Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 8:20 PM
Rotate an object with SimPE?
Hey guys, I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this, so if not, sorry in advance :3 Anyway, I'm currently trying to make a bug and bat display like this one:

and since I couldn't find any other base for it than
lagermonkey's butterflies in a frame

I was thinking that I could simply rotate it so that it's horizontally instead of vertically, I don't know how though, nor if there's anything I need to do to make sure the little buggies and bat appear the right way up And it would be great if I could change it to a simple object I can place on shelves and tables instead of a wall hanging So now I'm hoping I could do this with SimPE? I really have no clue about meshing and all that, I'm quite glad already that I know how to recolour So does anyone know how to do this? Or know a link of another framed display like this which I can recolour without having to rotate it?
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 12:57 AM
Generally speaking, you have two options for rotations: edit the 3D mesh or edit the CRES to make the game apply a rotation to the object. Which you choose is up to you, but you'll have different results depending upon which approach you use.

A CRES rotation would be a more advanced approach and is relatively easy since it does not involve much effort since you would be just changing a number or two. However you would be applying the rotation to the entire object. A 90 degree rotation to the left/right would be applied to both the frame and the bugs. Changing the mesh would be more effort, though not necessarily more difficult, and would give you more control over what gets rotated. I would imagine the frame and the bugs would be two different mesh groups, such that you could rotate just the frame mesh group and leave the bug mesh group oriented as it is.

But we're putting the cart before the horse here. If you have never made a standalone object before, you will need to follow the Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial to learn how to clone objects, give them a new GUID, and export/import meshes.

Once you have a standalone object, then you can proceed with changing the object placement so the object can be placed on shelves and tables. But that requires minor BHAV editing and you would first need to have sufficient SimPE experience and completed the Making Your First Custom BHAV Tutorial to get introduced to BHAVS and how they work.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...