Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#26 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 5:23 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 5th Sep 2009 at 8:39 AM.
I saw that thread. I don't mind old if it shows me what I need ( and I can follow it!)

My current budget command might work - don't know yet. I realised there were four args mentioned in the command, but the box of arg numbers said 3 - I'm hoping that's all that was wrong with it.

I think I need to know more about stack objects. I'm sure I saw an info thread around here somewhere, but first I want to see if the budget thing works now.

EDIT - nope, tree break remains. I'll work on it some more.

EDIT AGAIN: Hooray, the budget is working now. I had to work out the parameters better than I had yet done, so I understood what to enter where. Next, figure out the Me$ problem.

...I was thinking I needed to use an array for this, but I see where you have commented that they are rarely required. Hmmm.
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#27 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 10:08 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 5th Sep 2009 at 2:51 PM. Reason: latest info
solved the dialogue problem - had the syntax wrong, that's all. $Me works fine, no stacks or arrays needed.

I'm posting the current version of the Bugbox. It's working, mostly. Problems I'd like advice on if possible...

The guard function for the main 'investigate' interaction won't work at all - or rather, works too well. If I use it, the menu option never appears. If I disable it, all is well.

I want it to check the open/closed state of the box, and push the sim to close it, if it isn't already, or be able to 'investigate' if it is.

I have a view BHAV, set in a loop and using the skill exit test to help them stop viewing before too long. They seem to be ignoring the painting critique anims, and just looping on the bookcase browsing one. Their hands go on and off their chins endlessly, fun fills up, and they continue like that until almost dead from other needs. Obviously I've got something set up wrong there.

I also need to find a better animation for lifting the lid to close it, but that will just mean trawling through the list until I find something. Or living with the sell painting anim, which is good but too high for this object.

Thanks for your help.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AEBugBoxTestBroken.rar (196.0 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#28 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:42 AM
The problem with your guard function is that it's trying to run the interaction itself. The guard function is run almost continuously, any time you run your mouse over the object (even without clicking) or any time your sim is evaluating it as an autonomous action he or she might like to try. You can only put commands in there which are "immediate", that is, they don't cause any animations or changes in behaviour. Try the attached.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AEBugBoxDollhouseBase.zip (194.8 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
Original Poster
#29 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 10:58 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 6th Sep 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Yes, that works perfectly! Thanks.

Now I can work on the hilarious loop happening in the view interaction.

You have a black arrow pointing to the Close lid command, and I don't know what that means or how it gets there, but presumably that's why it works now. I had the guard function pared down to just the mesh check at one stage, but it still wouldn't work. Even though the same check was made (and worked) for the close lid guard, with only the graphic number different.

I'll re-read your post above and see if I can figure it out...Oh, it looks like you have orphaned the close lid command? Does that mean the game isn't going to try to run that, since it isn't connected to the rest of the command chain? But if that's it, why didn't it work when I only had the graphic check? Puzzling.

More Waffle: I altered my package, orphaning the close lid command in the guard function as it appears you've done....and now mine works too! WHY didn't it work when I had only the mesh check in there? My only thought is that it might have needed the lead tile ID command added, which I only did last night on the off-chance that would fix the problem. Otherwise I'm completely at sea.

I believe that 'close lid' command line is doing nothing now, so I should delete it, yes?

(And find some better anims and fix the view loop.)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#30 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:44 AM
Yes. (To all of those things)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 12:17 PM
Thanks.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#32 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 9:17 AM
I'm having trouble with the View and Close Lid animations.

I've currently got a dresser anim for the lid - "close-drawer". The interaction works, and there are no errors, but instead of 'closing the drawer', the sim falls to the ground! Then they get up, and go about their business. Why is that happening? It might be resetting, as I think there should be another animation happening afterwards.

The View interaction seems to be ignoring most of the animations I put in - all the painting-critique ones, in fact. Sims do the video browsing anim, then loop that one repeatedly without seeming to do the others at all. Before that, they looped the chin-rubbing one and did nothing else.

Presumably I've got it set up wrong, or those anims aren't any good to use. There are start and stop versions of some animations, should I be using them in sets of three if there are?

