Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2007 at 8:09 PM
The World’s Next Elite Photographer||Final round scores & comments up!
(This belongs in other)
Yay, my first contest ever, and it’s about something I absolutely love and hope to make a living off of (no, no, really, I do!)

As the title suggest, this contest is about photography and photographers (of course, graphic skills are a must as well in this medium). The main focus here is on the art form, not just ‘models’ or stories, but the wonderful and colorful aesthetics of photography. Having said that, there will be more than just one genre of photography, so creativity is definitely key here!

Okay, so there are genres of photography that people are very familiar with *coughfashioncough* but there is much more out there that you can easily work with in the game. Here’s a list of the genres you will be using and the description for each one.

Samples for each genre

Note: These are not all the genres of photography, but among the most popular and doable with the Sims2.

Architectural
Exterior
Interior

In game: For all those home owners and builders, this is a great way to showcase not only our photographic talents, but your beautiful homes, businesses, and any building that just screams ‘look at me!’ Even for those who only download them (like me), it’s a good way of showing a tribute to the architects.

Ground level shots are always the best to work with, especially with interesting and provocative angles, and when it comes to interiors, remember to be in cameraman mode so that everything shows!

For the contest: Okay, so this is pretty much like many of the ‘model’ contest’s round entries that are like ads, except that for this contest, you can make it of anything. Why stop at cosmetics, when there’s a world of subjects to advertise out there, anywhere from vacation destinations to even a rather sassy shampoo ad or even just a regular cell phone ad. Either way, remember, it’s not just about selling the product here, you also have to sell the photograph to the judges!

For the contest: Ah, this is among my favorite genres of photography, but also one of the toughest to achieve simply because there aren’t any real rules to this field. That being said, conceptual photographs are only as limited as your imagination, which hopefully for most, it’s unlimited!

For the contest: I don’t think I need to elaborate much on this one, I’ve seen enough beauty contests to know most have a very good handle on this genre. Either way, remember that for this contest it’s not just about the model, but the over all photograph and content.

For the contest: Fine art photography is what I studied in college, and like conceptual, pretty broad range of ideas and subjects you can use. When creating Fine art pieces, take into consideration that it doesn’t have to be beautiful or even pretty, but striking; an image that no matter where you go, you’ll never forget, a photograph that can evoke any emotion, even if it’s anger.

For the contest: A very big note on this: Glamour photography is NOT Fashion photography or even portraiture, it’s very different in the sense that it focuses more on the person rather than any clothing or ‘product’. Tastefully done nudes is something that falls under this category, but that’s not the only way to make glamour photographs. Be original, but stay true to its form. I know it can be easy to stray towards fashion photography, just keep a mindful eye on your photographs.

For the contest: I know there’s isn’t very much of ‘nature’ within the game, except for pets and such, but under this category also falls landscapes, and there are many pictures around here I’ve seen that would make great landscape photographs, so don’t limit yourself.

For the contest: Portraits are among the most classic and traditional forms of photography, especially since it’s one of the first, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t be creative about it. Remember, unlike fashion or even glamour, Portraiture focuses on the subject, not just physicality, but who they are as a person. Some of the best portraits I’ve seen aren’t of models or anything like that, but of regular people, captured in the comfort of their sanctuary, whether it be their home, bedroom, workplace or even the park, as long as the photograph captures who they are. Most of the time it’s good to have surroundings that demonstrate who they are, but sometimes it can just be as simple as a black background, letting their eyes and expressions tell their story.

Urban Photography
Street
Night
Candid

For the contest: This is a very broad term and I made it so to include other wonderful sub categories like street, night and candid photography. I think they’re pretty self explanatory, but so as to leave no ‘confusion about them, here goes.

Just imagine walking down the street out in a public area, how many things are going on spontaneously? How many people capture your interest? So many things are going on in a single street that the options are endless. Of course, in this scenario, you would be setting most of it up, but just imagine what you would see on the streets, and let it go from there. Let that imagery fuel your photographs. In street photography, it can be about anything, people, a ‘situation’ or quite simply a funny sign that made you laugh (lord knows there’s many of them out there). Again, this is only as limited as your imagination!

Night photography are usually cityscapes, photographs that capture the darker and luminescent scene of the city at night. I think the fact that the downtown section in the game really looks so much like a city helps in this aspect. I think that’s the reason why I have it like its night all the time, lol. Now, just ‘cause it’s usually of cityscapes doesn’t mean you have to make it so. That’s why I’m putting these sub categories under one genre, so you could have an amazing ‘street’ scene that’s taken at night…ah, see? It all comes together. :P

Candid photography is capturing spontaneity at its best. It’s not just about the street or night scene, but more about the ‘in the moment’ scene where the real focus is on the situation presented in the frame. Although candid photography isn’t limited by location in reality, for the simplicity of the contest, we’re going to leave the ‘urban environment’ as the theme for candid photographs.

