Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 3:04 AM Last edited by JennaSims<3 : 17th Apr 2017 at 10:47 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Not enough Virtual Memory? [SOLVED]
Hi everybody, I'm having a problem where my game crashes, most of the time, when I try to save.

I use Crash Log Analyzer, and it tells me that the crash occurs because of max memory used, and I can see that I only have from 70 to 147 mib of virtual memory left (It seems to vary depending on different things I've tried).
And I just wonder why, since I don't think I have a lot of CC (my mods folder is at 3,56 GB and a lot of it is merged, if that makes a difference), at least not more than I've had before.

I also made my game crash on purpose, by using a mod I know makes the game crash when it starts up, and that crash log from the Sims 3 folder, showed I had 3,07 GB free VM. But I guess that's normal, since I hadn't entered a save at that point??

I've tried in different ways to solve this, like cleaning my save and using this method: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...191#post4814191

I'm sadly not a techy person at all, so I would really, really, really appreciate any help! And thank you!

PS. I don't know how to add text files, so I added a screenshot of the log and rar package. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DxDiag and Crash Log from crash before entering save..rar (17.0 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Crash analyzer and dxdiag are absolutely useless to techies so I don't know why people persist in using them or posting them. (correct that, they're not useless, but usually whatever problem you have is related to the game level, it rarely gets to the system level)

Post us your "deviceconfig" log file from your TS3 user folder. This is a lot more helpful.

----

I looked at the screenshot you've provided, this isn't talking about the Window VM, but talking about the Sims 3 ram usage, it says 147mb/4gb. The 4gb is the 32-bit limit of the game. When the game crashed, do you get an "error 12?" Sometimes it doesn't give error 12, but it should be the same issue.

In this case, can you provide more information? Such as how old is your savegame? How long have you been playing (hrs) before you saved? How big is the lot you were playing?

And if you can take a look at the "task manager," can you see how much RAM it is using prior to crash? If it is above 3.2GB?

First of all, thank you for your help!

I went and played the save for about half an hour, up to the point where I previously had played and where it would crash - but guess what? - It didn't this time, ugh, just when I would want it to. Though the saving time itself took 30 minutes! But then again, it didn't crash always, somtimes I could save several times while playing. Anyway, I've tried to save some times now and it didn't crash, but I'll post the deviceconfig anway, to be sure.

The save is from March the 22th, so relatively new, and I play on a 64x64 lot. The save is 67,83 MB. I've added some screenshots of the task manager, from how high the memory % was most of the time, and one where the memory reached 2.024,6 MB. (The place it says "Hukom..." means "Memory") It didn't get much higher up than that. And to a point where the CPU reached a 100% (It happened 3 times, but so fast I only got to take one screenshot where it was at 96%)

Again thanks so much for your help.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DeviceConfig.rar (1.6 KB, 44 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 9:12 PM
Wow, there's things needing change I wouldn't have thought of in a million years, so thank you. :O

I hope it's not annoying with all the screenshots, it's just much easier to show that way, than if I started talking about something I don't always understand.
The first thing is, in the first picture of the GraphicRules, is there supposed to be such a large space between textureMemory and 1024? It was there when it said 32 too. This might be a extremely stupid question, but I honestly don't know.

Though not always playing, I often start the game up in windowed mode and do other stuff like search the web, while it loads, and then I let the tabs stay open while I play sometimes too. And I always set my game in windowed mode, and then go online while it's saving! Smh, there's really some things I should've known.

I took some pictures of the resource monitor: 1. The Sims 3 starting up with 2 tabs opened in chrome - 2. The Sims 3 loaded still with 2 tabs opened - 3. The Sims 3 loaded with all tabs and chrome closed. "Alloker..." means "Commit".

And my last question is about your tutorial you linked to; I just didn't completely understand what to write if I would edit the WorldCompositorCache to make it smaller? And if I did that, would I then still need to replace the simcompositorcache and compositorcache with a custom world worldcache, if I play in one? Aaaand lastly where do I find the worldcaches for a custom world? Sorry for all the stupid questions, haha, hope it's okay.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:43 PM
Okay, I think I understand now!

With the ramdisk tut, I think I'll keep the simcompositorcache and compositorcache, as I usually play in several different worlds at a time and quite like the WA worlds.

And I'll be more careful what I do when saving, in the future. Hopefully that'll help a bit too. Though I'm glad I can keep doing other stuff while the game loads. :P

So yeah, thank you much for your help and your patience, you're the best. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 11:52 PM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been playing with a new save for about a week, and my game still crashes. It's the same as before, no error message and it's when I save. :/
Anyway, I've added my crash log.

Would it maybe help if I got more ram?

Thanksss for any answer.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Crash Thingie - xcpt DESKTOP-4ARR0HK 17-04-14 00.27.52.rar (4.3 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:12 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the ramdisk option made the game use *less* ram. Lol, you can see how much I know about this. But yeah, I only started using ramdisk after my game started to crash, as a way to fix it.

I honestly have no idea what or even less where the win swapfile is, so I don't think I have ever touched it? Though that reminds me, I did follow this tutorial, also in a way to solve the crashing: http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c=105572.0;wap2

I have 767 GB of 914 GB free on my C drive, which is always what I found strange about this but yeah...

Thank you for your time again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 8:57 PM
Thank you, I've reverted it back to original now.

And sorry it took me so long to reply, but I've been play testing and removing two different mods, but so far it hasn't worked and my game still crashes.

I've been thinking about reinstalling the games, but then again, if I just plug the same mods in as before, then it probably wouldn't help...

Tbh I have no idea what it could be.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 10:46 PM
Thank you for all your help!

I took my mods folder from a prevouis backup, which I have played with for some time now, and that seemed to have solved the problem!
I still don't know what the exact culprit was, but I'm just glad I didn't uninstall all my games, or worse, bought and installed more ram!

So it is all thanks to you and I'm sooo grateful - thank you very much.