Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 2:13 PM
Need help with my mods.
Hey, I need a help with finding why my game loads so long from my mods, I have them compressed into one package as well as the store.packages ones and my game won't load a new game at all! Can anyone help me?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 3:25 PM
How many .packages did you merge? How big is the one .package you're using?

Might be a piece of broken content mixed in there somewhere. In this case, try the 50% method; it's tedious, but it helps isolate problem files.

As a heads up, you need to run Store content through S3RC before extracting the .package files from the .sims3packs. It helps avoid issues, including missing file descriptions and thumbnails. You may also need to grab some fixes for your converted Store content, since some items are known to conflict with each other (missing accessories and/or interactions).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 5:27 PM
There are also various classes of items that should never be merged at all as they or your game will malfunction. I believe those include skins and core mods, probably others. Script mods is an ongoing debate (I would never merge them), tuning mods are okay but become a pain to remove or update if ever needed.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 6:19 PM
Please post Help questions in Help, not in Discussion. Moving.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Alchemist
#5 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
There are also various classes of items that should never be merged at all as they or your game will malfunction. I believe those include skins and core mods, probably others. Script mods is an ongoing debate (I would never merge them), tuning mods are okay but become a pain to remove or update if ever needed.

If you're talking about custom skins, I've been merging them ever since I started merging things and haven't encountered any issues. Same goes with my mods (I have most of the Nraas mods and have merged them into a single package). However, I don't recommend merging anything without keeping the unmerged files somewhere (external HDD, for example) as a backup.

As for merging, merged packages obviously shouldn't be a ridiculous size. I've tried with less than 100MB and have worked my way to 150MB per merged package. The best way to go about this for me was to crack down and keep only the CC that I was actively using in-game or was planning to use in the immediate future, and divide it into categories. For example:
- Build Mode (folder): Doors, Fences, Wallpaper, Terrain Paint etc.;
- Buy Mode (folder): Kitchen & Dining Room, Office & Skills, Bedroom, Bathroom etc.;
- Clothes & Accessories (folder): Tops, Bottoms, Outfits, Shoes (divided by gender for adults, and by age for the others);
- Hair: Above Shoulders, Long, Shoulders (same as with the clothes).
...and so on.

By approaching the matter like this, you'll probably still end up with +100MB merged packages, but they'll be more neatly organized and easier on your system.