Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 4:45 AM
I have never heard of being chaged to update a driver from NVIDIA and, I have used thier Gpu's for over a decade. Driver updates are free, automated now with thier driver search tool and quite easy to do.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 6:20 AM Last edited by midnightmonkey28 : 5th Apr 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: new information
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - Uninstall
    This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3, and its packs (EP/SP).

If you're reinstalling because you're reverting to an older patch, or just do not want to use the Launcher/EADM to patch, read this FAQ Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki once through before patching and then follow the guide.
I believe you were already instructed not to double-post? Please heed staffs' instructions or you'll be racking up warning points.

The link I provided was just to start IE and where to find the link and the How-To for the screen on the Windows Updates.
But if you're able to locate from your Programs list - it is the same thing. So you're caught up on Windows Updates, all rebooted and Windows loads up fine - can surf, watch DVDs, open Word or whatever programs you usually use on this computer?

Then, let's proceed to the game...

Now this change the whole ball game, 25 posts later...
Let's start with bare necessities and establish a baseline.

I'd like you to uninstall everything to do with Sims 3 (every EA-related program except for Sims 2 stuffs, if you have that on this machine), clear up all the stuff as instructed in the FAQ, reinstall the base game only, unpatched! If you choose the Custom Installation type, you can choose not to install EADM at this point.

I want to try just The Sims 3, and nothing else.
Do not restore CC (Sims3Packs or .packages), do not restore save games, do not pass Go! Do not install Framework.

Load up the game and post back with the result...

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.

edit: in response to the patching to 3.2 post
And...? Does it work or still crash?

Ok I have tried my game with the new patch and it still crashes.

I am sorry about the double posting please forgive me.

Ok thanks I will try this, just the Sims 3 by itself and nothing else and I will edit this post with the results and not double post.

And I am sorry I should have said it has always crashed I am a total idiot.

[EDIT] Ok sorry I took so long, I installed just Sims 3 with no EADM or store content, just plain Sims 3 and it still crashed.

[EDIT2] I think I get pop ups to update Adobe Flash Player.
Also how do I know what version of javascript, directX I have and what is .net framework? When I did windows update I just clicked update without reading it.
[EDIT3]

Somethings not right, I'm sorry, I'm literally retarded, Slim Shady, I think that's my name.

Hi my name is Marshall Mathers I'm an alcoholic, I've got a disease and they don't know what to call it, you better hide your wallet beacause I'm coming to strip yo cash!

JUST LOSE IT AAAARRGH!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#28 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 3:35 AM
Partly my fault for giving the links but not mentioning that you need to answer the same questions. I'm sorry if I came across to strict/harsh, but it got your attention, didn't it?

You remembered about updating the IE8, .net framework and DirectX as well? If these do not appear in the Windows Updates list, you can search Microsoft's site and download them to install.
While you are at it update Flash (from adobe.com) and Java (from java.com) as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 11:08 AM
Do you know anything I could try? I'm desprerite.

Sorry I had to doube post otherwise it looks like I haven't replied.

Somethings not right, I'm sorry, I'm literally retarded, Slim Shady, I think that's my name.

Hi my name is Marshall Mathers I'm an alcoholic, I've got a disease and they don't know what to call it, you better hide your wallet beacause I'm coming to strip yo cash!

JUST LOSE IT AAAARRGH!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#30 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 8:08 AM
Quote:
When I did windows update I just clicked update without reading it.
That? Is a bad habit!...not lecturin', just sayin'...
You should always read everything about anything you want to install into your computer, else you have all sorts of virus, spyware and malware, etc.

First, let me explain about double-posting: If someone has replied, and you need to say something, just click Reply. If no one has replied and the last post is your own, then you click Edit.

Software Updates
You can check the current versions of the applications below in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel - to see if they are the same from each of the pages linked below. I found these the same as anybody else would - I googled them.Note that Adobe Flash and Adobe Air are 2 different things. Adobe Flash is what Launcher and Internet Explorer needs to visit EA websites, Adobe Air is something EADM requires to run.

You could also try this:
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Please go to your start menu and type msconfig in the search box.

Go the the 'Startup' tab. Uncheck EVERYTHING but your antivirus and firewall, if you have one.

Go to the 'Services' tab and check the box that says "hide all microsoft services". Again, uncheck EVERYTHING else but your antivirus and/or firewall.

Click ok and it will prompt you to restart your computer. Restart your computer.

Back to the game
Quote:
I installed just Sims 3 with no EADM or store content, just plain Sims 3 and it still crashed.
At what point does it crash,
  • at the loading screen or
  • while you're
    • playing
    • building
    • saving
    • in CAS?
    (after how long?)

Confirming you're now on gameversion 1.0.631? No EADM, no framework and no CC?
And you're not using any nocd-cracks, are you? If you don't know what these are, than that's fine, you don't need to know.

Quote:
6.Are you running the game in windowed or fullscreen mode?

