Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:46 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Hiding and Unhiding Maxis clothing
I had this bright idea to hide some ugly Maxis clothing, but I didn't want to hide all of it. When I found this thread: http://modthesims.info/t/367162 I thought I could do it. Afterall, the instructions have step-by-step pictures and everything. But, as you may have guessed, I hit a snag and don't know how to fix it. (yep, I'm a total green newbie when it comes to working with SimPE)

I followed the instructions to "extract" all the unwanted male clothing to a "packed file." No problem there. The hiccup came when I get to the part that says to change numbers, but to leave the top two lines alone.

The tutorial shows the top two lines as "version" and "product" but those lines are completely missing from my files. I believe my top lines start with "age" and "gender".
(Note: Tutorial also says to ignore the "world" files, which I have, and just work with the SimPE files. I don't have a SimPE logo on those files. It's just blank.)
Question 1) Do I assume that the top lines I'm supposed to ignore are hidden and proceed with changing numbers on all the lines visible?

The above step is where I left off with the tutorial. I've not moved anything into my downloads folder. Currently, all those "extracted" clothes still show up in the game but they have an asterisk, as if they were custom content not Maxis content.
Question 2) Is there a way to undo what I've done, so the Maxis clothes no longer show up with an asterisk?
Question 3) How about undoing a completed hide (provided I get to that point), how is that done? Do I need to have the original numbers that I changed to do that?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:17 AM
Your Sims 2 .. are they disks or UC? Or Mac? I can't say for sure but if you have since this was written long ago and UC has some changes in where things are...

I know this isn't the answer you were lookin for, but maybe someone who knows more might be able to help and knowing what you have is always a benefit to findin an answer.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:25 AM
Good point, CaliBrat.
I am using Sims Double Deluxe on PC disc. All the expansion packs are on discs as well. I *think* they are a later version.
With the exception of my Holiday stuff pack, all of my "stuff" packs are included on an expansion pack disc. (ie: "Best of Business Collection" with OFB, H&M Fashion, Kitchen & Bath; "Fun with Pets Collection" has Pets, Mansion & Garden and Family Fun Stuff).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 10:47 AM
SimPE files are package files - the programme won't work with anything else - which is why, I guess, the files you are referring to don't have the icon.

The lines version and product need to be as they were in the game files. If they're not at the top of the list, can you see them anywhere? Perhaps post a pic so we can see what you're seeing?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
The tutorial shows the top two lines as "version" and "product" but those lines are completely missing from my files. I believe my top lines start with "age" and "gender".
(Note: Tutorial also says to ignore the "world" files, which I have, and just work with the SimPE files. I don't have a SimPE logo on those files. It's just blank.)
Question 1) Do I assume that the top lines I'm supposed to ignore are hidden and proceed with changing numbers on all the lines visible?

The above step is where I left off with the tutorial. I've not moved anything into my downloads folder. Currently, all those "extracted" clothes still show up in the game but they have an asterisk, as if they were custom content not Maxis content.
Question 2) Is there a way to undo what I've done, so the Maxis clothes no longer show up with an asterisk?
Question 3) How about undoing a completed hide (provided I get to that point), how is that done? Do I need to have the original numbers that I changed to do that?

Question 1:
I assume that you have extracted Property Sets from Base Game's or University's Skins.packages as they neither have the version- or product-fields. I would have tried to make the changes anyway.
Question 2 and 3
To undo you have to move the folder where you saved your extracted Property Sets to a location where the game can't read them or delete the folder.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 3:48 PM
I'm finally checking back on this thread. Sorry for late reply. Caught a cold on Christmas that turned into a nasty case of bronchitis about the time I left the original post. I've been in a coughing-wheezing brain fog the past two weeks, but better now. I can't get the alt + printscreen option to work on this old laptop (aka: my Sims2Machine).

I took another look at the extracted files. They are SimPE files, but just don't have the SimPE icon. The top two lines are Age and Category. I'm going to go through and change everything and see what happens. Sounds like all I need to do is removed the extracted and changed files to revert back to normal.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 7:46 PM
Doing anything with base game Property Sets can be tricky, because you need to manually insert Version and Product, or the outfit will appear as CC (with the asterisk.) For base-game adult outfits, I suggest pulling the Property Set from skins.package for either K&B or University. As far as I can tell, the BG clothes that weren't YA-enabled in University were YA-enabled in K&B, and they'll have proper Version and Product values. For other ages, you'll need to set both Version and Product to 1, and they'll need to be dtUInteger. University outfits may or may not have a Product, but should have a Version of 2. If Product is missing or zero, set it to 1 to have the clothes appear with base game clothes, or 2 to have them appear with the University icon.

If you look at this tutorial, you'll see a screenshot of a Property Set. To add a new field, click "add", and a new field will appear at the bottom. The Name: box names the field, so type either version or product. After that, make sure the Type: dropdown says dtUInteger, then type a 1 or 2 in the Value: box. After you've got the Version and Product set the way you want, click Commit.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 8:31 PM
[QUOTE=dharden]Doing anything with base game Property Sets can be tricky, because you need to manually insert Version and Product, or the outfit will appear as CC (with the asterisk.)

Yep, that's what happened. I went through everything and the hiding didn't work. I'm going to take a break from this "wonderful" idea of mine and try to organize some of my actual CC. Then, after my headache subsides, I will come back and to this thread and take a stab at fixing the Maxis mess I've made.