Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2009 at 3:59 PM
Default Question about ''nested'' archives
Sorry if I have overlooked the answer to this here on the page.

In the FAQ it says:
NOTE: The current version of S2PCI cannot open "nested" archives (for example, a rar archive that contains other rar archives). You will have to extract any nested archives into the Windows folder before installing.

Is there a way to recognice nested archives without opening them up to check? If I use S2PCI to install the files in a folder, how do I know if ALL the files were installed?

I'm so happy I no longer have to manually unpack every file but I don't want to miss anything either.

Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 3:27 AM
Well, first you have to unzip or unrar the file(s). The Clean Installer only installs sims2packs. When you have opened the archive, you should be faced with an installable package that you double click on to install. You won't run into a 'nested' archive problem at this site, as we don't allow them.

The Clean Installer does not install seperate .package files outside a sims2pack. If you need help on installation, try our guide: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...Fracking_Idiots It covers every known contingency.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 11:32 PM
Thanks a lot
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th May 2009 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
Well, first you have to unzip or unrar the file(s). The Clean Installer only installs sims2packs. When you have opened the archive, you should be faced with an installable package that you double click on to install. You won't run into a 'nested' archive problem at this site, as we don't allow them.

The Clean Installer does not install seperate .package files outside a sims2pack. If you need help on installation, try our guide: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...Fracking_Idiots It covers every known contingency.

I'm sorry, Canoodle, please don't take this personally, but the above is not correct like this.
I use the Clean Installer especially because I HATE to unzip or unrar all the files. So I just pack all my downloaded files in a single directory. Then I can right-click the directory and use the option “Install all”. Clean Installer opens and shows me a list of all the files it found in the various .zip- and/or .rar-files. I can now weed out the files I’m not interested in by unchecking the boxes and then I simply push the “Install”-Button.

Pamelaniel – if you use the method I described above the Clean Installer let’s you know when it can’t unzip or unrar a file. It even tells you the name of the file, so you can go back into the directory and unzip/unrar it by hand. Leave the .packages-files in the folder and remove the zip. or .rar-file from the directory. If the Clean Installer encounters a directory or another compressed file inside an archive (another name for compressed files) it will tell you so also. That way you won’t miss installing any of your precious downloads!

At least it works for me this way! :D
#5 Old 28th May 2009 at 8:41 PM
You won't run into a 'nested' archive problem at this site, as we don't allow them.
That`s odd, as I`m pretty sure that I *have* encountered nested archives on this site.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th May 2009 at 8:45 PM
We are having trouble confirming that this method works. I tried to install a lot and an object using this method. The object popped up, but the lot was never installed and has gone missing.

Another mod tried it with a sim in one of the archives. It did not detect the sim properly.

Edit..I found the lot that went missing. Somehow it migrated to another folder within the directory I was using.

Fake edit: They are NO longer allowed. We might have older uploads that are nested. And General OD ..it is not really a reportable offense. So don't be reporting them. Thanks.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
#7 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:17 PM
Hokay. I didn`t even know that it *was* an offence, nevermind reportable, actually, until you mentioned it above.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:35 AM
We are having trouble confirming that this method works. I tried to install a lot and an object using this method. The object popped up, but the lot was never installed and has gone missing.

What do you mean with this? Do you mean, that it sometimes works and sometimes not? So that Pamelanie HAS to be worried that not all of her downloads are being installed (and me, too!)?

And by the way, can you tell me where the lots go after the Clean Installer put them in the "Teleport"-Directory? Are they then in the "LotCatalog"-Folder (and only there if I don't put them in a neighborhood?)? Is there a way to identify them without SimPE? Is there a thread somewhere regarding these things?
(Am I asking too many questions?)
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:46 AM
Yes, the lots go in the lot catalog folder automagically when you start your game after installing them. You can identify them in Clean Installer from that directory by using the preview pane.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th May 2009 at 7:23 PM
Thanks for the prompt answers, Canoodle!
I'm searching for a house I downloaded and now can't identify with all these cx######-files or whatever maxis called them. Guess I'll have to go through all them. At least using the time-stamp I can leave out the maxis ones.
I'll still consider the right-clicking and "install all" option as the best method to install Custom Content. (Can't get used to calling them CC, I HATE abbreviations!). I guess any way includes the risk of loosing one or the other thing. But thanks for the warning!