Ah…okay, breathe, for now we’re moving onto the rules section of this ‘introduction’. *dum dum dum*

Ah, the tedious part of it all, but what makes it organized while eliminating misunderstandings.

A) Contestants will choose only one genre of photography for the entirety of the contest. That is, if you choose conceptual photography, you’re sticking to it through all the rounds. Absolutely no switching to another genre in between rounds. So please make sure the genre you choose you can work with well and to your best talents!
B) Please turn in photographs by the allotted time. There will be no extensions. I realize that some of the genres are bit more difficult setting up than others and for this reason I won’t be making as many rounds so there is more time in between. That being said, there shouldn’t be any excuses for missing a deadline (of course, real live situations that hinder you are different from ‘I totally forgot about it and did it last minute’ cases).
C) I think it’s safe to say that photoshopping is allowed. In fact, I would say it’s a must, especially for conceptual, commercial, fashion, urban and even glamour photographs. Put your best graphic skills to the max!
D) This isn’t a rule as much as it is a note, but if it’s not adhered to it will be as punishable as a rule. Basically, for genres such as Fashion, and especially commercial photography, they cannot be real ads. The focus here are the photographs, not the products, so please, no ‘product titles’ or inserts of a product. Think of the photos you turn in as the ‘base’ of an ad. You know you’ve done a good fashion/commercial photograph when a title isn’t necessary to get what you’re trying to ‘sell’ through the image.
E) Only one application per contestant. I understand that some would want to tackle several genres through several applications, but to minimize ‘clutter’ and inconsistency, it’s better if you stick to one only for this contest. Most could be time consuming enough alone, and it’s never advisable to take on more than you can handle. If this contests goes well, there will be a cycle two, so for those who would like to take a stab at another genre will have their chance to do so. Besides, practice makes perfect, so focusing on one genre through out the contest should improve your odds for the final round!

Judges
1. Foolinthemoon
2. Vaalyah
3. Daltonism

Emergency Judges
1. SkZ
2. Scout
3. JocusDorkus

The overall score will be based upon a hundred point system.

Overall creativity: 30 points
Subject matter/content: 20 points
Composition: 20 points
Execution: 20 points
“It speaks to me”: 10 points

*You may enter as yourself or one of your sims (it doesn’t matter if they’ve been in a contest or currently are)
*Your sim if you choose can be from Teen-Elder of any race.

Name:
Genre of specialization:
Experience:

Headshot:
(optional if you have chosen a sim as the photographer)

Portfolio: (show your best work here. For this instance it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t match the genre you chose to specialize in just as long as you show your art and skills in general. Between 2-4 photographs )

Application Round: 11-15th
Round 1: 16-21st Timer
Round 2: 23-28th Timer
Round 3: 1st-4th
Final Round: 8th-12th Timer

Two absolutely gorgeous sims for the winners delight!
A million thanks to MagicBeans for them!

And wonderfully made Retro/punk inspired clothing
by none other than Nostalicpaty. Another million thanks
to her and her friend who kindly donated clothing for men!
Link to Prizes
Male Prizes

And just when you thought there couldn't possibly be anymore, there is!
Thanks to Tyler who donated this wonderful set!

"The grey cells, the grey cells! They are my most potent friends!"
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 1:34 AM
Approved 6.10.07
Ends 7.15.07 (Extension Given)

***Do NOT post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.***

Formerly known as boolPropped
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 3:02 AM
Checking in!
I'm checking in! Let the games begin! Ah well, contest that is...

1. Sebastian Fox (SimsArtThat): [Fine Art] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  2. Cin: [Conceptual] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  3. Spiffyriffic: [Glamour] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  4. Carmilla: [Urban] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  5. Celias Davies (Lomelindi): [Nature] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  6. Malien (Simdealist): [Fashion] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round
  7. Spongity: [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Final Round

