Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:16 AM
New Desktop Computer Help! Thanks!
I'm looking for a new desktop computer to play Sims 4 + Add ons + lots of downloads/mods. I would like a computer that will be good for a couple of years and more Sims games. I have no idea what to look for and I can't build my own computer because I have no idea how to do it. I would like to order one online either from amazon, best buy, dell or another big seller in the USA. My budget is about $800.

I found this computer on amazon and I'm wondering if it is a good choice?

System: AMD FX-6300 3.50GHz Six-Core | AMD 760G Chipset | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | Genuine Windows 8.1 64-bit
• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card | 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive | Audio: 7.1 Channel | Gigabit LAN | Keyboard & Mouse
• Expansion Bays/Slots Total(Free): 3(2) Ext. 5.25" | 4(3) Int. 3.5/2.5" | 1(0) PCI | 1(0) PCI-E x1 | 1(0) PCI-E x16 | 4(3) DIMM 240P
• Connectivity: 4x USB 3.0 |4x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | Wireless 802.11bgn | Audio | 1x Mini-HDMI | 2x DVI
• Chassis: Apevia X-Sniper 2 Gaming Mid-Tower w/600 Watt Power Supply | 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty | Free Lifetime Tech Support
$700

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

or this one?

System: AMD FX 6300 3.50GHz 6-Core; AMD 760G Chipset; 16GB DDR3; 1TB HDD; Genuine Windows 8.1 64-bit
• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB Video Card; 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive; Audio: 7.1 Channel; Gigabit LAN; Fan Control Panel; Keyboard & Mouse
• Expansion Bays/Slots Total(Free): 3(1) Ext. 5.25"; 6(5) Int. 3.5" / 2.5"; 1(0) PCI; 1(0) PCI-E x1; 1(0) PCI-E x16; 4(2) DIMM 240P
• Connectivity: 4x USB 3.0; 4x USB 2.0; 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000; 802.11b/g/n Wireless; Audio; 1x DVI; 1x HDMI |1x VGA
• Chassis: Aerocool Xpredator X1 Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/400 Watt Power Supply; 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty; Free Lifetime Tech Support
$770

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

This one from BestBuy.com

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor
Smart dual-core, four-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.
8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.
1TB hard drive for ample file storage space
Holds a significant collection of digital photos, music, HD videos and DVD-quality movies. 7200 rpm spindle speed enables rapid read/write times for handling large files and complex applications.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics
Driven by 2GB dedicated video memory to quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.
NZTX Phantom 240 gaming case
Provides a sleek look.
4 USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
Also includes 4 USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).
Wireless and wired network connectivity
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN connects to your network on next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi standards. The Gigabit Ethernet LAN port plugs into wired 10/100/1000 Mbps networks.
Windows 10 operating system
Offers an intuitive user interface.
$800

or this one also from BestBuy.com

iBUYPOWER
Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system preinstalled
Upgrade to Windows 10 for free** - it's easy. Learn more about Windows 10 ›
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 3.2GHz processor speed.
Intel® Core™ i5 processorFeatures smart 4-way processing performance
with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
1TB Serial ATA III hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 graphics
Feature 2GB dedicated video memory for lush visuals. An HDMI output, a DVI port and 3 DisplayPort outputs enable flexible connectivity.
4 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11ac)
Allows you to connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Enables quick and simple wired Web access.
$720

If these are bad choices, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to order a good computer.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 12:27 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 7th Aug 2015 at 6:37 PM.
If you can wait a few months, then wait. Like maybe till Black Friday / Cyber Monday, which is like 4 months away? Intel just launched new CPUs, and new motherboards. The new motherboards support DDR4 which is worth waiting for in my opinion.

If you want it now, go to www.ncixus.com by following the links below. Add each item to your cart by clicking the red "Add to Shopping Cart" button on the right-hand side.

TOTAL: $792.81. They will assemble it for you, install the OS and ship it to you.

I included Windows 7 64bit because its cheaper, but ideally you should get Windows 10. It's just that if you buy Windows10 seperately, you'll have to install it yourself. *shrug* It's not a big deal. We already know that The Sims 4 runs on the Win7, and I'm pretty darn sure it runs on Win10. It's just that Win10 seems really good in the future in my opinion.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
If you can wait a few months, then wait. Like maybe till Black Friday / Cyber Monday, which is like 4 months away? Intel just launched new CPUs, and new motherboards. The new motherboards support DDR4 which is worth waiting for in my opinion.

If you want it now, go to www.ncixus.com by following the links below. Add each item to your cart by clicking the red "Add to Shopping Cart" button on the right-hand side.

TOTAL: $792.81. They will assemble it for you, install the OS and ship it to you.

I included Windows 7 64bit because its cheaper, but ideally you should get Windows 10. It's just that if you buy Windows10 seperately, you'll have to install it yourself. *shrug* It's not a big deal. We already know that The Sims 4 runs on the Win7, and I'm pretty darn sure it runs on Win10. It's just that Win10 seems really good in the future in my opinion.

Thanks. I don't see a graphic card in this build? Also I never heard about this store. The computer I found online are not good enough?
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 9:49 AM
The graphics card is listed. It's the MSI Radeon R7 370 Twinfrozr V.

The store is reputable. You may not have heard of it, but computer hobbyists and enthusiasts have.

The computers you found are very average and, technically speaking at least, are "good enough". But they are also overpriced. You're getting performance and more bang for your buck with the build I listed. The GPU is significantly more powerful, and all the parts are good quality. OEMs tend to use cheaper discount parts.

iBuypower has used refurbished parts in its "new" builds in the past, causing people to have lots of problems with them. If you search this forum you'll see we don't recommend people get iBuyPower.