Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 17th Dec 2006 at 2:17 PM Last edited by niol : 17th Dec 2006 at 2:45 PM.
Inge,

I changed 2 things:
1. the group ID into 1C0532FA, so the txtr group ID should be 1C0532FA while the relocation before the txtr name in the txmt file should be ##0x1C0532FA! instead of ##0x1C050000!. I'm not saying it must be the one I changed to, but it at least works out.
2. (probably unnecessary for txtr files, this has to be done for LIFO files during the process of changing the default graphical sizes tho in my expereinces.) create resource for txtr.

ToRnado,
you may switch
stdMatEnvCubeLockedToCamera = from "1" back to "0"
After all, just check out which result is better to your eyes.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#27 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 3:20 AM
ok i deleted groups.cache and went into game...nothing original image still there along with the new 1. tried changing the group id to: ##0x1C0532FA! that resulted in the texture not showing up and getting that 100100 missing texture image. i am baffled to where the damn thing is getting the original image from.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 3:36 AM Last edited by niol : 18th Dec 2006 at 4:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
ok i deleted groups.cache and went into game...nothing original image still there along with the new 1. tried changing the group id to: ##0x1C0532FA! that resulted in the texture not showing up and getting that 100100 missing texture image. i am baffled to where the damn thing is getting the original image from.

you may check out the attached "fixed" package from post 24 this thread just in case.

in your self-fixed version, the group ID of the *future-envcube_txtr* file has to be changed into 1C0532FA at the resource view tab.

Probably, that was the default replacement for envcube map when the envcube txtr partially properly linked... ?

But, that's a nice phenomenon...
(I C pouqois ur avat-nom jintsoi.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
you may check out the attached "fixed" package from post 24 this thread just in case.

in your self-fixed version, the group ID of the *future-envcube_txtr* file has to be changed into 1C0532FA at the resource view tab.

Probably, that was the default replacement for envcube map when the envcube txtr partially properly linked... ?

But, that's a nice phenomenon...
(I C pouqois ur avat-nom jintsoi.)

ok this is what it looks like to me downloading that fixed package. texture doesnt show up at all just some weird blurry thing? i give up
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#30 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 5:29 AM Last edited by niol : 18th Dec 2006 at 5:48 AM.
Lol, the package is already working, but it's just whether the effect done by the method you used to create the envcube map works out the way you first expected.

If you pay attention to the reflection patterns added to the surfaces of the cube, they're from your future-envcube_txtr file already.

I surely have no idea what you exactly want as the resultant effect. But, even the maxis neighbourhood-envcube and many other untwisted graphical envcube maps are really used and presented in this way.

If you want somehing similar to the metallic or reflective envcube maps, you'd better study them to figure out how to do that type of reflection.

Besides, what's important here is the top surface is acting like a vehicle glass already. relax... That's already the major plain for the reflection.

After all, there may be some other ways to work out... Sorry, i can't be any more helpful at all than the things I've said already.

Good lucks...
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 7:24 AM
what i'm trying to achieve is the effect in my 1st package the 1 with 2 textures. that looked perfect except there were 2 textures like this except with just the 1 texture not the old 1:

so in the future to make a custom envcube what do i need to do? a short tut would be good.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#32 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 6:37 PM Last edited by niol : 18th Dec 2006 at 7:02 PM.
Lol, I just realised the envcube reflection is active even in the neighbourhood mode...

ToRnado,

Alright, now I see what you really want... .
It was the stdMatEnvCubeLockedToCamera = 1 that keeps the sides blurred and twisted. This's a nice feature, yet I this's a little OT now coz it's not something you wanna see...

Just realised that these all work!
1. ##0x1C050000!
2. ##0x1C0532FA!
3. (nil, no relocation!)

Here comes the 2nd fix...
Attached files:
File Type: rar  testcube-2nd-fix.rar (223.6 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 8:00 PM
here's what it looks like to me it's still distorted (see cube2)

i made another test cube and just gave it a maxis envcube texture outdoordaytime-envcube and looked at it in the game. the texture wasn't distorted and i could actually see it if i zoomed in close enough. that's what it should look like. why does it go all distorted?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#34 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 7:03 AM
from what I see is that the graphical distortion is supposed to be so, and this does act on the other Maxis envcube maps...

making an envcube map is definitely a hard work. please compare your envcube map with the maxis ones
outdoordaytime-envcube
reflectioncubecityscape-envcube
reflectionoutdoorwater-envcube
swimming_pool-envcube
neighborhooddesert-envcube
outdoornighttime-envcube

Just in case, remember about 1 thing, as someone had already stated earlier, your envcube map is NOT matching the default direction. It's 180* rotated.

