Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 3:31 PM Last edited by Amichan619 : 7th Jan 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Default The Palace of Versailles (All Eps, No CC!) BETA RELEASE 2015!
Hello everyone! To celebrate the release of the "Rococo Resplendence - Palace of Versailles" set in The Sims 3 Store,

I would like to share the world I'm currently working on, The palace and town of Versailles!

NO CC, ALL EPs used, Store Content used

This world has been under construction since July, 2012 that's roughly 7 months!

I'm not exactly sure when this will be finished, (or if it will even be finished) since The Sims 4 is fast approaching,
but I just want to have fun with making this world and I hope everyone will like it!

Here are some images of the palace!

That's all for the moment! I'll post pictures of the town in the next post!

-Chow!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 3:42 PM
Default Town of Versailles pictures
Here are some pictures of the town!

The Plaza!

The Cathedral!

That's all I will show for now, I hope you guys give me good feedback! I'll try my best to update you guys and answer your questions so please ask!

- Chow!
Alchemist
#3 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 3:49 PM
Well shit, that's massive. I think it will cause a bad lagg on low- to mid-end computers. Not saying it's bad, it looks really awesome so far Do you have a overview screenshot of the whole map for us? and what's the map size?

Oh on the last picture of your 2nd post (please don't double post, use a spoiler instead) there's some grass sticking through the wall. It could work as moss af you paint it to a dark green but i think it's better if you fix that

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 5:27 PM
It looks pretty awesome

I would cap it at 150 lots max; Versaille isn't a particularily large town and you could do it by cutting away the less important parts of the town. Those townhouses can also be just shells, with much smaller apartments and shops in them.

Another small note- I think the townhouses would look a bit better with a frieze below the mansard roof, in order to give a bit of height so that the windows won't be covered by the roof overhang. A lighter colored roof would also look better, imo.
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 5:44 PM
looking REALLY good :o !!
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 6:26 PM
I totally agree with jje1000

This is off topic but: What specs do you have that your PC can handle buildings that massive?

#7 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 7:02 PM
This looks lovely, I'd love to see some interior shots of the palace! Are you going for a historical world or is it present-day?
Theorist
#8 Old 9th Feb 2013 at 12:53 AM
Looks stunning, very much like pictures I have seen of traditional French towns. Very similar. Love the big, regal buildings and that white/blue/yellow colour scheme.
And it looks pretty big too. Hoods like this need to be big to capture that real European town feel, and also to sustain enhancements from future EP's. it does look a real contender, this hood. Bravo.

Not too keen on the spiky fences on the balconies, they look positively dangerous to me. Players can change this at their leisure though, so not really a flaw in my book.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
dodgy builder
#9 Old 9th Feb 2013 at 10:42 AM
I have been to Versailles and was thinking of this as a project. The palace looks very right at the front with the unsymmetrical sides the architect was critizised for. I miss the height the palace sits on, it gives it a splended view over the gardens. I took some pictures of the garden while I was there. I like your fountains and the overall "map". The first pictures in this set is from Versailles, it may be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/795949...603171065/show/

I don't remember the houses in the town being that big, but I was probably not really looking at the houses. A place like this needs some trips, it's too big for just one trip. It looks to me like you have the exterior and far away view finished, while the closeup are more unfinished? How wide in tiles are the Palace wings?

Great work, keep at it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Feb 2013 at 10:57 AM
Wow! Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!
I'll post overview screenshots and my computer specs later!

@ Johnny_Bravo : Yes! The world is pretty big! -biggest map size, -lowest map height. And about the lag, I know that's why I'm trying to tone things up a bit.

@ jje1000 : I've placed 97 lots so far so yes, around 150 lots would be a good place to stop. About the windows partially covered by the roof, is it really that bad? I didn't even notice that until you did, so Thanks!

@ BourgeoisBanana : It will be in present-day Versailles, complete with rabbit holes and community lots from all EPs!

@ tizerist : About the fences, well these are only two wrought iron fences I have in my game so I don't have much of a choice dude! :D
Lab Assistant
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 2:46 PM
@Volvenom : Thanks for sharing your pictures! They were very helpful indeed! About the platform that the buildings are built on, I'm currently working on it.

@reinmag: Thanks for the links but I don't plan on using any custom content in the hood!

About the size of the world, yes! it will be a big one! I'll try to tone tings down so that it will be easier for people with less powerful computers to play.

For now, here's an overview of the world - under construction..
Screenshots
Alchemist
#13 Old 12th Feb 2013 at 6:39 PM
Are you going to make a rual area, too?
And what's coming at the very back, at the canal? a big park?

