Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 5:27 AM Last edited by sickwit : 13th Feb 2014 at 3:29 AM.
Default Getting game to read my graphics card
Okay to start things out... I have read and tryed to follow the link below

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game

I cannot seem to follow it very well as the step by step instructions dont make much since to me and dont get into enough details that i need.

The graphics card i have: AMD R9 290 (not 290x)

Can someone please help me figure out this step by step process, I am begging for assistance.

This step: Open GraphicsCards.sgr file and this step Open GraphicsRules.sgr file i cannot follow, as i do not have a basic Radeon HD 7000 series card, i have an AMD R9 290 so i have no clue what my stuff should look like, and the tutorial that was created goes into very little details. Its a very bad designed tutorial.

Please someone help me!

I cannot play any of the sims as my game is lagging really hard when i try to move the mouse around on screen, this is my last ditch anwser to try and fix this

Computer specs

AMD R9 290
Intel i7 4770k (4.2GHZ)
8GB DDR3 ram
250GB SSD and 2TB HD

Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67B1

Bump need help bad!!!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 12:48 AM
bump it up please. really need help,.
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:22 AM
The tutorial seems fine to me... The file you're talking about, "GraphicsCards.sgr", is installed by The Sims 3 on your computer regardless of what graphics card you have. It doesn't matter if you have a 7000 series or a R9 290.

Step 1: Find the "GraphicsCards.sgr" and "GraphicsRules.sgr" files. They are located on your computer in the same directory where you installed The Sims 3. For example if you're on Windows, they could be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin like me, but it depends on where you installed The Sims 3 on your computer.

Step 2: Make a backup of the two files by copying them and pasting them right where you found them.

Step 3: Take the copies you just made, and move them somewhere safe in case you need them later.

Step 4: Assuming you have the correct Device ID and Card name, open the "GraphicsCards.sgr" file, and search for the other AMD cards that already exist. Add your own at the bottom of the section that has AMD cards, such that it is in the format similar to this: 0x6819 "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series". Of course yours won't be AMD 7800 series, just edit the hexcode and the card descripition to match the Device ID and Device description of your card as it appears in your DxDiag report.

Step 4: Open "GraphicsRules.sgr" file. Search for the existing AMD cards, and follow the tutorial portion that deals with "GraphicsRules.sgr". In the same way as Step 4, even though it says 7800 series in the tutorial, you don't input the information for the 7800, you input the correct information for your particular card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
The tutorial seems fine to me... The file you're talking about, "GraphicsCards.sgr", is installed by The Sims 3 on your computer regardless of what graphics card you have. It doesn't matter if you have a 7000 series or a R9 290.

Step 1: Find the "GraphicsCards.sgr" and "GraphicsRules.sgr" files. They are located on your computer in the same directory where you installed The Sims 3. For example if you're on Windows, they could be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin like me, but it depends on where you installed The Sims 3 on your computer.

Step 2: Make a backup of the two files by copying them and pasting them right where you found them.

Step 3: Take the copies you just made, and move them somewhere safe in case you need them later.

Step 4: Assuming you have the correct Device ID and Card name, open the "GraphicsCards.sgr" file, and search for the other AMD cards that already exist. Add your own at the bottom of the section that has AMD cards, such that it is in the format similar to this: 0x6819 "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series". Of course yours won't be AMD 7800 series, just edit the hexcode and the card descripition to match the Device ID and Device description of your card as it appears in your DxDiag report.

Step 4: Open "GraphicsRules.sgr" file. Search for the existing AMD cards, and follow the tutorial portion that deals with "GraphicsRules.sgr". In the same way as Step 4, even though it says 7800 series in the tutorial, you don't input the information for the 7800, you input the correct information for your particular card.

correct iv got that, but the thing is... the second part the graphicrules is based on the 7800, i do not know what i need for the R9 290

With further analysis, I've determined I needed to copy+paste this snippet of text
or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6??0*")

Click to enlarge
And rename as
or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*")

That part confuses me as mine is a R9 290... what would i make mine?
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:36 AM
You open the rules file. It already has entries for the 6000 series. You copy the entries for the 6000 series, and input them following the 6000 series in the same format and edit it for your card. Look at the second screenshot.

The editor copied: "*HD 6??0*") or match("${CardName}",

And added it right after and edited to make it look like: "*HD 7??0*") or match("${CardName}",

You need to take: "*HD 6??0*") or match("${CardName}",

And edit it to match your card info. I don't have the card you have, but from the info you have given me I would assume it should be something like: "*R9 290?*") or match("${CardName}",

Then you just take that, input it into the correct spot just like in the screenshot, save the file and follow the rest of the tutorial.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
You open the rules file. It already has entries for the 6000 series. You copy the entries for the 6000 series, and input them following the 6000 series in the same format and edit it for your card. Look at the second screenshot.

The editor copied: "*HD 6??0*") or match("${CardName}",

And added it right after and edited to make it look like: "*HD 7??0*") or match("${CardName}",

You need to take: "*HD 6??0*") or match("${CardName}",

And edit it to match your card info. I don't have the card you have, but from the info you have given me I would assume it should be something like: "*R9 290?*") or match("${CardName}",

Then you just take that, input it into the correct spot just like in the screenshot, save the file and follow the rest of the tutorial.

I have an R9 290... i dont know that information, dont know what i would put in. the AMD R9 290 is not a 7000 series or a 6000 seriers... its a brand new card. The location is not the problem... The information i need is... as everything is shown for older cards, such as the 7k series or 6k series... I do not know how to edit the file for a AMD R9 290 not a Radieon 7k card.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:50 AM
Try using this:

"*R9 290?*") or match("${CardName}",