From my viewpoint,
The left end to the middle can be what you see from a "reflection" of the top surface of the cube.
The right half will be what you see on the sides...
Also, please reconsider the depth of the graphical elements. The closer an element is the more distorted/twisted the reflection can be, you see what I mean?

The co-presentation of the custom one and the neighbourhood one seems to be an error itself. and I still don't know how to control this error... sorry...
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 7:16 AM
these custom envcube maps are starting to become a big pain in the a** think i'll just stick to using the ones in the game:

Reflectionbronze-envcube (orange)

Reflectiongold-envcube (gold)

Reflectionbronzenonlit-envcube dark orange)

reflectionbronze-envcube (light orange)

Reflectiondarkgold-envcube (darker gold)

Reclectiongoldnonlit-envcube (med tone gold)

reflectiongold-envcube (light gold)

Reflectionsilver-envcube (sliver)

Reflectionsilvernonlit-envcube (darker silver)

Reflectionsparking-envcube (black to red)

outdoordaytime-envcube (outdoor texture)

gothlivingroom_01-envcube (brown)

reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube (makes texture blurry good for

glass)

reflectionkitchenhighcontrastonyx-envcub (blue)

reflectioncubecityscape-envcube (city texture)

fencemoroccangate-envcube (weird orange)

swimming_pool-envcube (swimming pool texture)

neighborhooddesert-envcube (desert texture)

neighborhood-sky2-envcube (sky texture)

nightreflection2-envcube (night time texture)

reflectionoutdoorwater (water reflection)

sidebluelights-envcube (blue texture)

skymap-generic-day-envcube (sky texture 2 mostly blue)

skymap-generic-day-highres-envcube (2 shades blue)

skymap-generic-night-envcube (real dark blue)
Mad Poster
#36 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 4:29 PM Last edited by niol : 19th Dec 2006 at 4:56 PM.
relax... I think the texture you used is beautiful, but just needs some modifications for your purposes...

Hold on...

The ones I listed out should be some easier maps to compare with than the glass/metallic reflection maps, I believe.
Scholar
Original Poster
#37 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 8:16 PM
the texture i used i modified it the same as the maxis ones. you have to rotate them 90 degrees to the left than mirror them that's what i did.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 3:43 AM
Lol, try out the Maxis defaults I listed out in-game, and compare the in-game rendering with the envcube map... and you may see what I meant.
Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 9:06 AM Last edited by ToRnado : 20th Dec 2006 at 9:19 AM.
they all look the same to me. you need to rotate your image 90 degrees to the right and than mirror it. that's what i've done though?
Mad Poster
#40 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 5:14 PM
Lol, since this is a reflection simulation. any objects that appears very close to the surface of an reflective object will have their reflections wel twisted according to the reflective surface shape and surface roughness. Say, try to use a metallic pen or a plain reflective surface and observe how it reflects nearby objects VS distant ones. hopefully, you'll see what I mean here.

In your graphic, the buildings are getting very close to the camera. The objects or buildings in the Maxis ones are still presented far away from the camera. So, it's the depth, the distance, the sizes of the nearby buildings that affects the resultant reflection presentation.

The rotation and mirroring/flipping are still necessary...
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 9:05 PM
so all images have to have a far away look in them if you want them to appear correctly?
Mad Poster
#42 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 11:05 PM
No, the image is already correct for the accordingly imagined scene yet not the one you planned on.
for your purposes, "to have a far away look" seems to be the way to try out.
lol, just use some photoes of distant objects to confirm if that difference is the main cause.

I can never be sure something 100%... coz I can be not seeing other difference(s) which be the real or stronger cause(s)...

The suggestion is based on my comparison between yours and the Maxis one.
Scholar
Original Poster
#43 Old 21st Dec 2006 at 7:43 AM
i also noticed that using the reflection on the test cube has gotten rid of the metallic chrome look on the cube. in fact i can see the metal textures before that dissapeared and looked nice and shiny. like in the 1st image i posted with the 2 reflection map images showing.
Page 2 of 2