Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 9:36 AM
Default Question About TS2 to TS3 Conversions
Ok, one step I am really not understanding is how you get from your TS3 cloned mesh to the TS2 mesh you want to convert in milkshape.

I've decompiled the MLOD and MODL files. I imported the .s3asc file via Wes Howes Sims3 Object Import. I was using the Garden Gnome as my clone object to modify. I get it open, see the two groups.. and then I have no idea how to progress. I have tried to import the Sims2Mesh over it but that renders an error and then when I try to recompile later it does not work. I've read two other tutorials but can't seem to find the answer. I'm new to all this and apologize if this is a dummy question but... I need help
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:12 AM
When you say "Sims2Mesh" in what format do you mean? Is it in .obj? Because that should work... Could you list the steps, stating what you do in detail? So we can see if you miss a little step somewhere.
I hear you though, converting needs so many little steps to be done right that it's easy to overlook one.
But we need more information: are you converting an object, body mesh (this needs other ways) or hair mesh (needs even another way)?

This space intentionally left blank...
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:22 AM
I'm guessing it's an object as RD's cloned the gardengnome in TS3. Did you extract the TS2 object using SimPE and saving the .obj and .png files?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=372692 is good place to start, but you can also have a look at the TS2 meshing tutorials, because they discuss the extraction of objects there as well.
Inventor
#4 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:29 AM
You can not use the TS3 object importer to import TS2 objects. If you are importing a TS2 object over your TS3 object, you either use the wavefront importer for .obj files, or WesHowe Unimesh plugin if you exported from SimPE as .5gd.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:40 AM
Sorry for the lack of information.

-I am converting a decorative object
-the file is in .5gd

I followed CoComama's tutorial for collecting meshes and textures using Sim PE. I go right to Part 2 because I am converting a CC object. I extract the GMDC file and save. It has the .5gd file extension

I exported the MOLD and MDOL files using S3PE I decompiled each file to a separate folder

I open the first .s3ac file in Milkshape.

I have my Garden Gnome mesh and shadow file open

I use Import -- Sims 2 UniMesh V4.094 -- I recieve a message that says "If you import over another model results may be unreliable. Do you want to continue?" which I don't know if thats normal or what I am suppose to be getting but I continue.

I'm a bit fuzzy about what to do here as well. I am suppose to keep the groups in the original order and with their original name. So i just renamed the Imported .5gd file group01 and deleted the original.

I export it using Sims 3 Object Export

I do the same thing for the other three files.

I attempt to recompile and I get an ERR: File namebase not parseable, no "_cfg". I am hitting the MODL/MDOL Info button, navigating to my 00000MODL.lod file selecting recompile and navigating to the same file.

I am doing something terribly wrong obviously. Hope that was more expansive information wise.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
You can not use the TS3 object importer to import TS2 objects. If you are importing a TS2 object over your TS3 object, you either use the wavefront importer for .obj files, or WesHowe Unimesh plugin if you exported from SimPE as .5gd.

Yes, I was using the Unimesh plugin.

Quote: Originally posted by Ceixari
I'm guessing it's an object as RD's cloned the gardengnome in TS3. Did you extract the TS2 object using SimPE and saving the .obj and .png files?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=372692 is good place to start, but you can also have a look at the TS2 meshing tutorials, because they discuss the extraction of objects there as well.

That's the tutorial I followed actually to extract the mesh, which is a step I believe I have the hang of
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:47 AM
I haven't any experience pasting a .5gd model over a Sims mesh, I always export the model as an .obj and that never gives me any errors when pasting it over. The other steps seem fine to me, you're right that you just rename your new mesh with the old group's name.

When you say "export it as a Sims 3 object", what steps do you take? Because you want to specifically save it as the original filename, otherwise it won't work. Even better to just click on the original file in the export dialog and let it overwrite the original.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:56 AM
Yes that's what I'm doing. Saving the new mesh with the same name as the one that I had originally imported. I am saving over the .s3ac file

Well maybe I need to get this wavefront importer. I don't see it in milkshape now that's why I decided to go the route of .5gd files.

