Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 6:19 AM
Default Laptop Advice
Hello,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. Looking to buy a new laptop as my good ol Macbook Pro has given up. After years of struggling to play Sims 3 I want to buy something that will run it somewhat decently (not looking for perfection, just something that you know plays the game and a couple EPs smoothly!).

I know these posts are annoying but I'm looking at an Acer Aspire E15 E5-551G-57QN, hard drive 8GB SSD + 1TB HDD, AMD FX 7500 Quad-Core Processor, RAM 16GB DDR3 and AMD Radeon R7 M265 (2GB). It's on eBay and because of the large RAM think it's a one off ($800 AUD). Can't afford anything more than AUD $1000 as I've just moved Down Under but any recs would be appreciated (though I know that's an annoying request!)

Hope someone can help me out, I've tried to educate myself about processors and graphic cards etc but it's all a bit confusing!

Thanks
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:31 AM
What packs do you have and plan to install? Is Sims 3 the only game you play or plan to get newer more modern games (ie release date 2016 and beyond)?

AMD APUs haven't had a good track record for Sims games. And anything that is classed as "budget gaming laptop" would give you some performance issues especially if you have Island Paradise. And I doubt you want to experience Mac-performance level on a new Windows laptop.

Would it be feasible to save for longer so you can stretch it to AUD$1500-1800 or thereabouts? I know Sims withdrawal is a thing, been there done that. But I can tell you, coming from the other end, it is worth the wait.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:38 AM
Sims is really the only game I play. Prefer Sims 3 to Sims 4 at the mo. I have all the EPs but don't really enjoy/play Island Paradise or Pets which I know are two big ones, but I do like Seasons/Late Night/Ambitions/Generations.

I was thinking about saving but I kind of need to buy a new laptop asap for work so was hoping I could find something decent for the Sims. I had a Macbook Pro but the performance wasn't that great to be honest, I had to bootcamp it just to make the game playable and even then had a lot of lag. I have seen on other forums people saying AMD APUs aren't the best so maybe I should give this one a miss.
Thanks for your help!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:41 AM
Is this the laptop? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire...0QAAOSwPcVVozwS

Spending 800 bucks for a 30-day warranty? Erm, kinda risky...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 8:37 AM
Yeah, that's it. You're probably right, gonna give it a miss I think. Man I miss the sims though! Hopefully I can find something soon.