Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 11:58 PM
Okay, I'm going to throw another wrench into the discussion. Apologies in advance! I installed nouniprotect a while ago. Soon afterwards I started making dormies in some dorms selectable just long enough to check out their personalities and skills. One of these dorms was Sim State. I didn't peek at dormies in other dorms, like Pinenut. Strangely, it's the Sim State dormies who are constantly keeling over and being saved from death, while I can play Pinenut for 3 days straight without a single dormie showing any signs of distress. This is the pattern in my various dorms. Could making dormies selectable trigger the more extreme aspects of the mod? I can't imagine how that could happen, but it seems to be a little too consistent to be merely a coincidence.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 12:05 AM
I suppose it's not impossible that making them selectable unattached them from the code that is supposed to tell them what to do, beyond a playable not being controlled. Perhaps they forget how to disappear into their rooms to renegerate energy via magic.

Probably just a coincidence though, or something in that specific dorm not working for them.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 12:10 AM
Some dormies are smarter than others about doing what they need to do, just like some Asylum sims are smarter than others. I always find the same three or four dormies getting into any particular kind of trouble--there are a few who don't know how to find the bathroom, a few who don't know how to find anything fun to do, a few who can't figure out that there's food in the cafeteria, a few who are too clueless to find their dorm room or grab a nap on a sofa, etc.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 12:10 AM Last edited by tancred : 12th Jan 2015 at 12:15 AM. Reason: little clarification
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Perhaps they forget how to disappear into their rooms to renegerate energy via magic.

Actually, they do forget that! Sims who used to retreat to their rooms now just stand around in the dorm's public areas or outside for hours on end. My playables have to interact with them to snap them out of it. "Come in from the blizzard, Gavin!"
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#30 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 2:02 AM
Thank you Pico - saved me a trip to MATY. Yes, that's right. NL made it so you couldn't kill the buggers easily. Or accidentally.

Some people don't like that. Occasionally, I don't like that (so I didn't delete the mod, just took it out. Temporarily). Pescado evidently doesn't like it.

Y'know Pescado made lots of stuff that helps with the game, especially crappy coding causing problems but you really shouldn't trust him without questioning his motives.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#31 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 8:31 AM
I hate dormies in general. So I don't have one student; I have 6 and they live in 6-room dorms. There are never any dormies - they just get in the way of all the teens who want to go to Uni. That, of course, does not mean that there are no deaths - some of my students have been killed by lightning. Then it leads to the question - do I save or not? So I guess if you want the dormies to be alive, exit without saving
Mad Poster
#32 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 10:55 AM
I have nouniprotect and I have a few dorms which seem to be death traps but the vast majority are fine, so YMMV. They do tend to fall asleep in their food, though, in some dorms which still amuses me so I let them (sometimes I'll be nice and stick a stereo in the dining room!)

I tend to build dorms very basic, very small, with adequate facilities for hygeine/bladder/hunger, hardly any skilling items (you go to "class" ie community lots for that) and not much to do either, so they don't get stuck in motive draining fun or skilling items which is what I suspect is happening here, as other people seem to play much more lavishly furnished dorms than me.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tancred
Okay, I'm going to throw another wrench into the discussion. Apologies in advance! I installed nouniprotect a while ago. Soon afterwards I started making dormies in some dorms selectable just long enough to check out their personalities and skills. One of these dorms was Sim State. I didn't peek at dormies in other dorms, like Pinenut. Strangely, it's the Sim State dormies who are constantly keeling over and being saved from death, while I can play Pinenut for 3 days straight without a single dormie showing any signs of distress. This is the pattern in my various dorms. Could making dormies selectable trigger the more extreme aspects of the mod? I can't imagine how that could happen, but it seems to be a little too consistent to be merely a coincidence.

I think it might. I just started making NPCs selectable and doing so seems to mess them up. First there was a nanny I made selectable because I wanted her to potty train the almost potty trained toddler (she couldn't do it even when selectable, though). Shortly afterward she got upset (I think she had to pee) and said "I'm leaving" - and just left. I've never had a nanny do that before when the parent was still at work. (It wasn't a big deal because it was almost time for the dad to come home, and I have a hack that removes the social worker anyway.)

Another time I made the maid selectable. The dad was trying to put to bed an exhausted toddler and, as you know, getting Sims to pick up toddlers who are about to fall asleep is a massive ordeal. After about 5 tries, the dad FINALLY had the toddler in his arms - and then the d*** maid came in the bathroom and started cleaning the toilet, which meant dad and toddler were stuck and couldn't move. I thought - if he puts that baby down now so he can stomp around about being stuck I'm going to scream! - and made the maid selectable long enough to get him out of the bathroom. Dad did manage to finally get the kid to bed, but shortly thereafter I found the maid the blowing bubbles on the front step. So much for cleaning the house. Someone had to tell him goodbye to get him to leave.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 9:11 PM
When sims are stuck in the bathroom or anywhere, Instead of making sims selectable put on move objects and grab the offenders and move them out. You could have grabbed dad and toddler and moved them to the toddlers room or grabbed and moved the maid.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#35 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 9:23 PM
There are different ways of making dormies selectable, some of them do seem to screw up dormies. I don't know which way is bad any more so if I make them selectable (I use the sim blender) I do so only for a very short time - to use the Clothing tool and then done. (Now, I'd use the Gussy Up hack and not make them selectable at all except that I like to sneak a peek at their personality/hobbies/etc first to see how to dress them!)

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#36 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 11:11 PM
If you want Sims to be selectable without losing the things that make them whatever they are (employee, dormie, etc) then you want Dolphins control this sim hack. It's found here on MTS. It's the only one I've seen that specifically mentions that it makes selectable in a way that maintains the code that controls them. How, no idea, but it works.
Page 2 of 2