Full screen mode.
Try playing in Windowed mode: Open \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\options.ini in Notepad, and look for the line below and change the value from "1" to "0" so the line now appears as shown. Save the file and exit Notepad.
Code:
fullscreen = 0

Quote:
7.Are you starting the game via Launcher or the .exe?

Launcher.
Don't start via Launcher, bypass it: Game_Help:TS3_Bypassing_the_Launcherwiki

Hardware issue?
This is sounding more and more like a power supply issue. You would have to power off and unplug the power source from the socket, open the computer casing and check that all the cables are seated securely and copy down and post back here the information on the sticker regarding the watts and model number of your Power Supply Unit.

No other method to do that, unfortunately. Just be extra careful...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 11:52 AM
That? Is a bad habit!...not lecturin', just sayin'...
You should always read everything about anything you want to install into your computer, else you have all sorts of virus, spyware and malware, etc.

First, let me explain about double-posting: If someone has replied, and you need to say something, just click Reply. If no one has replied and the last post is your own, then you click Edit.

Software Updates
You can check the current versions of the applications below in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel - to see if they are the same from each of the pages linked below. I found these the same as anybody else would - I googled them.Note that Adobe Flash and Adobe Air are 2 different things. Adobe Flash is what Launcher and Internet Explorer needs to visit EA websites, Adobe Air is something EADM requires to run.

You could also try this:
Back to the game
At what point does it crash,
  • at the loading screen or
  • while you're
    • playing
    • building
    • saving
    • in CAS?
    (after how long?)

Confirming you're now on gameversion 1.0.631? No EADM, no framework and no CC?
And you're not using any nocd-cracks, are you? If you don't know what these are, than that's fine, you don't need to know.

Try playing in Windowed mode: Open \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\options.ini in Notepad, and look for the line below and change the value from "1" to "0" so the line now appears as shown. Save the file and exit Notepad.
Code:
fullscreen = 0

Don't start via Launcher, bypass it: Game_Help:TS3_Bypassing_the_Launcherwiki

Hardware issue?
This is sounding more and more like a power supply issue. You would have to power off and unplug the power source from the socket, open the computer casing and check that all the cables are seated securely and copy down and post back here the information on the sticker regarding the watts and model number of your Power Supply Unit.

No other method to do that, unfortunately. Just be extra careful...

Yeah, I really should, even though I always run virus scans.

Aright now I understand the rules about double posting.

Ok, I downloaded the DirectX and when I ran the installation it started installing then I got this error message:

An internal system error occurred.
Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem.

I searched my start menu and no files matched my search.

It crashes anywhere in my game and the time could vary around 5 to ten minutes or not much more.

I'll admit it, I'm a noob! Or a fracking idiot which ever you prefer.

I'll download the rest of those things in the links you provided and I'll tell you if anything goes wrong.

I woulden't dare to open the casing, besides it's more complex than you might think, it's a $2,000 dollar proper gaming computer and the tower is bigger than normal and it has patterened shaped windows so you can see inside of it, it has all different multi-coulored lighting inside and two big blue lights on the front, so yeah I woulden't even think of opening the case, I can't afford to buy a new one.

JUST LOSE IT AAAARRGH!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#32 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 5:56 PM
Also, (I forgot this little titbit in my post above) when you're installing stuff, read to make sure they are not including bloatware that you don't need or would ever use. Like options to include toolbars in IE8 or Firefox and whatnot.
And..I had forgotten to ask if DxDiag is now showing the OS as Windows Vista Service Pack 2?

Everyone starts of as a n00b, no worries. Just that we can only help so much without sitting next to you and you need to help yourself and to do that, the only way is to read, that's all. Especially if you have trouble understanding things, read it over, try again and don't worry about posting back here too soon. Take your time to do it right so as not to create more issues. If the thread gets archived due to inactivity, you can always PM one of us to reopen it, rather than starting a new thread and losing the history of all the steps we've tried.

- If you don't understand any of the terms, that's perfectly fine, it's ok to say so and we'll try to explain it without using too much computer jargon.
- If you get an error, just state what you've tried and what error you get each time, 'cos I don't have a satellite looking into your bedroom or study or wherever. I don't even have a telescope or pair of binoculars.
- And if you get stuck, state at which step, and we'll try to figure out a way around that roadblock.

You could attach the .log files here (in Advanced, not Quick reply -> click Manage Attachments) and I'll see if I can decipher Microsoft's cryptic error codes.
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it? Some of these applications cannot install over itself, or they would prompt you if you want to do a "Repair" or "Remove". I would suggest to always "Remove" and then reinstall.

You can't see all the way inside to the PSU to peek at the model number through the window in the casing, could you? I guess that would be too good to be true.
If this PC is still under warranty, what do the support staff have to suggest regarding this issue? And ask them about BIOS updates if you're calling them - "BIOS Date: 08/27/08" from the DxDiag report is too outdated for newer 3D games and other applications. There's no model number or manufacturer stated that I can check to see if there are newer versions for the PC.

