Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 10:09 PM
Default modular/ sectional seats
I was wondering if its possible to remesh the sectional seats that came with nightlife? It appears as though the seats doesn't work anymore, they don't join up when put side by side, after I remeshed them. Any ideas why this happens?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 10:29 PM
Yes you can. But you need to download the file in this thread http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...227#post1394227 and put it in your downloads and tell your users to get it too if they download your new seats, that will make them work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 4:05 AM Last edited by blake_boy : 23rd Nov 2006 at 8:22 AM.
Hey thanks Inge, your help is greatly appreciated
One thing though, i wasnt sure what you meant when you sayd not to change the proxy GUID in the objd resource. I registered the new object in the object data, would that be a problem?

And Ive got another question, is it possible to create my own texture for these sectional booths? Ive tried adding the txmt and imported my image file, and linked the material definition and other things fine, but the texture in the game just showed up black, and there were still the old maxis colour options for the booth.
sorry for the plethora o questions, but im pretty determined to learn and get this right
#4 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 1:02 PM
Sorry for the delay, I didn't get an update notification.

You're not likely to change the proxy GUID unless you go out of your way to do so. Under normal cloning circumstances, it will always be the same as the original Maxis object.

It's best not to handle the TXMT manually. Just use the normal cloning options in Object Workshop, accept all defaults, and then when you want to make your personalised texture, simply export the images from within the TXTR plugin, using the Export button on the top right of the pane, edit them in your paint program and reimport. Adding your own TXMT files can be done of course, but you really have to be so careful about editing all the places that reference it or the rest of the object won't recognise it. And it's not normally necessary to handle that manually.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 10:41 AM
okay, i have one little problem though. There wasn't any txtr images except for the shadows, to export. So I added my own txmt files which worked, but another problem leading to that was I wouldnt be able to recolour the seats using the object workshop, as the added textures did not show when trying to recolour.

Ive also found another problem while testing; that when the seats are placed in a concave position, i.e. corner, the seats adjacent to the corner became the armchairs instead of the ends or the connectors. Ill try to give a picy if i can to explain myself better later on. Apart from that, congrats on your hack, it worked like wonders, great job. Cheers Inge
#6 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 11:09 AM
Hmm well I think you may have started off with the wrong cloning options or something, cos I made a new mesh and colour for the dining booth seats, and I got a mesh and a colour in my package to edit when I did it. Which SimPE version did you use to make this clone? Can you remember which boxes you ticked?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 11:37 AM
I didnt mess with the options, i think i left them all as defaults. But i may be wrong, ill have to check later when i get onto my computer. Yea, my SimPE is pretty outdated i think, ill probably need to download the newest version. BTW, does the hack work for other connecting seats as well? Like the connecting sofas from nightlife and glamourlife?
#8 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 12:31 PM
The sofas need an alternative patch, which I think was originally made by Shaklin and someone has updated since. However, since Shaklin's site is not working as normal lately, there may be problems getting her stuff. If there is a need, I will make a similar patch for the sofas.

If anyone knows where the updated Shaklin patch can be found, please let us know :D

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 12:57 PM
i think i mightve found the patch. i just googled shaklin, and went to her page and the patch was there. ill try it tonite.

Ive got another question, think its not too irrelevant. I was wondering if it is possible to make a sim sit down/lounge/nap on a seat/sofa further out towards the edge?
Greatest Dad Ever
#10 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 1:03 PM
for that last question you would have to alter the sim animations..and i do believe that is a lot of work ..Ive only seen the really good meshers and modders use custom animations ...
#11 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 1:19 PM
If you can identify which slot/s are used for those animations you can alter the values in the cTransformNode in the CRES. That's how you get sims into bunk beds in the easy version anyway. The GT bunks where they climb the ladder are something else entirely. If you do the old simple bunkbed method on the sofa the sim would animate sitting or lying normally and then slide forward into the new coordinate you had given.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 9:16 PM Last edited by blake_boy : 28th Nov 2006 at 9:41 PM.
yep, i think inge's idea is the one one i'm aiming. Do you have a tutorial link that explains this further?
#13 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 9:37 PM
I don't remember seeing a tutorial for it. It's considered an advanced technique and therefore you're probably better off searching the threads for strings connected with the matter, such as "cTransformNode" or "coordinates" or "raising"

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 9:42 PM
ok, thanks inge.

Going back to the sectional seats, im still having problems with missing default txtr files when cloning. The interesting thing is that when i check the "Reference original mesh" in the cloning options, i get the default txtr files, but the geometric data container along with other things are missing in the resource tree! If I uncheck the "Reference original mesh", then everythings per normal, but with no txtr files for the default colours.
Id like to see if anyone's experiencing the same problem. I tried cloning the "jacuster's last stand sectional booth" and "Mr. section with arms (and w/o)" by comfortitude, and all 3 produced the same problematic results.
#15 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 10:20 PM
Ok I just tried the jacusters one, and I see what you mean. But I managed to get the textures pulled in by cloning with all the boxes ticked apart from "Pull animations" and "reference original mesh". It took a couple of goes to find the right combination :D

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 5:34 AM
ok, thanks for letting me know Inge, at least i know now it's not just me Ill try tonight and see. Thanks again
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 8:01 AM
Tried with shaklin's patch, and everything seems to be working awesomely... well it has one problem, as I found out. The patch only works when the sectional sofas don't have their unique guid, i.e., when the new cloned mesh object overrides the maxis base object. When I registered a unique guid to the object, the patch no longer works, i.e., the sectional sofas do not join up.

Inge, if I may and if you don't mind, Ive got a request for you; to make a similar patch to Shaklin's, enabling newly cloned sectional sofas to "join up", while using unique guid. What do you think? I'd really appreciate it
#18 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 9:39 AM
Yeah I could have a go, ok. Though I thought she updated it so it started working again. Did you get an old version?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 9:55 AM
Id have no idea. I just went to shaklin.net and downloaded shaklin_selectional_sofa_global.zip. Was the updated one suppose to work alright?
#20 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:15 PM
I think so, but I just can't remember where I read about it being updated. Possibly someone else did it and shared.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:56 PM
Ive looked up the first 25 pages in the game mods section with no luck...
#22 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 1:36 PM
I don't think it was on this site anyway. How many types of modular sofas did Maxis make, so I know when I have found them all?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 4:25 AM
From nightlife, i think just the 2; "Mr. section with arms" by comfortitude, and "Mr. section" by comfortitude
#24 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 8:24 AM
I think there was one came from glamour as well... Ok I will look at doing this today hopefully. I miss Shaklin!

Instructor
#25 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I miss Shaklin!

Uh, wait, Inge - did Shaklin retire from modding, too? She just updated her lovebed...
I try already for several days to get on her site but more than this doesn't exist anymore. Just asking because the guys at SimForum.de are as helpless as I am and at least 'knowing that more trials are a waste of time' would already be helpful, too

Ehm, sorry for traipsing in here and missing topic :D

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Page 1 of 2