Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 11:47 PM
Default Trying to replace the mask of a TM top -- help?
I'm just getting started with TS3 creating, and I'm having issues with the most simple thing ever, which is rather disheartening and makes me feel stupid. But since I can't seem to figure this out for myself, I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.

I'm trying to edit the mask of this teen male top so that the pockets are the same color as the rest of the torso (i.e. they will be green in this preview):

I added a new design. I extracted the mask from under Textures --> Mask & Overlay Details --> Mask. This is what the original mask looks like:

I then edited it in PSP9 so that it looks like this:

I then saved it, choosing the save format No Alpha (DXT1). I replaced the mask with this edited mark, pressed commit, and reloaded the textures. This is what I got:

Wtf. Leave me to screw up such a supposedly simple thing. I've read through at least three different tutorials to try to figure out what I'm doing but can't find anyone with the same issue as me. I'm. Baffled. :/ Help?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 12:59 AM
Looks like it's a four-channel outfit - body, sleeves/pockets, cuffs, and buttons. So save the mask in the same DXT format as the original, probably DXT3, as DXT1 nukes the alpha. Nuking the alpha makes the game interpret that channel as all white, so the fourth channel, defined by the white alpha, covers all.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 1:09 AM
Format is DXT5 with interpolated alpha
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 1:17 AM
You can always check the format by recloning the item, and looking in the bottom right(?) of the View DDS window for that texture.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 3:08 AM
Yesss! Thank you both so much -- I was trying to interpret tutorial instructions too literally without understanding the reasoning behind it all. Now that I get it, I was able to make it work. Thank you!