IMO, a $2000 PC is a dead-weight if it cannot do the things I want to do without me having to run circles and jump through hoops of fire, just so I have a pretty box to look at. For that amount of money, you should hound the support staff of the PC manufacturer or the shop that build this gaming rig for you. :D

ps: sorry for that wall of text and all my other ramblings. my philosophy is always give more info so you have other options to try if one doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 8:09 AM
Also, (I forgot this little titbit in my post above) when you're installing stuff, read to make sure they are not including bloatware that you don't need or would ever use. Like options to include toolbars in IE8 or Firefox and whatnot.
And..I had forgotten to ask if DxDiag is now showing the OS as Windows Vista Service Pack 2?

Everyone starts of as a n00b, no worries. Just that we can only help so much without sitting next to you and you need to help yourself and to do that, the only way is to read, that's all. Especially if you have trouble understanding things, read it over, try again and don't worry about posting back here too soon. Take your time to do it right so as not to create more issues. If the thread gets archived due to inactivity, you can always PM one of us to reopen it, rather than starting a new thread and losing the history of all the steps we've tried.

- If you don't understand any of the terms, that's perfectly fine, it's ok to say so and we'll try to explain it without using too much computer jargon.
- If you get an error, just state what you've tried and what error you get each time, 'cos I don't have a satellite looking into your bedroom or study or wherever. I don't even have a telescope or pair of binoculars.
- And if you get stuck, state at which step, and we'll try to figure out a way around that roadblock.

You could attach the .log files here (in Advanced, not Quick reply -> click Manage Attachments) and I'll see if I can decipher Microsoft's cryptic error codes.
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it? Some of these applications cannot install over itself, or they would prompt you if you want to do a "Repair" or "Remove". I would suggest to always "Remove" and then reinstall.

You can't see all the way inside to the PSU to peek at the model number through the window in the casing, could you? I guess that would be too good to be true.
If this PC is still under warranty, what do the support staff have to suggest regarding this issue? And ask them about BIOS updates if you're calling them - "BIOS Date: 08/27/08" from the DxDiag report is too outdated for newer 3D games and other applications. There's no model number or manufacturer stated that I can check to see if there are newer versions for the PC.

IMO, a $2000 PC is a dead-weight if it cannot do the things I want to do without me having to run circles and jump through hoops of fire, just so I have a pretty box to look at. For that amount of money, you should hound the support staff of the PC manufacturer or the shop that build this gaming rig for you. :D

ps: sorry for that wall of text and all my other ramblings. my philosophy is always give more info so you have other options to try if one doesn't work.

What are .log files and whereabouts are they on the computer? (sorry if I sound like an idiot)

Yes when I reinstalled it I diden't go to reinstall I uninstalled TS3 and all of the EPs individually and I then restarted my computer and then reinstalled TS3 only without anything else.

Ok if I do get an error I will tell you everything I've tried.

JUST LOSE IT AAAARRGH!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#34 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 7:11 PM
These logs won't be in Start Menu. If your system is set to clear the TEMP folders, old files and error logs might have been deleted.
Don't worry about the DirectX error log files for now, I believe you might have gotten that error if the installer tried to install over it again (though I just verified the link and reinstalled it with no issues).

I think the DirectX is up-to-date now, since you had updated to Vista SP2 recently via Windows Updates?

You can confirm this yourself. A new DxDiag report would reflect this on the OS line and on the DirectX version as "6.00.6002.18005".
Compare it to the old report you posted for Vista SP1, it showed "6.00.6001.18000"

If your DirectX version is still showing the old one, we can try another download link.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 5:27 AM
These logs won't be in Start Menu. If your system is set to clear the TEMP folders, old files and error logs might have been deleted.
Don't worry about the DirectX error log files for now, I believe you might have gotten that error if the installer tried to install over it again (though I just verified the link and reinstalled it with no issues).

I think the DirectX is up-to-date now, since you had updated to Vista SP2 recently via Windows Updates?

You can confirm this yourself. A new DxDiag report would reflect this on the OS line and on the DirectX version as "6.00.6002.18005".
Compare it to the old report you posted for Vista SP1, it showed "6.00.6001.18000"

If your DirectX version is still showing the old one, we can try another download link.

Ok here is my dxdiag report:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/15/2010, 14:25:38
Machine name: VALUEDCLIENT-PC
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/27/08 13:54:36 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1929MB used, 4426MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0605&SUBSYS_34A21458&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1777 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9713 (English)
DDI Version: 10
BGRA Supported: Yes
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/16/2010 16:51:59, 9386088 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4545-11CF-1952-A9141CC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0605
SubSys ID: 0x34A21458
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

JUST LOSE IT AAAARRGH!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#36 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 7:18 AM
That looks good. All the other stuff installed without issues?

Have you loaded up the game via the TS3.exe? Still the unpatched v1.0, yes?
If that still crash, are you still on fullscreen mode or have switched to windowed mode?
Page 2 of 2