Latest package attached for general amusement.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AEBugBoxAnimTroubles.rar (198.7 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
Original Poster
#33 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 2:31 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 11th Sep 2009 at 3:19 PM.
While waiting for the next inspiration on the bugbox, I'm working on the basketry station. There are plenty of things wrong with it still, but I have got successfull skilling, the basket stub appearing in the hand, and have defeated three separate errors. Also, it is joinable, but there's no conversation yet.

It's very funny seeing a sim come along and take the project stub out of the working sim's hand, and then wash up the 'mug' they believe it to be. Must fix that, but it's amusing at present.

All in all, going reasonably well so far - mainly thanks to your tutorials, Echo, and your many replies in answer to others' questions. :lovestruc

Considering the conversation thing, how does the object know if there is someone to converse with? Do I need to tell it to check for that?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#34 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 5:44 PM
I noticed that in the "Interaction - Close Lid", at line 0x03, the code is:
Animate Sim (animation: "o2a-dresserDrawers-close").
The animation is related to the object, so the opcode should be Animate Object (0x0069), and not Animate Sim (0x006A).

As for the viewing animatino not playing, I can see nothing wrong in the BHAV; maybe you could point both the targets of the animation lines to the next line, instead of exiting to false (or, if you want to understand what's going on, you could point the false targets to Error, so that the game will stop and complain, if an animation can't be played...).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#35 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 1:25 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 12th Sep 2009 at 2:08 AM.
That's a good hint about getting an error for the viewing animations. Hadn't thought to try that.

And I didn't notice the drawers anim was an o2a instead of a2o. Since my object isn't a dresser and doesn't have drawers, will it work? Try it and see, I suppose. Thanks!

EDIT- Sadly, making it an object animation only raised an error ("could not find object reference"), as I suspected. I don't really know how to set up an object anim, so I don't know if that's fixable.

However, I have an oven anim in there now (not sure if that's in the last posted copy) which might have to do - unless I want them to fall on the ground, which was really quite amusing.

The view interaction seems to be working - there was no result when I pointed the last anim to return error on false. So it seems to be getting through the interaction, I just can't see the painting critique anims. I can try putting in the stop/start ones that match.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#36 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 3:02 AM
Oh, then I misunderstood: the inconstency is the "o2a" animation, not the "Animate Sim" opcode as a matter of fact, applying an objectanimation to an object thatit wasnot designed for will hardly work, so you'd better change the reference to the "o2a" animation to a suitable a2o one (but keep in mind that sometimes the a2o animations require the object mesh to be compatible; for example the "close oven" animation looks for the oven lid handle, and won't probably run if the handle is not found).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#37 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 7:36 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 12th Sep 2009 at 8:54 AM.
On the contrary, the 'close-oven' anim seems to be working.

Closing the oven isn't really the right action of course, but unless I find something better, it will have to do. The sim is trying to lift a heavy stone lid, so I need something with both hands. Haven't found a lifting one other than the easel sell, which is far too high for my object. I've taken the dresser animation out.

Haven't yet tried adding the painting crit add-ons to the view interaction. I'm hoping that might make them work properly.

EDIT - the view interaction is working better now, with painting-serious-crit-start put in. Still a bit jerky at the end of the loop, but I'm not sure if that can be fixed.

Next for this object is texture tweaking - shadows, edge definition etc.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#38 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 4:40 AM
Bugbox:
Here's the latest bugbox package; perhaps it's good enough as far as the modding goes. Any suggestions?

Basketry:
I know it's dark (happens to be night on the test-lot, must fix that!) but here's a picture to show the basketry station in use.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get conversation to happen while skilling. I've looked at a few objects such as chairs, but they all seem to be using a number of different commands, similar to, but not, the 'conversation enter area' one Echo pointed me at.

I've stopped sim cleaning up the 'coffee mugs' by making the interaction non-autonomous, but there are lots of mug BHAVs in the package that I probably don't need - is it safe to just get rid of them?

Package attached.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BasketryStation.rar (213.3 KB, 179 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Basketry station and coiled stub accessory
File Type: rar  AEBugBoxWorking.rar (195.4 KB, 182 downloads) - View custom content
Description: possibly good enough bugbox
Page 2 of 2