Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 26th Jan 2007 at 11:57 PM Last edited by beehive : 27th Jan 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: need to ask more questions
Default roofing instructions help needed
I am new to this and I want to learn. I am following your instructions and found that I had this instead of what your instructions look like
I am using simspe 60b version

What do I do here with this . It says advanced open by group id then it says open by guid and after that it says open by crest name ? don't know what this all of this means
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 27th Jan 2007 at 4:48 AM Last edited by niol : 28th Jan 2007 at 3:41 AM. Reason: sorry, my eyes were getting blind... :P
beehive,

updated:
sorry, my eyes were getting blind... No, I didn't realise the pic was made smaller by the browser I was usiing that made me think it was the finder. I've learnt that lesson now .

Just click the "start" button for the in-game objects supported by the game itself as well as CEP, or click the "open" button to select the custom objects you wanna recolour.

or, you're trying to send a pic for updated infos for the advanced preferences?
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 27th Jan 2007 at 7:42 PM
Default I don't think if is the finder
Noil , I don't think that is the finder as I got it when I had clicked on the advance tab. I had object workshop open are you sure about this as object workshop was open .

tks for helping and can use more of the help
Part-time Hermit
#79 Old 27th Jan 2007 at 7:51 PM
Those options in Object Workshop show up when you use Advanced Mode, yes. You can just ignore them if you don't need them. You can turn off the advanced mode in SimPE Preferences.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 28th Jan 2007 at 7:37 AM
Default My first roof my first anything
I have followed the instructions and came up with my first roof. Now I did see where a guid number is recomended and I do not have one. How do I get a guid number.

I have the roof that is the instruction in my game but it will not show up in the catalog. So I use the other red roof for this. I hope that is ok for the instructions.

tks for all of you help
Screenshots
Test Subject
#81 Old 28th Jan 2007 at 8:51 AM Last edited by neirike : 28th Jan 2007 at 9:31 AM. Reason: adding
Default Thanks but a problem here..
Hello, Numenor.
Thanks for the great tutorial.
I've made several roofs for my own, and I had a little problem that I can't fix by myself.. so, I ask you for help.

I think I did all right just like you said.
but the problem is, I 'cloned' the roof, but the original roof changed to the roof I made.. so that made two new roofs. even though I made one.
You know what I mean??
So.... original Maxis roof that I cloned disapeared.......
It's the same for custome fences I made. and custome contents mark(*) doesn't appear for some of cc I made.. actually, most of them.. so I can't delete in the game.. Why is that happen?

What is the problem? What did I do wrong?
Please help me~~
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 28th Jan 2007 at 11:19 AM
Whenever a custom creations replaces the original Maxis one, there is a GUID problem.

Talking about roofs and fences, the GUID is created automatically by SimPE, choosing one randomly.
This "random" GUID is quite safe: there are millions of possible GUIDs, and it's very unlikely that SimPE chooses an already existing GUID; nevertheless, it IS possible that this happens (though it might happen ONCE: it's almost impossible that SimPE chooses the GUIDs for TWO custom roofs, and both are already used by Maxis!)

One solution to this problem is the one lined out in step 4 of the tutorial: if you are an object creator, and you have already registered come GUIDs for custom objects, then you can re-use one of those registered GUID; but if you never registered any GUID, then just skip the entire step 4: there's no need to register a new GUID purposely for the new roof (or fence).

The second solution to the GUID problem is the most suitable for you: just start again from scratch, and clone again the Maxis roof; SimPE will create a new random GUID for it, and - as said - it's almost impossible that SimPE can make a "mistake" a second time.

Anyway, you say that you have created some fences, and they suffer for the same problem; and you also mention that some "cc" you created replace the original Maxis items in catalog: therefore, I guess that you are making a mistake while following the tutorials; as for custom roofs and custom fences, just follow exacytly the tutorial, and SimPE will automatically take care of the GUID problem.

As for custom objects, the problem is quite different: SimPE will NOT create a random GUID for the objects; you must manually register a new GUID for them.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#83 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 6:42 AM
Thank you, Numenor for your kind answer..
I went over the tutorial but I don't think that I did something wrong...
So,,, I think the only solution is that I have to remake Maxis roof since I don't have registered GUID.
Well,,, It is really wired thing this happened to me.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 7:16 AM
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 9:41 AM Last edited by Numenor : 30th Jan 2007 at 9:47 AM.
Niol, Neirike: for roofs, fences and neighborhood object is NOT required to register a new GUID. If you already have registered a GUID in the past for an object, then you can re-use it (an object and a roof *can* have the same GUID, without any problems).
Registering GUIDs when it's not needed only leads to a waste of GUIDs, that are not infinite...

