Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Carpool Not Showing Up - FIX

by Erzengel Posted 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:17 PM - Updated 16th Dec 2008 at 1:20 PM by -Maylin-

66 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 65 Feedback Posts
Page 3 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#51 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 8:54 PM
All this is intended to fix is carpools or service vehicles not showing up due to missing portals. If you can call a taxi and a grocery van, and they arrive fine, then this fix won't do anything. If one or the other doesn't appear, then it's probable that you can use the collection and instructions to fix the problem.

I am relatively certain that it will work fine in nightlife, but I haven't lost any portals in Nightlife yet so I can't confirm it observationally, just theoretically.
Test Subject
#52 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 11:13 PM
Just to let you know, I applied this fix and it fixed it so I guess that was the problem. The gardeners and maids come as normal now. Many thanks!
#53 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 6:28 PM Last edited by dmchess : 12th Oct 2005 at 6:30 PM. Reason: typos
I've had a similar but less serious (just annoying) problem on one lot with carpools and taxis not leaving; when the Sim gets in they just sit there until the end of the hour, and then suddenly vanish. My first guess is that this is due to yet another missing portal; is there a "Portal - Car - Leave" or something? Might it be possible to fix this behavior with a buyable version of that object? Does anyone have one? Or is there a SimPE or whatever tutorial about extracting buyable versions of such things? (I'm generally pretty good at getting computers to do stuff, at least given the man page or equivalent...)

Tx very,
DC
Test Subject
#54 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 10:05 PM Last edited by BlackAngel : 11th Nov 2005 at 10:11 PM.
No posts in this thread in a while, but I still try to get some reply..

In my game nanny and one townie are stucked on the lot. Nanny runs around house, doing quite nothing, townie just stands on the pedestral with arms on her hips. (She might came from work with one sim which lives in this lot. Can't remeber, it's been a while when I last time played with this family and when I started it now, everyone had just got home before last save & exit).

I got pop-up that something is wrong when I tried to call groregy truck but there came loop, it didn't matter did I press "cancel", "reset" or "delete" that pop-up just kept popping. I closed Sims down by ctrl+alt+del and just ended process. In logfile there were all four car portals.

Can log be "broken" because I shutted Sims down that brutal way?

What I can do to get nanny (and townie) to get out while all car portals exist?

I really don't want to bulldoze this lot, there's graves of my two very beloved sims.

I'm playing TS2 with first patch.

EDIT: That pop-up nagged about nannymobile - 0,8 - #370. And there's notification at the top in log about this. Just don't know what it all means, I'm not modder..
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ObjectError_N001_t1370621.rar (8.1 KB, 17 downloads)
#55 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 3:24 AM
If you just have two outsiders stuck on the lot, and all portals seem to be in place, the first thing to try is to turn on moveObjects and just delete them. That usually works. The portal stuff is for subtler and more persistent problems; if you're lucky yours is a simpler one! (Unless you've already tried deleting them and it didn't work, in which case I apologize...)
Test Subject
#56 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dmchess
I've had a similar but less serious (just annoying) problem on one lot with carpools and taxis not leaving; when the Sim gets in they just sit there until the end of the hour, and then suddenly vanish.

*sigh*

I'm looking for a "Portal-LEAVE" also.
In our game on some lots the cars appear and the Sims get in but they never leave. They also do not vanish after an hour, the Sim will sit out there trapped in the car or taxi for days on end. Delivery and service cars also can not leave, they sit outside forever. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 2:33 AM
Default Yes!!
This problem plagued me for several days. I was afraid I'd have to delete one of my favorite houses because of it, and I had NO idea how to ask how to fix it or whether anyone else had troubles with it. WOW. Thanks so much. Your directions were extremely easy to follow. The fix worked like a charm. :moose: :moose: :moose: :moose: :moose: :moose:
Test Subject
#58 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 7:18 AM
You have my undying gratitude for this one! I, like many others, have a few lots that I avoided because of this problem. I was avoiding bulldozing them because I don't like having to build new houses all the time (I'm more interested in just getting in there and playing a lot of the time). So I was mourning the loss of about three perfectly good, decorated houses until now. And to think I remembered the problem and came here first on a whim, not really expecting to find anything...it worked flawlessly! I had to place my portal a little differently than it said in the directions, but that was easily remedied. Once again, many thanks for fixing what was the only major bug I have been experiencing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#59 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 10:37 AM Last edited by Erzengel : 19th Jan 2006 at 10:59 AM.
I haven't been able to continue work on this fix, I've been developing an unrelated game.

I have no idea why sims or vehicles might get stuck on your lot. In a normal house, there's:

Trash Can - Outside
MailBox
Portal - Pedestrian
Portal - Pedestrian
Portal - Car - Stop
Portal - Car - Start
Portal - Car - Service Start
Portal - Car - Service Stop

I do not see a "Portal - Car - Exit" or anything similar. I am relatively sure, but have been unable to verify by BHAVs because my home computer is out of comission, that when a car leaves it simply drives in the direction given by "Portal - Car - Stop" until it is off screen--no portals involved in determining when it is off screen. This supposition is due to the vehicle's behaviour when "Portal - Car - Stop" is turned at an odd direction: The vehicle will often go through the house until it leaves the edge of the screen.

