Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#426 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 6:13 AM
Okay. I could have kept costs down if I'd used Castaway stuff, but I have a draft that pleases me and is within budget, so it doesn't matter. Those painted floors would've looked great on the ceiling, though.

BTW, this house? Take care you don't hurt yourselves falling off your chairs laughing at it. But every bit of it is for Reasons and I'll explain when I post. I'm getting a 0 for design considerations this round, though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#427 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 7:28 AM
You can save money two ways. One build smaller and two once your house is finished, take a picture of the price then you may add crafted items like sewn curtains. Just don't add anything else and if you do sew items tuck the sewing machine away -unless it happens to be part of the original budget. Or the third option is to ditch the cc free bonus and splurge with cheap cc. The main thing is to be happy with what you build.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#428 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 8:19 AM
I'm having trouble with this house too. I've got a building facade done, but I don't feel like it follows the foundation enough so I dunno what if I want to start over or not. Basically, it's a lot of half tile planters to carve out the shape I actually wanted, feels cheaty. I guess I'll sleep on it.
Mad Poster
#429 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 9:37 AM
Morning! I have just inspected the foundation. Jo, you are full of surprises, aren't you? Stared at a nooky triangle for a long time, trying to unsee it, but it did not work.

Some of you seem to have been quite productive already

My son is turning 30 today, so I will probably only start this project tomorrow. In the meantime, I will think. 6 damn kids, I guess that family never had a TV. So - to tree house or not to tree house? To shed or not to shed? To flower power or not to flower power? (The game has recycled furniture? ) Or saluting those that rock? Those are the questions!
Mad Poster
#430 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 10:10 AM
!@#$ nook! I was lulled into a false sense of security. I figured, right angles in all the builds! Surprise!

Well, I've got SOMETHING, and I don't think it entirely stinks. It wasn't quite was "wow"-ing as I hoped. Maybe the next build. That nook was the bane of my existence!

I sez I would play whatever family I rolled. Lucky me got the pet people! The good news is that I won't have to play them again.

SO FAR. I'm under budget. This time, I remembered that i don't need the computer. No hacks. No problem. Mr. Humble will come around. I am HOPING that the bird isn't included in the price because I'D be tempted to flip a bird. I do need to see if I forgot a bathroom or something. I nearly forgot the tub or shower! Unlike my other build, this one is not as roomy. It was all I could do to squeeze everyone in there and still not get the stompies. It's errrr . cozier.

Now to try a cheaty something and hope I don't blow the lot up. Fortunately, it's packaged just in case.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#431 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 10:38 AM
Ugh! I've spent ages building a beautiful house, only to discover there's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to furnish it! I only have 4k left, and have only furnished the kitchen. And I haven't even looked at outside yet.

So, I think I'm going to finish this house and go over budget because I rather love it, and then pick and different family and have a proper go at this foundation. I hope one of the later rounds has a big foundation/fairly big budget, because I really really want to do the family with six kids - I just made them in CAS and have fallen in love with them.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#432 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 11:05 AM
@whoward69
Quote:
Does the obstacle course count as workout equipment?

It does, although you can get the three without it. Not giving any hints though.

As to your second question I will put that to committee vote. meaning I will discuss it with the judges.

@Justpetro Happy birthday to your son. a nooky triangle? Well now that's what you see. Wait until the last round.
The game does have some old furniture, some. You are free to use CC don't forget. It's a weigh up.

@gazania I thought you had the 6 kids! Of course the Pets might be as bad.

@NatteryakToad My main tip for going over budget with the build, is make it smaller.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#433 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 11:08 AM
Thank you, Jo For the warning about the last round too :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#434 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 11:20 AM
I will admit I had fun setting up these family ideas, and watching everyone tackle the lots. :D

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#435 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 11:41 AM
OMG the roof! It's going to be a huge challenge trying to get the roof to look half decent. I so hate roofs. I think I've finally come up with a layout that doesn't completely suck. Still far from finished.
Field Researcher
#436 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 11:57 AM
I just learned that I should try and do a roof as soon as I have finished the outer walls. Otherwise, I'll have to redo the inner walls and rooms anyway when it doesn't work out.

I think this round is going to be more interesting with all the different families to pick. I can't wait to see how all of them can live on this foundation.

I am almost finished with a house for the Rodneys, but I might try another one before I decide what to submit
Mad Poster
#437 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:10 PM
Well, since this is a fresh hood, it might be a while before my Sim learns to sew curtains But I do have a few days, I guess .. good to know crafted items wouldn't count toward the total. At least both of them can make potholders!

Scholar
#438 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:20 PM
Will I still get the no CC bonus if I have RLS in my game files? It was fine in the first entry to be accepted, but I plan to have all my entries no CC (and then easily share them in a single upload without the headache of sharing a lot with CC) and I wouldn’t want to lose the bonus just because of having the lighting mod.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#439 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:25 PM
I'm sure this was already asked and okayed, or was it for somebody else? It doesn't appear to change your day light lighting at all, so yes it's fine.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#440 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:02 PM
Well it was me asking, but that was about the application, so I preferred to ask for clarity about the bonus Great I don’t need to mess around with uninstalling it.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#441 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:45 PM
Whoward if you already have ultimate collection installed on your machine, you don't need to keep origin on it to play the game.

