Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 12:50 AM
Default Do you build, or move?
So, you start with a starter house, and then you get rich. But you have your stuff arranged just so.

If you move to a bigger house then you usually have to sacrifice a bedroom and turn it into your science/bot/chemistry lab or your spellcasting/alchemy sanctum sanctorum.

If you stay and keep building, you end up on a small lot because your death fish pond doesn't leave enough room for your swimming pool, and you have a four level tiny house that looks absurd.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 2:04 AM
Whenever I get rich in the sims I always use the money to buy my house more decor for more realistic looks, from there I start furnishing the town lots and other peoples houses on my dime using nraas. I love small homes and hate being rich so I blow my money on everything but my household after a while. Sooo... I guess I build/buy in a way.
Scholar
#3 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:39 AM
First, I don't believe in private swimming pools, so that's not an issue. As my sim family gets larger and wealthier I remodel and I also move, depending on how it feels to me at the moment. But like pretenshus, I'm not fond of big houses in general, so when I remodel I'm not looking to make the house bigger.
Theorist
#4 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:24 AM
It's going to sound strange, but I've never been in a situation you've described in my whole simming 'career' (7-9 years?). It sounds like you always start out with very tiny pieces of land. And if you move to a bigger house, why is there not enough space to expand and you have to sacrifice some room? Maybe you choose lots that are really cramped?

That said, now I remember one case of this! It was TS2, I needed a kid room in the Landgraab house and there was no space for it. I remember that I somehow build a new room over the garage and connected it to the main house). But that lot really was cramped, and to expand it you'd have to build in the back a lot, messing up all its beauty and proportions unless you manage to recreate everything perfectly (which would be too much work).

My advice: choose big lots, you choose small ones unconsciously for some reason, maybe you like cramped spaces.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:50 PM
It depends on how big the lot is that my families around town start out on when they immigrated into town.Those who start on a tiny lot will more likely move to a bigger lot even if the house is no bigger while hose starting out on a larger lot will build on their house to make it bigger.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 2:41 PM
My sims never get filthy rich (max-50 000),because I have ultra hard bills installed+I play with made up tax system ( Paying for funeral,wedding,life insurance and so on) so,I usualy buy them a medium sized lot to build a starter home or download one from tumblr or MTS.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:10 PM
Until I started working on a new world and put a new sim there a few months ago, I have played 3 legacy style from the day it released. My family is well over 30 generations even though I build and did worlds. They moved normally when a new EP came out as I wanted them to live in that world. My current family in 4 is vamps in FH on a big enough lot they will stay there. They are still poor and there is enough room to expand. They will stay on that lot in the Hollow, at least for now.

I do not like mega houses. I make them just big enough for my families which tend to run at the 8 sims most of the time. I like to be able to find my sims easily and not have it take an hour to cross a lot.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 10:11 PM
I usually start out with a million and a family, then eventually I'm broke and have to motherlode again :P
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 6:38 PM
I usually move. Mostly because starter homes are usually surrounded by other small homes, and if I expanded on my starter lot, the house would tower over everyone else's house
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 3:48 AM
Whenever my sims hit the jackpot, the struggle is real: whether you move into a moderate house with cool decor and lots of little decoration items that makes it realistic, or whether you move into a mansion with boring decor and very little decorations. I rarely go to the build mode. I always manage to ruin my houses with it
Scholar
#11 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 12:07 PM
I think the only reason I'd move is if I'm doing a 100 Baby challenge and get to later generations, where I can immediately work on making bigger nursery/bedrooms. But for that, I would build. For the sake of practically, not for decor or anything. But then... I have yet to manage to have a Sim family that is filthy rich.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 8:11 PM
I love to build and I get bored with the same lot eventually, so I moved them pretty much every new EP, or new world I made, or every few generations.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:00 PM
I hardly ever build onto my active lot, as Emmett said the results usually look absurd. If I'm planning ahead and want my sims to move to a larger lot, once they can afford it, I usually build one in advance and make them work for it. I only use money cheats if I want them to start out in a big house. I like building, so I hardly ever move them into a pre-built house, I like to build one that fits in with the style of whatever world I'm using.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Inventor
#14 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:33 PM
I tend to build starters on small lots that are meant for 1-2 sims, then I move them when they have children or need more space for equipment. That way I have different size homes in my neighbourhood instead of expanded homes with too many rooms for newly started single sims.
Instructor
#15 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 2:40 AM
In theory, the reason for my always buying larger lots is that I want to start from the bottom and have space to expand into a legacy home, but in practice I don't know if I've ever actually made it to the third generation.... strike that! I did, exactly once, if we're counting the fact that a gen 3 heir had been born (and I am totally counting it) and named. And I like being able to create houses with enough space for all the hobbies my sims end up with. By the time I finish agonizing over design choices and decorations, I usually like the house too much to move so I just build on (including basements and second and third stories) when I need more space. I did one legacy lot apartment building style so I was able to let all the kids move into other parts of the building and have space for roommates and spouses. I'm also kinda picky about how my places are laid out because I hate spaces that take a long time to navigate through.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 12:30 PM
Neither. My Sims are characters; I'll know who they are and how they live before I've even created them. So once I create them, there's a 90% chance I'll immediately move them into the home they're supposed to live in. Of course I usually do a bit of remodeling, but a move is hardly ever in order.
And it needs to check out against the timeline. My save is set between April the 21st, 2012, and May the 1st, 2017. I've known this for years. So everything that I build or modify must be consistent with that implied timeline - I'll show you what I mean.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#18 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 12:53 PM
I always move into empty lot and build up the house one room at the time, when I have enough money. I never use cheats. I only move when I can no longer expand the house or I just want to change the scenery. Sometimes I prebuild houses around the neighbourhood, but leave them unfurnish. I spend lot of time building and furnishing my sims houses and making sure they are as comfy as possible. Essentially I build houses where I would like to live and so I get really attached to them and don't really like to move. Even if I don't play legacy the house my sims live can have/had generations of sims live in them.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 6:20 PM Last edited by AlexandraSpears : 28th Apr 2017 at 8:24 PM.
I have my Sims save their money for a bigger house. I have houses I've stored in my Lots library.

Note: If you plunk it down in your world and have your Sims save up for it, be aware that you may have squatters--if the game moves a new family into the world, your house is up for grabs.

I don't build it or plunk it down until they are ready to move.

Guess I should answer the question: If I'm in the mood to be particular, I'll build. Otherwise I'll just remodel a pre-made house. Or use the houses I have saved.

Who is Q? qanon.pub