#14 Old 14th Feb 2013 at 3:13 AM
Well fuck me sideways. That looks AMAZING!

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 3:21 PM
This looks incredible! Are you going to build the Petit Trianon and Marie Antoinettes farm too?
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 8:25 PM
very nice. Can we see some more pics please? And have you done any interiors?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Feb 2013 at 8:58 AM
Hello everyone! Thank you for the positive responses!

@ Johnny_Bravo: The world will be rural, and there will be nothing at the back of the canal because the routing doesn't go that far, just until the tip of the arms.

By the way I'm starting to paint the terrain (with great difficulty) especially fields! Can anyone give any input on the pictures? And can anyone share some tips how to make the world look better?

Screenshots
Theorist
#18 Old 20th Feb 2013 at 9:08 PM
What happened to all the buildings? And what sort of distant terrain are you looking to use?

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 10:44 AM
@ tizerist: I deleted the buildings, so it will be easier for me to paint the terrain, but don't worry, they'll be back soon! As for the distant terrain, I'm not gonna use one, but I'm doing my best to cover up all the edges!
Theorist
#20 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 12:46 PM
Distant terrain would help with that a lot. I recommend it. The central part of your hood is gorgeous though, can't take nothing away from that.

#BlairWitchPetition
Test Subject
#21 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 4:25 PM
how is this going??? :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 7:59 AM Last edited by Amichan619 : 5th Mar 2013 at 12:57 PM.
@ scot954: It's actually going quite well!

Just a quick update guys!

- I'm done with terraforming! I tested the hood in game and so far, you can't see the ocean int the distance so yay!

- I'm also 80% done with terrain painting, and about 50% done with placing the flora and miscellaneous decor objects.

- I've worked out what to do with the palace, and it's very complicated! The entire thing is going to be based on the actual plan and layout of the palace so It's going to be a huge undertaking for me!

- Considering the number of expansion packs and available lot types, there's going to be over 150 lots! That's a lot of building to be done!

Finally, I'm going to be picking up university later so I'm looking forward to discover new thing to place in this neighborhood! In the meantime, Its a make it work moment for me but I'll definitely keep you guys updated!

Edit:

Okay guys! Screw what I said about getting university today, I'll get it later this week! Meanwhile, I managed to enter edit in game whilst doing my usual world creation today so I guess I'll share some snapshots!

The bridge and surrounding areas!

One of the secondary avenues this one leading to the bridge!

View of the grand canal from the "grand perspective"!

One of the arms of the grand canal, view from the garden of the grand trianon!

Some rural areas west of the town!

And finally, an overview of the town and the progress I've done so far!

About the routing: The lighter areas are generally the "non routable" areas for both sims and camera. I hope this would give everyone a decent picture about how big the neighborhood actually is. (Its actually not that big! I've tested it in game and it didn't exactly take a while for my sim to get around town! -she was on a bike!)

And lastly can anyone teach me how to make spoilers? I've been trying to figure that out while making this post. I know I'm like a total dumbass but please HELP!! Anyway that's about It for now, I'll just have to finish painting the northeast side of town and plop some more trees and decor! So guys? What do you think of it so far? Please comment and share your opinions and suggestions!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 9:24 PM
Looks fabulous.

One thing that bothers me tho: The simish-streets. Dunno whether you used the automatic street or a costumized that just looks like the simmish, but imho the yellow middle stripe o the street is not quite what my memory tells me abt France, least alone France at Rococo Aera.

Still struggling with CAW :x
Instructor
#24 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amichan619
And lastly can anyone teach me how to make spoilers? I've been trying to figure that out while making this post. I know I'm like a total dumbass but please HELP!! Anyway that's about It for now, I'll just have to finish painting the northeast side of town and plop some more trees and decor! So guys? What do you think of it so far? Please comment and share your opinions and suggestions!

First off --- :lovestruc I love what you have going on here!

I don't have much to offer in the way of critique / help except on the spoiler.

[*spoiler="whatever you want to be the header"] whatever you want to hide [*/spoiler]

(Remove the asterisks of course...)
Theorist
#25 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 11:22 PM
Yeah I love the look of it. The canal appears to be unroutable. Is this true? It's a nice looking area, and it would be a shame to have no interactions with it.
Also, will there be any large blank lots anywhere?

#BlairWitchPetition
Locked thread | Locked by: heaven Reason: Inactive
Page 1 of 6