Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 8:11 AM
Default Object appears see-through in game
Hello, everybody! So, this is my first go at meshing and object creation since Sims 2, so I'm just learning most of the basics. I seem to be catching on for the most part, but I'm still running into a few problems. The issue:

In my mesh file, I have created an entirely new object part. I regroup the parts etc. so that there is no issue when I put the mesh back into the .package file. However, when I select the object in-game, it is see-through except for the original parts of the cloned object. I know this is probably a texture issue, but how do I assign the texture to my new object part?

Most of what I knew comes from Flabaliki's meshing video tutorial. At what part am I skipping a step?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 9:20 AM
Did you make sure the new parts are fully on the map?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#3 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 12:56 PM
It does sound like it might be some kind of texture issue...what clone are you using? Do you have a picture of what your new object looks like in the game?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 3:02 PM
Pictures would be most useful! And probably quite amusing.

If your mapping were off the uvmap the obj tool should have given you an error, no idea how TSRW handles this. I'm gonna take a guess that you either didn't actually map the new object or you may have the faces incorrect, aka the normals. No idea what the video tutorial is like, but I know the written tutorial that Flabaliki has here doesn't address assigning joints and not even sure if it covered mapping the object.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 3:09 PM
If you get bits off the map when making a TSRW object, they simply don't appear in the game. You get half a model appearing lol. Works ok though.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 8:07 PM
Okay, so I've tried again by cloning another object, and the mesh seems to work out fine and even appears in the game. However, the texture is still off. This was created from a cloned painting, and the texture is wrapped around my object really oddly.

I have attached the .package file. Would anyone care to take a look at it to see what is wrong? I am wanting just a plain gray texture on it that can by recolored in Create a Style.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Versailles1798_BaroqueCorner.rar (34.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#7 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 10:03 PM
I looked at the object in Milkshape and you seem to have two issues going on with this item.

The first issue is the IMG's. This painting has three that you're going to need to change for an item with one recolorable part that doesn't have the Mission image showing up on it. The greyscale one, the specular, and the overlay one. Your specular should have an all black alpha on it and yours has no alpha at all. But more importantly, your overlay should have an all black alpha on it also but yours still has a portion of the IMG alloted to the Mission painting image. The top part of your column is lying directly over this portion of the IMG. This is why that image is showing up on your object in the game and making the part of your object where it is showing up be unrecolorable.

Also with the IMG's...and this isn't directly related to your problem although could contribute...this is a fairly large object and you have it mapped over only a small part of the IMG. In-game, even if everything else was fine, the patterns will be laid on your object looking very huge.

The second issue is the way you have this item mapped. Your item has two column like structures which are made up of faces going at right angles to one another. But your map has all the faces going in the same direction on it. This is going to make some of the faces have the pattern looking right but the others will have the pattern smeared out. Also, your item is taller than the space you have allotted it on the map...so your texture is also getting pulled in the vertical direction.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

The arrow points to one of the faces where the mapping is distorted because this face is mapped in the wrong direction. The circle is around a face that is mapped correctly but not largely enough causing the polka dots to become ovals (they should be round).

If you fix these issues the object should look fine in the game.