EDIT: I've written a tutorial about GUIDs (LINK), but I'm still haven't finished the part regarding roofs etc. (coming soon)

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Part-time Hermit
#86 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 9:52 AM
neirike said earlier that she hasn't registered any GUIDs before, in which case she'd probably has to register a whole new GUID for this purpose since there is no old object GUID to reuse.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 7:02 PM
Probably I wasn't clear in my previous posts...

I said that yes, SimPE might choose a random GUID that conflicts with an existing GUID; but the chances that this happens a second time are so low that we can consider them null.
Of course, reusing an already registered GUID (which doesn't exist, in this case) would grant the 100% of chances to get a really unique GUID; but cloning the roof a second time would grant again almost the 100% of success, without the waste of a GUID (actually, the waste of an entire GUID block, unless Neirike is creator of objects: I still haven't got a confirmation on this)

That's why I suggested, and still suggest, to just clone again the roof.
On the other hand, if Neirike has already created some objects, then she should first reserve a GUID block for herself (as explained in my tutorial), then register a GUID for her object, and then re-use that GUID for the roof.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 31st Jan 2007 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spencer
This is the roof i made.

Congratulation! It's nice to create your own stuff, isn't it?

Test Subject
#91 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 12:20 AM
Ah.. I'm not an object creator yet, but I will be. (I'm trying!)
And... some of my recolored roofs and fences don't have custom contents mark(*) on their icons in the game. They appeared just like Maxis original roofs so that I can't delete them in the game. I ask this because some of people who use my recolor roofs complain about this and I don't know what to do or what is the reason.
Could you help me one more time??
Mad Poster
#92 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 4:37 AM
neirike,

if you've made them base game compatible and that means you input string values to fool the game to recognise the custom fences or roof recolours as in-game contents instead of custom objects.
But, I'm unsure if this is the reason why the files of them have to be manually removed outside the game to remove these custom contents.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 9:25 AM
I think Niol is right; anyway, if something doeas not have the asterisk, can only be removed by deleting the package from the Downloads folder.
Users should not complain about it: they should only follow the instructions that you (hopefully ) posted along with the roof recolour.

Test Subject
#94 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 10:23 AM
Thank you so much! both niol and Numenor~
Test Subject
#95 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 12:41 AM Last edited by simsgirl604 : 24th Feb 2007 at 12:52 AM.
I don't undurstand... Where can I find the "object workshop" download??
Part-time Hermit
#96 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 5:46 AM
simsgirl604, Object Workshop is included in SimPE, you don't have to download it separately.
Test Subject
#97 Old 1st Mar 2007 at 10:00 PM
What a fantastic in-depth tutorial!

Unfortunately though, when I tried to create a custom roof, the roof I was trying to base it on (Tanned Slate) disappeared from my game, and my custom roof didn't show up!

I read step four but as the SimPE link (http://sims.ambertation.de/reguser.php?&action=menu) wasn't working I just kept the randomly selected one that was already in the box. Then I went on to step five, copying it into the other fields. Then I fired up the game and found that the roof I cloned and based my custom roof on had vanished. And also the custom roof I tried to make wasn't showing up

What's also weird is that a few days later, I downloaded a custom roof from TSR and found that it didn't have the custom object star in the thumbnail. Could this have somehow replaced the Tanned Slate roof?

Would it be also possible for you to explain about the roof GUIDs? I'm just wondering what GUIDs we should and shouldn't use.

I'd really appreciate your help!
Mad Poster
#98 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 7:36 AM Last edited by niol : 8th Mar 2007 at 3:14 AM.
Laduk,

The roof recolour you got from TSR was added after the problems have already been there, so it should be unrelated.

As for your roof recolour-clone, I suspect it interferes with the cloned default roof colour. you may wanna double-check if anything missed from steps 4 to 5.

The major purpose for steps 4 and 5 is to input IDs to fool the game to recognise the custom roof recolours as default roof colours. Thus, you see no asterisk.

Good lucks.

Should the problem persist, may upload and attach it to your post(s) here.
Someone may check it for you.
Test Subject
#99 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 2:37 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I skimmed throuh the tutorial again and I think I forgot to rename the package on step 2! After deleting the recolour the tanned slate roof has reappeared and I was also able to recolour it okay after that.

Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#100 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 2:15 AM
Laduk,

so, the "set custom group ID" wasn't checked.
Glad you can do alright after that particular instance.
Page 4 of 5