Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 4:42 PM
Default Is it a good time to upgrade to Windows 10?
Out of curiosity, I decided to avail the free upgrade to Windows 10. But there are two things that are making me consider to cancel my reservation:
  • Most of my hardware needs updating since I'm such a bloody wuss to do them myself (I'm scared of breaking something due to not updating it properly and I can't carry a bulky CPU down two winding flights of stairs all by myself)
  • Compatibilities to my games and software (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2 and Source Filmmaker on Steam; The Sims 3 and 4 series on Origin, HitFilm 3 Express; QuickTime; Spotify; Adobe Reader and Photoshop)

Is it still possible that once Windows 10 is available to those who have reserved by tomorrow, I can delay the update until I have my hardwares fully-updated and the softwares be deemed compatible with the new OS?

The Random Simming (Mis)Adventures: A Simblr.

Currently playing Generation Two of the Senna Legacy Currently on a hiatus.

My current and former system specs and game settings can be found here. CC, mods and Store items are listed here.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 4:56 PM
If you bought a retail license of Windows 7, then no. Wait.

Right now your Windows 7 retail license allows you to reinstall Windows as many times as you want, as long as its only active on one machine at a time.

The wording of the "free" upgrade worries me. It says its valid for the "lifetime of the machine" which sounds an awful lot like OEM licenses. Basically if you change your hardware your license is gone.

Tomorrow you wanna upgrade to Skylake? Too bad, no more license for you.

Also forced updates on Windows is already breaking things for people. And Windows sends back data about what FILES you have etc. Collects Data, records audio. Usually its harmless non-personally identifiable data, but I would wait and see.

Plus there's all the other points your brought up.

You've got a full year to decide if you want the upgrade or not. Take advantage of that and see how Windows unfolds.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 5:56 PM
Thanks, man. Just as long as it won't force me to upgrade to 10, then that's good. I need to get the hardwares and DixrectX properly updated. Also, I'm having some trouble with my SteelSeries The Sims 4 mouse now. Which reminds me, is it safe and okay to remove a folder from the Program Files folder (e.g.: deleting the SteelSeries folder after uninstallation)?

And another thing: is it better if I just cancel the upgrade reservation?

My current and former system specs and game settings can be found here. CC, mods and Store items are listed here.
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 9:34 AM
No don't cancel it if you already took it. Just let it sit.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 9:50 AM Last edited by karnzter : 1st Aug 2015 at 6:06 PM. Reason: removed another question as that has already been resolved
Thanks, man. Will let it sit for now until I think it's good to get the new OS soon.