My guess is that the car simply breaks. It somehow isn't informed when the sim gets in, or it is waiting for other sims that may or may not exist. At this point in time I would alt+tab, go into My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods and backup the current save, alt+tab back into the game, delete the car and sim, save & exit to neighborhood, and then reenter the lot (This brings the sim back). If it was a car pool you deleted, it will not show up again that day, so you'll have to take the job rating hit. It should show up the next day, but if problems persist, revert to the backup. If the problem continues... I don't know.

For the service people, if they show up but don't leave, at least you can delete them, right? You can't magically spawn them if they refuse to appear though. Again, the car is supposed to notice they've entered and then drive until none of the multi-part object is valid. If it's not leaving, it isn't realizing that it's supposed to.

As for peds, it's possible there's a problem with the "Portal - Pedestrian"s, it may be blocked or non-existant (you can check your logs for the latter case, there must be at least one "Portal - Pedestrian", but there are supposed to be two). I don't currently have the pedestrian portals in the collection. Unfortunately, someone else will have to do that since I can't access TS2 at the moment.

I'd guess that the problem is a bug in a hack. Having never experianced it I can't say with any certainty though.

Black Angel:
No, killing the application won't screw up your log file, the log is dumped when that pop up appears.
The error log you've posted indicates that its failing while attempting to create the Nanny. I don't know how this can fail, I'd have to take a look at the BHAV. Is it possible the Nanny is corrupted in some way?
#60 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:25 PM
Thanks much for the information!

Quote: Originally posted by Erzengel
My guess is that the car simply breaks. It somehow isn't informed when the sim gets in, or it is waiting for other sims that may or may not exist.

I don't think that's what's happening in my case; if it were that, I'd expect that eventually the carpool driver would eventually (not having noticed the relevant Sim(s) getting into the car) just give up and drive off normally. But what actually happens is that at the end of the waiting hour the car just disappears (quickly, but one piece at a time; looks pretty strange really!).

So maybe there are two things going on: the car doesn't realize that the passenger has arrived, and then when it wants to leave the lot it doesn't have a direction to drive in for some reason. Probably these are both caused by the same thing, but I don't know what it'd be...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#61 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 2:39 PM Last edited by Erzengel : 20th Jan 2006 at 2:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dmchess
if it were that, I'd expect that eventually the carpool driver would eventually (not having noticed the relevant Sim(s) getting into the car) just give up and drive off normally.

Not necessarilly. When it's waiting, it's waiting for either all expected sims or a timer to tell it "time's up". If somehow the car is being deafened to the messages it should be recieving (too many messages in the queue, messages being intercepted, a myriad of other possibilities), then neither the "sim entered" or "time's up" message will be recieved, and the car will remain there indefinitely--nothing will tell it that it's time to leave.

I don't know if this is what is actually happening in The Sims 2, I've just seen that sort of bug elsewhere and had to fix it.

If it didn't have a direction to go, it would raise an error and then TS2 would either show you the popup (if debug is enabled) or reset/delete the object.

Instead, it's sitting there indefinitely. This is the sign of either an infinite loop or the object being in an idle state.
#62 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 2:59 PM
It's not exactly sitting indefinitely; it vanishes right at the end of the hour every time. But that could be because there's some non-message-based mechanism that gets rid of it then even if it has become deaf to messages; a good thought! (Is there a good 25-words-or-less explanation, or a good tutorial somewhere, about how to extract the BHAVs for a builtin object like a carpool car from objects.package? I know how to open objects.package in SimPE Classic, but I don't know how to find particular things in the enormous lists. Is there some tool that's better for this purpose?)

Tx very...
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 11:40 PM
you can delete vehicle portals? 0.0 thought you could only do that in sims 1. but anyway i'll ad this download to favorites in case it ever happens to me.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 6:52 PM
OMG, I was getting really desperate after trying different stuff without success but this fixed it perfectly, thank you SO MUCH!
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:13 AM
I'm hoping this fixes my problem. Suddenly no cars are showing up for work )=
Test Subject
#66 Old 16th May 2010 at 6:13 PM
Thanks so much you really saved me there!
Inventor
#67 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 4:24 PM Last edited by Softlism : 6th Apr 2021 at 8:43 PM.
Bumping this thread because I have a portal issue in one of my old hoods. I've generated the error log file, and it seems like Car Service Start is missing in the log file. But when I go to Buy Mode, I can't place the item at all, even after enabling "moveobjects on". And it doesn't matter whether I go to buy mode before the warning appears or after unpausing for a few seconds and then seeing random NPCs and their vehicles and the warning message.

Can somebody help me out?

Edit: I use the UC version, so this mod doesn't work for me apparently -- Inge's buyable portals worked for me instead.
Page 3 of 3