:weep: Dropped out, disqualified or eleminated :weep:
Tyler: [Glamour] Application
Jessica: [Commercial] Application
Paolo (poky92): [Fashion] Application
Jessica McPherson: [Urban] Application
MagicBeans: [Portraiture] Application
Jen: [Portraiture] Application Round 1
Razine (Cari): [Conceptual] Application Round 1
SimGameFan: [Commercial] Application Round 1
Jaime Ashley: [Portraiture] Application Round 1
Niamh Murray (funheart): [Portraiture] Application Round 1
Slice: [Glamour] Application Round 1
Mumo: [Commercial] Application Round 1
Babblesim: [Fine Art] Application Round 1 Round 2
Leigh: [Architectural] Application Round 1 Round 2
Trillian Rikku: [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2
Alexia (Dreea): [Glamour] Application Round 1 Round 2
Julieth: [Glamour] Application Round 1 Round 2
Haroz: [Commercial] Application Round 1 Round 2
Joanne: [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2
Hunter (alexisaiger): [Conceptual] Application Round 1 Round 2
Jana (Gerbera): [Architecture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Crazysoul [Urban] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Anna Richmond (rainbowshoes): [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Emily Blake (Jonesi): [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Essa [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Zaggy: [Portraiture] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3
Teajunkypanda: [Fine Art] Application Round 1 Round 2 Round 3

Scores & Comments
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Final Round

Banned
#4 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 4:16 AM
Name: SimGameFan (can I use my username?)
Genre of specialization: Commercial
Experience: Mostly commercial, modeling pictures, pose manipulation, and portraits.

Instructor
#5 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 4:29 AM
This contest sounds great and I'm really interested. I have a question though. You said there would be fewer rounds with more time alotted for each round. About how much time per round? I'm asking because I'm going out of town on Friday (June 15) and won't be back until the following Wednesday (June 20). If I got my app in before I left, would I have enough time to submit round 1 after returning from vacation? If not, I'll enjoy watching.

EDIT: *fainting over the party that seems to have entered the thread* :howdy: Foolin and Magic!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 4:55 AM
*comes in*

*Trips over Alexis* sorry!

*gets up and hugs Jocus*

*squeee*

I've got alot going on... sooo... you've got a pm from me :D

I'm an old simmer who just can't seem to quit...
#7 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:00 AM
*skips in*

*trips over Foolin, who tripped over Alexis*

*gets up and hugs Alexis, Foolin and Jocus (not to be confused with Jorcus)*

Sweet! A Jocus contest! Need prizes my dear? *waves hot male sims in front of Jocus's face*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:53 AM
First off... :dsausage: YAY! *does the contest is underway happy dace* We've already got one application! SimGameFan, most definitely it's okay to go with your username, and I love the application, especially the second photograph. Makes me think of Fergie's 'Glamorous' song, just gorgeous.

*does a mega flying glomp to Foolin and MagicBeans and Alexis* You have no idea how you've all made my day just by passing through here

As for your question Alexis, I was thinking leaving applications open 'till Friday the 15th, starting round 1 on the 16th and closing it around the 21 or 22, depending which ever fits for you and other contestants as well. I just went over the calender and counted and with having each round about five days, we can easily make four rounds, and still have a couple of spare ones for those extensions when absolutely needed. It's your call, though I would love to have you on board!

And Magic...*follows the prizes with her eyes hypnotized* Need prizes? Most definitely! And gorgeous men are always a good way, no wait, a great way to go! Hehe... I would just love it!

Man, I still feel like I'm at the beach...it's too hot in here! LOL

-Jocus Dorkus still squealing with glee- :hat:

Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 7:02 AM
I would SO!!! enter this, but I`m going in Tunis betwwen 18th and 25th this month ( Oh man...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 7:08 AM
*dodges the pile of people on the floor and runs into a wall* Yay, I'm in! Now to decide what kind of photography to do...ah, so hard!

*counter culture since '03 and counting*

"LMAO wtf r u syaing?!!1!"
The above sentence is not english. I only understand english. Thank you.
#11 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 7:24 AM
Ah Jorcus!!!
*trips over everyone and lands in the only puddle*
You know I said I'll enter, but I am dubious to how far I'll get
Can I enter a sim who has been in another contest?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 7:45 AM
I would love to have you Dreea, but I understand about the timing, however, if you think you can work around that, than please do join! If not, there's always the next cycle. :D

Whoa! Careful there Julieth and Fun, don't want you guys to get hurt and be unable to participate! I most definitely would love to see your application Julieth and yes Fun, of course you can! Feel free to grab one of your many gorgeous sims!

Ah, now I'm off to bed, sleep beckons, but I'll shall be back in the morning to check in.

Take care everyone!

-Jocus Dorkus cuddling in bed warmly- :P

Forum Resident
#13 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 8:33 AM
*made a mess* XD My day is now complete! *hugs everyone all at once*

I'm so excited to judge and can't wait to see all the applicants!