Or am I totally misreading that with it being way too early in the morning for me!

Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
Does the obstacle course count as workout equipment?

Edit (to avoid a double post)

Is it possible to extract the hobby items (potter's wheel, etc) as non-functional (ie deco only) objects for those of us that don't play with Free Time? (ie those of us who's daughter has reclaimed their Origin login and left Dad with the CDs!) I tried, but SimPE didn't extract the mesh (despite ticking stand-alone object), presumably because the mesh is in a different package than the FT (or later) version of objects.package
Mad Poster
#442 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:46 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 16th May 2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Improved house & pictures
Here is the house I built specially for the Lambert's.
I won't get points for amazing decoration, I'll even loose some, but I am so very happy about everything else. No money..no deco! that's what they say.
It didn't say if the toddlers were boys or girls..so I decided, girls. The boys asked their parents if they could be given a large enough bedroom, so they could all share. Papa said OK.
But the teens will have each their room...Blame Thally. She would not want her friends to think that she is the weirdo...so a bedroom to her own! Yeah, Thally is difficult.
Kayla though..quite relax. Headphones & music all day, dye her hair every chances she gets. But they had no Purple&Black at the store.
The only times Thally will tolerate her weirdo sister, is when they all play video games..Now that's a fun time.
TreeHouse is usable, the slope is fine to get there. I have tested it prior to continue building, because yes, I started with building the tree house.
Judges, you'll see some shade near the rounded roof (left of it, entry pic & front pic)This is not a lack of wall paper, but due to angle of the big roof being at 15 degree. game renders it this way.
Thank you.
Random object : The Wanderfall kids picture, you'll find it on the last picture.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
#443 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 2:02 PM Last edited by yavannatw : 21st Apr 2017 at 2:24 PM.
Well, I'm amazed you did all that on 35,000. I struggled to keep under this time. Yep, amazed.
And I love your tree house.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#444 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 2:48 PM
Rosebine, I love your tree house, and sims can actually walk up that? Good to know.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#445 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 3:16 PM
Yes, they can First thing i tested. I would have add a picture of sims going to it, but there is a max..and i had way too many pictures!! Funny, detail : When i tested it with a family of 2 I made just for testing, son went for the the toy box, (i asked him to) and dad followed him and thought it was a good place to observe birds. ahah!
Let me know if you still want a pic of sims going up on it. though it won't be counting towards points or pictures. i already have my 12 extras.

Mad Poster
#446 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:37 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 21st Apr 2017 at 4:52 PM.
I've built the shell of a house, which I'm reasonably happy with, and built a bike shed in the back garden, which I think means that this house is for the Elliotts. It's cost about §11,500 so far which should leave up to about §23,500 to fit it out and decorate it. To my way of thinking that should be enough to give them a touch of luxury -- I'm used to trying to build and furnish a house for under §20,000. At this point though, needing inspiration, I closed down Aedicia, my Sim-free building 'hood, and opened Elswyn, the 'hood I've created for the contest. Then I opened CAS and made the Elliotts:

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#447 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:02 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Apr 2017 at 5:25 PM.
I'm STILL over on the blasted 35,000 Simoleons ... by just a little bit. I admire your keeping in the budget AND making a lovely lot, Rosebine, and like what you did with the tree house! That was really clever.

I haven't done the final test for my lot, either ... played a family with two dogs, two cats, etc. It's one thing to finish the lot; quite another to test for stompies. I've had to redo the rooms so many times because I wanted to do something else that I lost count.

I still tell myself that if I somehow get the Newmans to work in this lot, I can look forward to perhaps an easier family the next time. Maybe Lady Luck will smile on me when I roll the dice for the next family!

Mad Poster
#448 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:07 PM
Thank you! This is my first treehouse ever..and honestly the first time using CFE without following a tutorial. I am quite proud of me.

Lab Assistant
#449 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That counts as CC yes. You can only use items that you can source from inside the game. So build and buy mode, career rewards, aspiration rewards, crafted or grown items are allowed. Life stories is going outside of sims 2.

Hi

I have to get this straight: No CC unless you say the CC is okay. Anything in the Game is okay which leaves out the Store stuff and the Official downloads from the old site which are considered CC- yes?

I have one house built but now I have an idea for a different family and I really want to try and build it. Too much time gives more options, not like the first round when I had to work fast because the places were filling up faster then I could build.

*Yay! I see one familiar Avatar
**Crud- I did the family with Pets, first. Onward anyway.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#450 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:11 PM
I still don't know if I should go with my current building or just start over. My issue is that because I'm doing apartments, by the time I get to the level that the family will be living in, my foundation doesn't look much the same as all of yours anymore. It's just a play along so it doesn't really matter, but it still feels really on the line to me.

Can y'all help? Press 'Agree' for me to keep going with this one, or 'Disagree' for me to start over and pay closer attention to the foundation. (I'll prolly upload it regardless cuz I think it's cool.)
Screenshots

Page 18 of 106