Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:50 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Launcher crashing upon loading
So yesterday I planned to install some sims3packs and wasn't able to because the launcher would "stop working correctly". I can bypass the launcher and play my game without issues.

A few days prior the launcher was working just fine, so I'm not sure if I did something between then and yesterday and didn't realize or notice.

Today I updated IE, Adobe Flash and Air, and the other thing the Help page said to update, and this may be unrelated but after installing Flash (which it helped itself to installing McAfee and True Key and I can't seem to find them in my programs folder to uninstall) my computer in general has been pretty laggy. However, despite the lag I loaded the Launcher and it seemed to have been working. I clicked the downloads button to install my batch of sims3packs and then got an error saying something caused the launcher to stop working. I could choose to either debug or quit. I noticed before selecting either option that I could click around in the launcher still, so I went ahead and attempted to install my sims3packs. They installed without issue. Afterwards I clicked debug and of course it found no fix. Annnnd now the launcher crashes upon loading again. Clicking on a single sims3pack doesn't work and won't install since it loads the launcher first.

The process I use to install CC is to remove my mods folder so the installation window loads faster, move in up to 250 mb worth of files (because someone told me to only do batches to 250 mb at a time), install, and then after installation move those files into an installed folder that I have in my Downloads folder. Once I'm done installing however many batches I want to install I move the mods folder back in and play. Haven't had any issues with this process, but that's not to say that it's right. Maybe I shouldn't have been installing this way to begin with, or maybe my process is just fine.

Anywho, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 9:44 PM
I use Macs, and only play the game on a PC that I hardly ever touch, and, Google Chrome is the default browser, so it's not like I knew about any IE updates. I was just being safe and following the steps on the Help page before posting.

I'm not messing with the dccache folder. I'm simply removing the sims3packs out of the downloads folder once they're installed, for organizational purposes. I move the mods folder to the desktop because it slows down the loading of the installation window when installing sims3packs.
About the 250 mb part, I was told a long time ago that the Launcher operates best when installing no more than a total size of 250mb at a time. This doesn't include houses, sims, or worlds. Maybe that person was wrong, but I'm sure it was a mod here at MTS that told me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 1:32 AM
I'm having issues on the PC. I only mention using Macs because you questioned why I updated IE. The only time I touch this PC is to play sims, as the game isn't that compatible with Macs when it comes to playing with mods.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 3:34 AM Last edited by igazor : 5th Jun 2017 at 4:44 AM.
IE 11 is still receiving security updates and the like, just for the record.

The Launcher is a piece of garbage. Or one of the weakest parts of the game, anyway. It sounds like the rest of your game is working fine but of course you still need the Launcher to work with adding new sims3packs of any kind. It's difficult to say if the current fault is with your DCCache Folder or the functioning of the Launcher itself. I would probably pull the entire TS3 game folder out of Documents to the Desktop for safekeeping, thus forcing the game to spawn a new one on its next launch, and see if I can install any sims3packs at all on what would be a clean slate to help narrow the issue down. A gentler approach might be to pull the DCCache folder out, clear the usual four cache files, and proceed as above but we'd be testing for the same thing either way -- can the game take any installed sims3pack content without crashing when there is none there to begin with?

I would also not keep already installed sims3packs anywhere in my game folder. I store mine external to the game so nothing ever tries to waste time by reading or tripping over them throughout any of these processes. This Downloads sub-folder where you are keeping them, is that TS3's Downloads or your Windows user one?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 12:18 AM
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who hates the Launcher.

I can't yet try to load the launcher without the TS3 folder because before coming to MTS I decided to see if it would load, and surprisingly it did. I managed to install about 600 sims3packs totaling 250 mb in size. It's yet to crash.

As for storing the installed files, yes they're in a subfolder within the TS3 Downloads folder. I'll move them to a different spot.
Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 5:43 PM
Default Any Mac advise would be appreciated
I play on a Mac; and for the most part it's pretty stable; the problem I'm having is that recently all my CC is showing in the launcher as installed but will not show up in game. I've deleted the DCCache folder and reinstalled with no change. I've even completely removed TS3 game folder and had the game re spawn a new folder then reinstalled and CC still missing in game. Any other advise? Thanks for any suggestions

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
IE 11 is still receiving security updates and the like, just for the record.