I'm an old simmer who just can't seem to quit...
Theorist
#14 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 8:55 AM
Sounds great. I don't know if I'll enter since I plan to retire or at least have a *coughlongcough* break from contests.
I really like the concept but I need to think about it.
#15 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 1:53 PM
Now all I have to do is read through all them descriptions :P
Soon my application will be up though... yes, no-one can get away from me *evil laugh* hehe :P
#16 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 2:10 PM
Name: Slice
Genre of specialization: Glamour
Experience: 2 years [Editorial/Commercial fashion, portrait, glamour]

(Portfolio)

Theorist
#17 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 3:06 PM
Default Questions
How many pictures will be required per round? Will we have to explain what we do or will our pics speak by themselves?
BTW your samples album is private. A login is required.
Instructor
#18 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:01 PM
Default Application--Hunter
Thanks for the reply to my question Jocus. I think I'll be able to do this, though I'll probably be pulling an all-nighter when I get back from vacation. :D
--------

Name: Hunter
Genre of specialization: Conceptual
Experience: 6 months (Commercial, Fashion, pose manipulation and editing)

Headshot:

Portfolio:

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:11 PM
Well I've sent a pm to be a judge. Unfortunately I'm not good enough at photoshop yet and my graphics are a bit pooey. But all these entries are amazing. *eyes stick to the screen-
#20 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:15 PM
Wow, a contest where I can create nothing but fine art sims photos??? (falls over)

Alexis! Magic! fool! Essa! funheart! lol, and hi everyone...

Jocus, I'm tremendously excited about this one. Consider me in.

I wonder how such diverse genres can be compared for judging....but ok I'm over it lol, I'll get something together later. Will the app/portfolio round be judged?

Hmmm conceptual or fine art....
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:36 PM
Yay I've been waiting for this contest to come up since I saw it on the waiting list. I'll have my application up either today or tomorrow.
#22 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:38 PM
lol.. Sims :howdy:
Daltonsim.... I can't photoshop to save my life.. yeah, plus the fact i don't even have photoshop, you'd do great :P
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:10 PM
The only thing I can do on photoshop is things like my avatar. But toherwise I'm so bad.

Anyway, I'm now a judge! Woo! And the talent here.. *Le gasp*
This is going to be hard.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:29 PM
Yay, I know! *huggles Foolin*

Essa, I can't tell you what to do, however, if I can convince you to 'retire' with a bang here on the contest, then, you must join! As for the pictures per round, I was thinking perhaps from two to three, max being three and little description is required. The thing is to take a photo that is self-explanatory. That of course doesn't mean that you can't 'present' your work through describing it or even a short poem of sorts! And I hadn't realized that, I'll fix it now!

Fun, that is of course considering if we wanted you away, which we don't! And yes you can photoshop to save your life! LOL

Slice, love the application, particularly the last photograph, gorgeous.

Alexis, that's a great application! I really love the headshot for Hunter, and don't worry, if Dreea gets on board I'm also giving her an extension that you can make use of so you don't have to loose sleep over this!

The application round will not be judged Destin, however, the contestants that wish to have their apps critiqued by the Judges can go ahead and request it and the judges could PM to them. One of the reasons for doing this is because some of the portfolio photographs may not fall under the category which they chose to specialize in, rather a collection of their best work, and it gives contestants a chance to show off in their fields for the first round.

As for the judging, it's mostly going to be technical, and according to the genre that was chosen. But there are a couple of factors that are general through each which I've chosen to use as a guide, one that I learned in class as well while studying photography.
Overall creativity: 30 points
“It speaks to me”: 20 points
Composition: 20 points
Execution: 20 points
Subject matter/content: 10 points

But do enter Destin, it would be great to have you here!

Great Carmilla, I'll be looking forward to it! :clap:

And yes Daltonism, I must agree, all apps are great so far! And yes, there is much talent, it should be wonderfully difficult! LOL

P.s. I changed the photobucket account to public, so the samples link should work now.

Ack, I also forgot to mention that I'm good with Judges, now what I need are emergency judges. Thank you everyone!

-Jocus Dorkus still dancing the happy dance- :elephant:

Theorist
#25 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsArtThat
Thanks for the warm welcome, Jocus! I have a great feeling about this contest already

Same for me here.
I was sure I'll see you there Destin. :howdy:

Quote: Originally posted by Jocus
Essa, I can't tell you what to do, however, if I can convince you to 'retire' with a bang here on the contest, then, you must join! As for the pictures per round, I was thinking perhaps from two to three, max being three and little description is required. The thing is to take a photo that is self-explanatory. That of course doesn't mean that you can't 'present' your work through describing it or even a short poem of sorts! And I hadn't realized that, I'll fix it now!

Your contest is very tempting. You overestimate me though. I'm not great at explaining things in english. I'll better go for self-explanatory pictures. :D
I think I'll go for portraits if I enter.

Page 1 of 38