Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 6:49 PM
Default Creating Non-Default Skintones for Skininator utility in progress
First let me say that there IS a reason this is in the meshing forum and NOT the CAS forum. I had to choose between the two as my project relates to both and I wasn't sure if I would get in trouble for posting the same thread in both forums - so here we are

Now if you want to know the background and details involved in the utility that is in progress for creating NDSTs (non-default skintones to be referred to by the acronym from here on out) you can take a look at this thread:
Tutorial: Non-Default Skintones

Anyway I am begging the process of creating the MANY versions of skintones for TS3 to hopefully work in unison with this new utility.

Now I am familiar with the normal way to make skintones using the .dds texture file and yada yada yada - that is NOT what I want to do - although I will go that route if it is impossible to go the way I want.

I am using Cinema 4D with Bodypaint, as well as Hexagon for some things as well as S3PE to find files and Postal for exporting geoms to .obj

What I need help with in the meshing catagory is that I am trying to find the actual SIM body meshes and their connected UVMap. With both of these things than I can utilize Bodypaint and paint the texture on the Map in a 3d real time view.

Obviously this way is far superior to the paint on the .dds in photoshop process. But first I need that darn UV Map connected to the .obj. I am not a programmer LOL, I am a texture artist by profession but these Sim things are throwing me for a loop.

Can anyone help me with the location of the UVMap, what file it is contained in for the Sim bodies - any other additional information about how I might be able to retrieve and connect these files with the .obj.

I truly hope I am making sense. Unfortunately this process probably has 10 steps and I am missing information on about 6 of them, so this may seem confusing - but anyone (Wes) who is deeply familiar with meshing in the sims3 might be able to make some sense of what I am asking and help me out. I am willing to answer any questions for clarification purposes. I could really use some detailed help here.

In advance - Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 6:55 PM
The UV map should automatically be connected to the OBJ exported - there's no separate map stored elsewhere. It's part of the mesh file itself. If it's somehow being lost in your exporting process then I think there's something wrong - cos there's nowhere else to get it from. It's part of the normal SIMGEOM stuffs.

If I was going to get a mesh as an OBJ, I would use CTU to extract the mesh (just easier than using S3PE, IMO), import the simgeom into Milkshape, and export as an OBJ. You could alternately use Blender instead - or I could dig out the adult bodies and faces, since I'm certain I have those already exported.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:28 PM
Yes something is definitely going wrong in my process then. I have exported the .obj from files:
AfBottomnude_lod1
Aftopnude_lod1
afshoenude_lod1
(working on finding head files now)

anyway I open those .obj in Hexagon, C4d, as well as even UVMapper and I do not find a uvmap associated. I haven't really used CTU but I do have it, so I can try to figure out the export process in that.

I don't really want to pay for milkshape just to get the maps, I already have mucho$$$$ invested in the programs I am using - so I am really trying to avoid that, I'm sure there has to be a way for me to get them without spending $$. I could try blender, last I knew that was free. But it just seems odd to me that those low end programs would be able to do this and it is not possible with what I am using.

To me it seems then that it has to be the way I am exporting the geom to obj. Though I don't see any other way to do it.

Color me stumped!!! I will try the process in CTU - BUT if you do happen to find your files I would be forever greatful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my thread and respond - I appreciate all the help I can get, it is very valuable to me!!!
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:45 PM
Weird. You may be able to use Milkshape's trial version to do it, or you can just use the attached.

There's bodies/scalps/faces for adult, both genders, which work, mapping and textures-wise, for teen through elder. There's also faces/scalps for toddler (pu) and child (cu). No bodies for the younger ages as I've never needed to retexture them (I really don't care what the kids look like too much except in the face, y'know?) but I could probably grab those too if you reaaaaally want to retexture the kids bodies too.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ExampleBodiesandFacesTS3.rar (317.7 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 10:50 PM
WOW!!!! Thank you sooo much! These files do include the correct UVMap . They don't however include the feet LOL. It seems EA wanted to be pretty confusing with the feet files. They are listed as shoes. Should be af/amShoeNude_lod1 - and unfortunately I am having the same problem with that file. I can get the .obj but not one with a map attached. I hate to ask more of you, but do you happen to have them too?

No I don't reeaaally want to retexture the kids at this time LOL, eventually I may need to - just to make the file complete, but at this time I think I am just going to focus on these four that you gave me.

I really really really appreciate this file, you just saved me a TON of headache.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 2:06 AM

This is opening the file, get the same result in hexagon and C4D are you 100% sure that the feet are with this?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 2:43 AM

The same thing with the man. lol
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 3:43 AM
here, teen through elder/both genders
Attached files:
File Type: rar  feet.rar (40.8 KB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  maleuvmap.rar (12.2 KB, 18 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  femaleuvmap.rar (12.0 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:07 AM
Huh, maybe that's an old set. Sorry, I didn't double-check before I sent 'em on. I'll try to find you some feet when I don't have a wiggly toddler on my lap. :P

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 2:56 PM
lol - Thats ok! Thank you Base1980, those feet are exactly what I needed, I really appreciate that! The UVmaps are appreciated as well.

Totally understand the wiggly toddler thing...puppy+toddler is extra fun!
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 3:48 PM
Your welcome, had them alreay extracted as i updated them with 3d toes