The Launcher is a piece of garbage. Or one of the weakest parts of the game, anyway. It sounds like the rest of your game is working fine but of course you still need the Launcher to work with adding new sims3packs of any kind. It's difficult to say if the current fault is with your DCCache Folder or the functioning of the Launcher itself. I would probably pull the entire TS3 game folder out of Documents to the Desktop for safekeeping, thus forcing the game to spawn a new one on its next launch, and see if I can install any sims3packs at all on what would be a clean slate to help narrow the issue down. A gentler approach might be to pull the DCCache folder out, clear the usual four cache files, and proceed as above but we'd be testing for the same thing either way -- can the game take any installed sims3pack content without crashing when there is none there to begin with?

I would also not keep already installed sims3packs anywhere in my game folder. I store mine external to the game so nothing ever tries to waste time by reading or tripping over them throughout any of these processes. This Downloads sub-folder where you are keeping them, is that TS3's Downloads or your Windows user one?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yankigal12
I play on a Mac; and for the most part it's pretty stable; the problem I'm having is that recently all my CC is showing in the launcher as installed but will not show up in game. I've deleted the DCCache folder and reinstalled with no change. I've even completely removed TS3 game folder and had the game re spawn a new folder then reinstalled and CC still missing in game. Any other advise? Thanks for any suggestions

If you are also playing with mods or other package based content, try removing the Mods folder entirely before re-installing the sims3pack CC by way of the Launcher.

A stonger possibility since the content is showing up as installed by the Launcher even though it's not loading is that you unintentionally have more than one live TS3 game folder and the one you had put or are putting the CC into is not the one that the game is reading from upon startup. Within this folder, there should be a file called DeviceConfig.log. Right-click and Get Info, does its Modification Date/Time match the last time you started up the game? If not sure, startup the game and then check to see if it's been updated to just then.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:33 PM
I'd love to play on my Mac again. The graphics were so much better (mostly due to better hardware), but if I had downloads in my Mods folder, whether they were just simple CC or mods, I was plagued with random exception raised errors which forced the game to shut down.

I play on the PC to avoid that, and eventually plan to update it, because now that my Launcher seems to be working I've installed more downloads and now I get error 12s upon saving. Such is life. Luckily a coworker in the IT department at work is willing to help me upgrade my computer.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:55 PM
The Launcher acting flaky or users getting unwanted multiple game folders can and does happen on either platform. Never had issues with mods although I know many players have reported this. But I really wish EA had developed TS3 for Mac properly. It's the only one in the series that wasn't done as a true port into a Mac OS native program and as a result can only utilize 2 GB of RAM no matter how much the player has installed. For many of us that becomes far too limiting. The pretty graphics aren't much help (to many of us) if the game doesn't function the way we need it to. And then the game was never updated to work properly with the newer Intel Iris/Iris Pro graphics that came out on the Mac models just as TS3 was finishing its development cycle - at least players on Macs with dedicated graphics cards were spared that mess.

I switched over to Bootcamp and running TS3 on Windows through that years ago and never went back.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:18 PM
Default CC Missing
I do have mods and always remove the mod folder before install as I figured out the launcher will only install without the mods folder. I check the DiviceConfig.log and it is matching the game date/time I last used. I do have an old folder on my desktop that I put there before the last reinstall of CC but no other files. I'm wondering if I should try to delete the transgaming cache files? I wish there was a way to get my simspack files converted to .package files because I have no problem with those. I found a program once that did that but the files were no good so I don't think it was mac compatible. Thanks again for responding
If you are also playing with mods or other package based content, try removing the Mods folder entirely before re-installing the sims3pack CC by way of the Launcher.

A stonger possibility since the content is showing up as installed by the Launcher even though it's not loading is that you unintentionally have more than one live TS3 game folder and the one you had put or are putting the CC into is not the one that the game is reading from upon startup. Within this folder, there should be a file called DeviceConfig.log. Right-click and Get Info, does its Modification Date/Time match the last time you started up the game? If not sure, startup the game and then check to see if it's been updated to just then.
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:22 PM
I bought Parallels and windows to do just that; but I hate playing on that side as the mouse function is all wonky; then I get annoyed and its no fun. You are so right about the development. I also have sims4 because it was also developed for mac but I cannot get into playing it; the gameplay is weird, wonky and silly IMHO.

