Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 11:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims won't appear in SimPE Sim Surgery
I'm following this tutorial on how to package and export Sims, but can't get past the Sim Surgery part. My Sims show up fine in Sim Description, but don't appear in the Sim Surgery option. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right - what could be happening?
I'm running UC on Windows 10, in case that makes a difference.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 11:58 PM
Okay, sorry to add on, but after looking at stuff in Sim Browser, I learned this much:
None of them have thumbnails in Sim Browser, and under Availability, where all other Sims say OK, the entire family says "No Char..." so I can't imagine what that means. It couldn't mean No Character Data, could it? I mean, they're all playables, I haven't deleted them or anything. I was literally playing them like, an hour ago. I don't know if that means anything, or if it's unrelated, but I figured I may as well mention it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 1:41 AM
Can you post a picture of what you can see?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 11:21 PM
Sorry, the forum won't let me post pictures right now, so here's a link to the images on Imgur.
The first photo shows my Sims appearing fine in Sim description (Towards the bottom list, everyone between Lina 4 and Amethyst 4). The second shows Sim Surgery, where Lina should be but isn't. None of the Sims appear there. And the third is how it looks in Sim Browser. (Note that Rosemary Opal and Velvet 4 are unrelated Sims, and are in the Family Bin.)

And sorry for taking a while to reply, I had already gotten off of the computer when you replied last night.
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 12:57 AM
"No Char..." does mean "No Character Data"; all columns in SimPE can be resized.
sims with no character data do not appear in Sim Surgery; also the universal characters.
to "restore" character data, follow this process::
1. create a look-alike in the game (preferably same neighborhood).
2. exit game.
3. open the look-alike's character file and extract all resources (preferably to some out-of-game directory and preferably separate from other extractions).
4. open the original sim's character file. remove current resources and import the resources that were exacted from the look-alike. then save file.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:21 AM
Well, the missing portraits in SimBrowser just look like missing portraits - the game, since AL I think, has a habit of continually rerolling portraits and they go missing till they're regenerated (usually when you play them). That's nothing particularly to worry about. The No Character Data is a whole other issue and I'm not sure why you got that. Did anything happen while you were playing or did you remove anything from your game? I'm not sure mdsb759's suggested method is gonig to be feasible when you have so many and anyway I think that indicates something systematic happening. Do you have a back up?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:23 AM
Okay - can you clarify what you mean by "create a look-alike"? (Sorry if that's a really dumb question ahah)

And also - how did they end up without character data??? I was under the impression that only universal Sims and Sims that got deleted from the Sim Bin would have no/incomplete character data. Is it possible that it's a mod or CC problem? Should I be concerned for my game?
If it makes a difference, these Sims are in Veronaville; I know all the Maxis hoods come pre-corrupted, but could that be the cause?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:26 AM
No, I haven't removed anything or noticed anything strange while playing. And I have a backup, but it's from ages and ages ago (before any of the kids were born, I think. I know, I need to get better with backing up my files.) My questions from the previous reply still stand - should I be worried?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:30 AM
Yes, I think you need to pursue why they have no character data. It sounds like (I'm not saying it's this) a corrupted save file which has ripped the character files. Are they all from the same family/lot?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:40 AM
Yeah, they're all from the same family. I created 3 of them in CAS, and the rest are all born in-game. They're also the only family I play in that save (not the only playables, because as I said, it's Veronaville, but the only ones I've ever played as).
What could be some possible reasons they could be without character data? Sorry I know so little about this, I'm relatively new to Sims 2 and brand new to SimPE.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:53 AM
It might be a corrupted save then. Can you go back into the lot? If you can, try making a new save.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:57 AM
Okay - unfortunately, I won't be able to get on my Simming computer for a few days (possibly Wednesday, but probably Friday) - I'll make sure to check then and report back. Thank you for all the help, in the meantime! I seriously appreciate it^^
Alchemist
#13 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 1:59 AM
by "look-alike" I mean a sim that looks the same.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 2:29 AM
OH MY GOD sorry to post again so soon but I think I just realized what caused it, and it's 100% my fault.
I was rereading the "avoiding game corruption" guide on here to make sure I didn't do anything on there on accident, and one of the listed things is "don't delete geneticized skins".
I didn't delete any, but I did regeneticize my skins (assign new genetic values to them using SimPE) AFTER starting the save, including both parents' skins.
It's that, isn't it? That's what happened here?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 2:11 PM
If you didn't change the GUID, it shouldn't be a problem.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 5:44 PM
Oh, really? Okay, I feel significantly less stupif now.

All I changed was the genetic value.

I figured it was the most likely culprit since it was the whole family. My bad.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 8:06 PM
Okay, I'm back.

I ran my game and tried to open the lot that the fileless Sims live on; it still opens fine, and plays fine. I created two test families in CAS (one in the same neighborhood, and one in a different one) and plopped them in a house then checked them in SimPE; they showed up fine, as they should. I'll run HoodChecker now and see what it pops up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 8:20 PM
HoodChecker... won't run?
HoodChecker itself is giving me this issue: x and hitting Continue freezes it - I think that problem is because I don't have admin permissions on this computer (I'm a minor and live at home, it's not my own personal computer). So there's that plan out the window. But the other information still stands... would it be plausible to just accept that the neighborhood may explode eventually and keep playing them until it does so?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 8:29 PM
Did you resave the lot with the affected sims?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 8:54 PM
When I checked just now? No, but I can go in and save them again. Do you want me to do that?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heyheyitslk
When I checked just now? No, but I can go in and save them again. Do you want me to do that?

Yes, it might reset them. If you're unsure, make a backup copy first.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 5:36 PM
I saved, nothing changed.