Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
shiny!
retired moderator
#51 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 2:30 PM
The New Testament is Jewish? That is BULL SH**T. I stopped reading there. Unbelievable comment to blame Jews for Christians being mixed up by taking something entirely Christian and trying to associate it with Judaism.. which it is NOT.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
There will always be misinterpretations, regardless

Only if you judge them to be misjudgements; we all have different views about issues etc and will always say that someone who has read the same thing we have and thinks different has misjudged or misread them. What you believe is true could be called a misjudgement or misreading by someone else.

Just playing Devils Advocate here
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
The New Testament is Jewish? That is BULL SH**T. I stopped reading there. Unbelievable comment to blame Jews for Christians being mixed up by taking something entirely Christian and trying to associate it with Judaism.. which it is NOT.

Um... WHAT? I didn't see him blaming Jews for anything. Maybe if you had read further you might have understood what he meant. And you don't think it even had any connotation with Judaism? After all, was Jesus not a Jewish man?

I'm not sure how offended I should be by that post... or for which party.
Theorist
#54 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 8:10 PM
Christianity was born out of Judaism, by Jews, who felt that Christ was the Messiah talked about in the Old Testament. Isn't that really common knowledge? The Jewish God Yahweh is Jehovah, God the Father in the Christian Trinity (Christ and the Holy Spirit being the other two aspects of the same God, not 3 separate deities). Saying that the New Testament was written from a Jewish perspective is not inaccurate at all, as it was Jews who wrote it. It was not written in Hebrew, it was written in Greek for the most part, but, anyone who wants to claim that the New Testament is not directly influenced by Jewish culture and the Torah are kidding themselves, as those who wrote it were not only directly influenced by Jewish culture, they were part of Jewish culture.

Either way, it makes total sense that John, when he wrote the Book of Revelations, and the passage about a new heaven and a new earth, would be influenced by his own culture. No need to get pissy about it, Callistra, the New Testament HAS to be heavily influenced by Jewish culture. Considering how it came to be, it would have to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?

Page 3 of 3