The Launcher acting flaky or users getting unwanted multiple game folders can and does happen on either platform. Never had issues with mods although I know many players have reported this. But I really wish EA had developed TS3 for Mac properly. It's the only one in the series that wasn't done as a true port into a Mac OS native program and as a result can only utilize 2 GB of RAM no matter how much the player has installed. For many of us that becomes far too limiting. The pretty graphics aren't much help (to many of us) if the game doesn't function the way we need it to. And then the game was never updated to work properly with the newer Intel Iris/Iris Pro graphics that came out on the Mac models just as TS3 was finishing its development cycle - at least players on Macs with dedicated graphics cards were spared that mess.

I switched over to Bootcamp and running TS3 on Windows through that years ago and never went back.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:28 PM
I do have mods and always remove the mod folder before install as I figured out the launcher will only install without the mods folder. I check the DiviceConfig.log and it is matching the game date/time I last used. I do have an old folder on my desktop that I put there before the last reinstall of CC but no other files. I'm wondering if I should try to delete the transgaming cache files? I wish there was a way to get my simspack files converted to .package files because I have no problem with those. I found a program once that did that but the files were no good so I don't think it was mac compatible. Thanks again for responding

Well, that's puzzling. Felt sure it would be one issue or the other. The important cache files are in your TS3 user game folder in Documents (that is where it's located, right?), I believe not in Transgaming -- that would be more program, not really content related files and things like EA world caches. I don't recall ever having to touch those.

If no one else can suggest what to try here, you might post the question on EA's Answers HQ Sims for Mac users board or on the official forums -- some of the same Mac experts hang out in both places.
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/bd-p/The-Sims-Mac

I would never try to play a game as intensive as TS3 through Parallels. Bootcamp is different because it doesn't need to share the system's resources across both operating systems, the user boots natively into one or the other. Of course booting back and forth between the two systems when needed is annoying, but it's always something isn't it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:45 PM
I did try the EA forum but nothing yet. Oh well - its not like its not playable - I just like not having to use the ugly EA stuff and I miss my other worlds. You are correct about the cache files being in documents and the transgaming files are the ones in the hidden library that stores the gaming programing. Everything was working fine until the last Apple software update; I reinstalled the prior OS but still did not help. But like you said - it's always something but we love the game so we deal with it. Thanks for your help.
Well, that's puzzling. Felt sure it would be one issue or the other. The important cache files are in your TS3 user game folder in Documents (that is where it's located, right?), I believe not in Transgaming -- that would be more program, not really content related files and things like EA world caches. I don't recall ever having to touch those.

If no one else can suggest what to try here, you might post the question on EA's Answers HQ Sims for Mac users board or on the official forums -- some of the same Mac experts hang out in both places.

I would never try to play a game as intensive as TS3 through Parallels. Bootcamp is different because it doesn't need to share the system's resources across both operating systems, the user boots natively into one or the other. Of course booting back and forth between the two systems when needed is annoying, but it's always something isn't it.
Test Subject
#16 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:54 PM
BTW - thanks for the link. Seems a lot of folks are having issues after updating the OS. Hopefully they get a fix soon.

Test Subject
#17 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:50 PM
Solution
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know I found a solution for the CC not showing up in game buried in the link you sent; someone had a suggestion to delete the "sims3preferences" folder under library. (I didn't delete just dragged to my desktop just in case) Someone also suggested checking all the installed items before launching. I did both and voila! My CC is in game. I then went and ran a game for about 5 hours (on my Mac - I know!!), without any hiccups or crashes. I also ran a game without checking all the CC in the launcher and the content was still there; so I assume it was the preferences folder that solved the issue. Thanks for all the help!!

I did try the EA forum but nothing yet. Oh well - its not like its not playable - I just like not having to use the ugly EA stuff and I miss my other worlds. You are correct about the cache files being in documents and the transgaming files are the ones in the hidden library that stores the gaming programing. Everything was working fine until the last Apple software update; I reinstalled the prior OS but still did not help. But like you said - it's always something but we love the game so we deal with it. Thanks for your help.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 12:05 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know I found a solution for the CC not showing up in game buried in the link you sent; someone had a suggestion to delete the "sims3preferences" folder under library. (I didn't delete just dragged to my desktop just in case) Someone also suggested checking all the installed items before launching. I did both and voila! My CC is in game. I then went and ran a game for about 5 hours (on my Mac - I know!!), without any hiccups or crashes. I also ran a game without checking all the CC in the launcher and the content was still there; so I assume it was the preferences folder that solved the issue. Thanks for all the help!!

Great news. Bewildering that bad prefs was it all it was, but great to hear in any event.