Edit: I'm extremely slow. Ok so I see the wavefront option. I'll see if that works
Instructor
#9 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:59 AM
That's odd, Milkshape should have that importer by default... if you go to File => import => Wavefront OBJ...
Don't you have that option?

Inventor
#10 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 11:06 AM

What other 3 files are you talking about?
Are they groups from the TS3 objects, sorry I do not know the gnome mesh, does it have 4 groups?
If they are parts of the TS2 object, you have to regroup all parts from the TS2 object into the same number of groups as the TS3 object (delete wall shadows, keep the ground shadow and use that as the dropshadow group00, may need to be UV mapped properly)

If you regroup parts of the TS2 mesh, they must share the same UV map too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael
That's odd, Milkshape should have that importer by default... if you go to File => import => Wavefront OBJ...
Don't you have that option?

Yes I have that option. I just wasn't seeing it before because I wasn't looking for it.

I just went through all those steps I had previously and received no error messages. When recompiling the files are they suppose to stay separated? I didn't get an error message this time but they all stayed separated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama

What other 3 files are you talking about?
Are they groups from the TS3 objects, sorry I do not know the gnome mesh, does it have 4 groups?
If they are parts of the TS2 object, you have to regroup all parts from the TS2 object into the same number of groups as the TS3 object (delete wall shadows, keep the ground shadow and use that as the dropshadow group00, may need to be UV mapped properly)

If you regroup parts of the TS2 mesh, they must share the same UV map too.

The Gnome has Thee MLOD files and one MOLD file. What I meant was that I import each of these files and replace it with the ts2 mesh. The group numbers stay the same.
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RepulsiveDesire
Yes I have that option. I just wasn't seeing it before because I wasn't looking for it.

I just went through all those steps I had previously and received no error messages. When recompiling the files are they suppose to stay separated? I didn't get an error message this time but they all stayed separated.

Yes, they stay separated, that's normal. But the original file (which you decompiled) will be compiled, it's that one you'll want to import into your original package and replace the value (just choose "import..." navigate to your folder and select the original file you decompiled/compiled), a window will pop up, choose "replace" (it's the default option that's ticked so you don't really need to change anything).

Do this for all 4 files and you should be ready to import the bitmaps as well and test it out!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 12:02 PM Last edited by RepulsiveDesire : 24th Mar 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm getting there.

It shows up in game. The shape is right but the texture is not. If I am not trying to make it recolor-able do I need to edit the IMG files at all?

What I did was edit the gray-scale images by filling them all with a medium gray. I also edited the mask file by filling it completely with red. This made the object re-colorable in game. It covered up the texture that I wanted it to have though.
Alchemist
#15 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 1:02 PM
The gnome originally has three recolorable parts and a part that is not recolorable that represents the gnome's face and hand in the game. If you want your object to have a non-recolorable part that is taking a pattern/texture you assign to it you have to change all the IMG's to fit your new object's map instead of the gnome's. You also have to provide it with the texture that you want the object to have that will be unrecolorable as the gnome's face is currently not-recolorable.

You need to put your new pattern/texture, the one you want to not be recolorable, in place on the same IMG that currently has the gnome's face (skintone version) and change the alpha so that it matches your mapping of the object part you want to take on that pattern/texture.

You need to make sure the same alpha is applied wherever the gnome's IMG's have an alpha (the greyscale). Make sure you assign that portion of your object's mapping to the red color on the red/green/blue IMG.

Also, if you simply overwrite the MLOD2 and MLOD3 with the same mesh you've used for the MLOD and MODL without changing it at all your sunshadow is going to look wrong in the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 1:17 PM Last edited by RepulsiveDesire : 24th Mar 2010 at 1:36 PM.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 2:15 PM
Alchemist
#18 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 10:05 PM