Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 10:38 PM
Default How do you layer clothing?
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand in explaining how do you create layered clothing? I am not sure if this is even the right term so let me explain. I mean clothing like a vest and a t-shirt under it or a jacket and a shirt and so on.
Since I am learning how to create clothes now, I've been trying different things, programs and etc.
So I was hoping that you could give some some tips and tricks on how to create such clothing.
I'm attaching two pics for better understanding of what I wish to create (I'm not sure I'm explaining myself right).
The first one is a pic of what I am trying to achieve and the second is a CC that I found which is closest to the design I wish to obtain (not sure if I need a base texture or if I have to create it myself) - I literally have no idea on how to proceed here.
Thanks for your help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 10:55 PM
When it comes to jackets, and layered clothing, people tend to make the jacket into an accessory. Thing is, if you'd turn it into an accessory, the more accessories your sim wears, the blurrier your textures on the jacket will become. Even if you got a HQ mod. Though it's a clever way to have layered clothing.

Before using anything that's made by a CC creator, DO read their TOU. If it's okay to use their meshes, well, then you can just simply borrow them. Same for the textures. You can however always create your own. And with layered clothing, you can choose between Accessory, or just going for a simple top with the jacket.

Keep in mind that Meshing is hard. People seem to use Marvelous designer these days, but even MD has it's bad sides. As in, sometimes it doesn't look that great and it requires a lot of practice, even though it looks so easy. Same for meshing.

I do have a tutorial about clothing meshing.(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...f6SdjhTA383CbKH) As you can see, I take the sim's body as reference and just create something out of that. Now a mesh like the one I make, is pretty easy. But a jacket can be a challenge. So, I would actually select the parts of the body (and deselect the part that's open like the arms and a part of the torso) and just separate it from the sim's body (p is the shortcut you want for that ) From there I usually try to shape something out of it. In fact, I actually used the method as explained before on a female jacket that I yet have to release.

Sorry for the rambling >-< Let me know if things aren't clear ^-^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 1:00 AM
Hi and thanks for your answer.
I am really still trying to figure out how do to stuff and sometimes I feel completely lost. I was looking through the CTU and its designs and couldn't find one that is close to what I was trying to achieve.
The pic I included (the one of the CC), I was just trying to figure out what texture to use and I thought that it would be easier if I find one that is the closest to the one piece I want to create and even though this one was pretty close, I couldn't figure out what to do with it/ how to change the vest itself.
Oh the Marvelous Designer - I've been dabbling with it all day because I also thought it is quite easy at the beginning and I've been trying to create my design there - we will see where it goes - I found a few tutorials so I am kind of rewinding and repeating them all day trying to figure stuff out.
And the meshing - it is really, really hard. I was trying to follow a tutorial I found here on creating clothes, texturing and meshing - got so frustrated that I couldn't even finish it.
Thank you very much for your answer and the tutorial - I will surely check that out and hopefully understand the whole "meshing deal". I've really gotten my head into this design and I hope I will get it right one day
Thanks again.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 4:38 AM
I want to layer shorts and pants over swimsuits and leotards