Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 10:25 PM
Default Turning a Loveseat into a Sofa?
Ad you guys probably know by now, EA has a habit of making one thing, in this case, the loveseat that came with Into The Future, but not an item to accompany it. In this case, it would be a sofa to match the loveseat. So my question, therefore, is simple: how would I go about making a sofa to match the ITF loveseat?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 3:10 PM
You want to get the mesh of a sofa and the ITF loveseat. I usually would import both meshes into blender (or any other 3D program you're familiar with) and resize it. If needed, tweak it a bit till it looks like something nice. You might need to delete parts of it, but looking at the loveseat, from ITF, that one is pretty easy to change since it isn't really detailed in a way, like most sofas and loveseats in the sims 3.
You do need to clone a loveseat in TSRW to make it work out, else the game thinks there is enough place for 3 sims to sit on it.

Just export the textures and reimport them into the loveseat cloned project and that's about it! ^-^

Unless you want the game to think there is only place for 2 sims, instead of changing the size, which is just basically exporting the textures, the WSO files (if you work with TSRW of course) and just reimport them into a cloned loveseat.

If you want me to create a small tutorial about it, do let me know!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 7:43 AM
Would you, Greenplumbob? That would be great. Plus I'm sure it would help others who would like to do that same thing.
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 7:23 PM
Here we go!:

(You do need to know Blender's basics, although I will add some needed shortcuts to the tutorial).

First you want to export your mesh. For the S3OC way I would recommmend checking this tutorial out to export the mesh: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...s/830/index.htm
Anyway, this is the method I feel comfortable with, which is, by using TSRW. I wouldn't recommend to get the latest TSRW version, since this version could corrupt your downloads, and a lot of things are just broken. So get this version instead!: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...005426/tsrw-172

Let's get started!

- Open up your TSRW.
- Click 'Create new project'
- Click Object (The chair icon)
- Expand 'Comfort' by clicking the small + next to the text.
- Click (in this case) 'Sofas and Loveseats'

- Choose the couch you want to change the size of. I'll go with Sofa ranch
- You don't necessarily need to give it a name, since we're just borrowing it's mesh and textures.

- Now our sofa is loaded, switch to the tab 'Textures'

- You'll be seeing several textures, to export them all, you need to export them one by one. So let's start by clicking on the 'Mask' (or overlay, although not many couches got overlay textures).
- You can either double click on the image, or just click on the image and click on the 'edit' button.

- Now another window pops up, with different buttons on top of it. The box with the inwards arrow (import), and the box with the outwards arrow (export). Click the box with the outside arrow.
- And now you want to save it (still as a DDS) in your work folder, or whatever folder you're using. I'd delete the entire name though and call it 'mask' or any name of the texture you just exported so you can easily import them back later on.

- Do the same progress over and over again with all the other textures you can find and keep saving them with their actual name, not the given name by TSRW.

- Now switch to the mesh tab.

- Next to the 'High level of detail' you'll find the same export button like we saw when exporting the textures. Click the button.

- Switch it from WSO to obj. There is a Blender WSO plugin out there but it doens't seem to really work for me and most people out there.

- Now we exported everything we needed! But we aren't done yet with TSRW. Now you want to redo the entire progress again, although this time we don't need the textures but just the mesh. This will be your reference mesh, so it will be the correct size. This time you don't want to choose a sofa but a loveseat! And export the mesh as an OBJ as well.

- Now you can close TSRW

- Open your blender

- Import both OBJ (Though you can only import one OBJ at the time).

- This is probably how your setup will look like.

- Now move the reference couch (NOT THE ONE YOU WANT TO EDIT!!) backwards. Which you can do by going into edit mode, and select the entire mesh with 'a'. Drag it backwards by dragging it with the green arrow.

- This is what the correct setup will look like

- Click on the sofa (the couch you want to edit) and go into edit mode. To get a better view to edit, you want to use those numbers on your numberpad: 5, 1 and Z for Wireframe mode.

IF YOU DON"T HAVE A NUMBER PAD: Don't worry! You can do this instead:
- View (Can be found in the same bar as the Object mode/edit mode)> view persp/ortho.
- View> front
- Click on the small circle/sphere next to the edit mode/object mode tab and swith it to wireframe

Now that's settled, Let's turn our sofa into a loveseat!

- Make sure you got the Sofa selected (or the couch you want to edit, because this progress can be done the opposite way as well). and that you are in edit mode.

- Resize is with the shortcuts: S, x. the X will make sure that you're only resizing it in width. But do always check if it looks good at the sides. Sometimes it could make your mesh look odd.

- Delete the reference couch and the plane that came with it by selecting it in object mode and either use the delete button on your keyboard or 'x' on your keyboard.

- Now export your object as an obj.

In Milkshape, you can easily convert your mesh into a WSO file0 first you need to make sure you got the TSRW import/export plugin for Milkshape installed: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...le=Milkshape_3D

Just import your mesh as an Obj in Milkshape and export it as a Wso. (as far as I experienced, TSRW will add the bones to your sofa/loveseat automatically so you don't have to do this manually anymore).

WARNING: You can however import just the OBJ but it doesn't always work out, so I would, just for safety, do the OBJ to WSO in milkshape way.

- Open up TSRW.

- Click on Create new project> Object again and choose a loveseat (I would go for a base game loveseat if you are planning on releasing it publicly).

- Give it an unique name, like: Loveseat Ranch - greenplumbbob (If you would go with something like couch, sofa or loveseat, don't be surprised if someone else used that name instead. It will replace that one download or worse, will make sure both downloads aren't showing up at all in-game) and give it some nice description of your own!

- Switch to the texture tab and import the textures by double click on the textures

- Use the 'import' button that's next to the export button (The icon with the inwards arrow)

- Repeat this progress with all the textures. and make sure they're in the correct texture box. Multiplier in muliplier, mask in mask, etc.

- Now go to the Mesh tab and import your WSO file or obj, whatever you like. (same icon as in the texture window)

- And now you can simply export it as either a Sims3pack (File> export) or package!

For exporting packages: edit> Project contents. In that next window, Export and save your package with a name like 'sofa - greenplumbbob'. Just don't use my username please.

-----------------------------

And that's about it! Let me know if you got some questions
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 7:50 AM
Oh wow! Thank you so much for this, Greenplumbob! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I'm sure others will as well. Thank you.

I do have kind of a dumb question though. I have both Blender and Milkshape, but Blender tends to give me a headache (literally and figuratively) so I mostly stick with Milkshape. Just to be clear, I can do the exact same thing with Milkshape in the steps where Blender was used, correct? Just wanted to double check before I start my new project

And don't worry, I'm not going to use your username in my project. Lol. I understand it was merely used as an example., nothing more.
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 9:46 AM
Yes you can! It's literally the same method, as in: importing both obj files, selecting the sofa/loveseat you want to make smaller, etc. The shortcuts aren't the same though. Milkshape mainly works with, well I guess you know how things work with Milkshape so ^-^ Though for meshing, I find Milkshape a bit limited, but that's just my opinion.
It is however a great program to apply this method with. So if you want to do this in milkshape instead of Blender, you can certainly do that.

Hehe just checking! It has happened before, especially when people start teaching themselves script modding, they tend to use the same text as told in the tutorial. ^-^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 11:51 PM
Excellent! Thank you very, very much for this little tutorial, Greenplumbob!

Hehe, no worries