Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 9:48 PM
Default Academy related question
What is so special about "Academy" beside having a few wooden dummies and chopping blocks? Or if I in need of building one, what else do I need to concern myself with beside those 2 above? I haven't played WA that far to find out if there is any real tournament to be held, if any.

I am looking at Bridgeport and having a hard time deciding where to place an academy. Unlike a laundromat that I could do with a 10x10 slot, it wouldn't be right to put an academy on a 10x10. So I am thinking to use the gym, add a level, and rename it "Academy", or maybe just leave it as "Gym". So I may have to choose losing 1 or the other if I decide to combine them.

Any input on this?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 1:07 AM
A quick google suggests they provide a boost to martial arts learning sims.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Academy

It's personal preference, in my opinion. No one knows what kind of game you play or what your world looks like. If you'd rather put the equipment in the gym - do so. If you'd rather a special location, such as the academy, you can build that too.

*shrug*

"There's downloadable dongs elsewhere."
My Plumbob Story
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heartbreak
A quick google suggests they provide a boost to martial arts learning sims.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Academy

It's personal preference, in my opinion. No one knows what kind of game you play or what your world looks like. If you'd rather put the equipment in the gym - do so. If you'd rather a special location, such as the academy, you can build that too.

*shrug*

That was what I meant: I was pondering if I should separate academy from the gym because there might be special events just for academy, like the park (with occasional BBQ event, for example). It is not if I "rather" or not "rather", it is about a chance of loss of events versus the very limited open space. I knew from the beginning it is entirely up to me if I want to turn all buildings into academy, even.

With all the due respect, I was asking if perchance I might miss out anything if I just omit either a "Gym" or "Academy" on my neighborhood. It is not really up to my opinion how TS3 operates, this is why the question.

Eminence Grise
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 2:35 AM
Easiest way to see exactly what the consequences are of zoning a lot any particular way is by looking at the XML. Under Venues, IIRC. Different types of sims are attracted to different lot types, among other differences.

Besides that, there are "go to gym" and "go to pool" interactions available to some sims, triggered by the Athletic trait, I think. And, as Heartbreak said, the Academy gives a boost to martial arts skilling.

I don't think you REALLY need a big Academy, though. Basically all it has to have is a board breaker and training dummy. So you could squeeze in a mini one next to the gym.

For my game, though, I consider it too cheaty to put an academy in the base hood. Sims need a reason to travel
Field Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 2:49 AM
My bad. I didn't interpret your Q as if you were asking about potentially missing opportunities rather than learning the skill at a faster rate (asking if there was anything special).

My first version of Sunset Valley had an Academy and never noticed any benefits from it or opportunities from it (but this is back when WA was released). As such, I found it hogged space and just put the objects in the gym.
Even so, I never noticed a "lack of boost" from it being in the gym, either.

"There's downloadable dongs elsewhere."
My Plumbob Story
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 5:39 AM
Thanks for input.

As much as I had been complaining about the lack of content depth in TS3, I do give EA credit for giving a wide range of content (interactions) for us to discover. This is why I, in a way, "Have to know" all these. Because, honestly, EA leaves us with very very little room to expand. First time playing TS3, I modified about 60% of the lots (residential and community), but for Bridgeport, I feel like I can only modify about 20% at best. By saying modifying, I mean seriously replacing the lots, not just edit up a bit.

Srikandi, I agree with you that sims need a reason to travel. I now cherish the "lack of" materials for sims, so they are forced to travel. Or else, I end up having them spending easily 4-5 days straight at home and getting this "Stir Crazy" moodlet. With the respect to martial arts and their practices, I feel wrong to just put a dummy and a board breaker in a tiny lot and call it "Academy". Anyhow, what I ended up doing was to "borrow" a 20x30 tomb from China and place it in that 20x30 cabin near the bridge in Bridgeport. Removing the dungeon, and with some touch up, it makes a marvelous Academy, a place you *really* want to visit. I will upload it if someone wants.

heartbreak, I spent a little time in China (in TS3) and trained there for most of my main sims. I didn't even notice the "boost" at all, comparing to training at home after my sims brought the dummy home. Thanks for the reply, I was actually hoping for more interactions like martial art tournaments (like one of the lifetime wish). Is there any real martial art tournament, how would it happen? I was under a little presumption that Academy would be the place to hold "tournament" events as Opportunities for sims, even I find no related objects for tournament at all.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 6:37 AM
The one thing that I've noticed is that if you place the dummy and board breaker in a gym no Sim will use them autonomously. If the lot is categorised as an academy they will flock there and train like crazy. An academy is probably one of the most attractive community lot types for non-controlled Sims to visit. They will gladly skip work or school for it and in no time you will have a town of unemployed Martial Arts masters. But, unfortunately, you won't be able to challenge them for a tournament.
Placing an academy in a town like Bridgeport might therefore very well lead to even emptier clubs and bars.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
The one thing that I've noticed is that if you place the dummy and board breaker in a gym no Sim will use them autonomously. If the lot is categorised as an academy they will flock there and train like crazy. An academy is probably one of the most attractive community lot types for non-controlled Sims to visit. They will gladly skip work or school for it and in no time you will have a town of unemployed Martial Arts masters. But, unfortunately, you won't be able to challenge them for a tournament.
Placing an academy in a town like Bridgeport might therefore very well lead to even emptier clubs and bars.

Hmmmm, that is the thing I want, a little autonomous usage from non playing sims. Although I really don't have much problems with empty bars, sims just flock to everywhere my main sim is going, whether it be a bar or Chinese take-out King.

How do you do tournament again?

Instructor
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 7:18 AM Last edited by BenC0722 : 23rd Apr 2011 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Hmmmm, that is the thing I want, a little autonomous usage from non playing sims. Although I really don't have much problems with empty bars, sims just flock to everywhere my main sim is going, whether it be a bar or Chinese take-out King.

How do you do tournament again?

Babele44 is right that the Academy will inspire inactive sims to learn the martial arts skill. It's why I like to place it.

It's also a purchasable property. When fully upgraded, it provides $14,750 (I think) each sim week. On this note, the nectary is also a purchasable property, with a maximum revenue of $35,000 per week.

As far as the tournament (I assume you mean martial arts tournaments, not chess tournaments), that can only happen after your sim travels to China.

I don't know of any way to make that possible anywhere else. I suspect that it's something in the core, where doing the tournament depends on if your sim is in China. But I could be completely off-base. I haven't even written a script mod yet, much less a core mod.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 8:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
the Academy will inspiring inactive sims to learn the martial arts skill. It's why I like to place it.
Plus, this will trigger academy related wants (like the wish to visit it or learn Sim Fu in the first place.

Quote:
As far as the tournament (I assume you mean martial arts tournaments, not chess tournaments), that can only happen after your sim travels to China.

I don't know of any way to make that possible anywhere else. I suspect that it's something in the core, where doing the tournament depends on if your sim is in China. But I could be completely off-base. I haven't even written a script mod yet, much less a core mod.
Judging from the fact that AwesomeMod has a SupremeCommander function that let's you automatically do tournaments, I suppose you're right. Because it's only available in China and nowhere else.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 4:07 PM
I never considered the Academy anything beyond just a fancy gym.

Time to create the Sunset Valley Miyagi Dojo!