Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 1:24 AM
Default Y'all still kicking?
I miss the Christians group on MTS. I really wish we were a more active community. I'm not trying to preach "CONVERT OR DIE!!!!1!!!1!1!" to the site, don't misunderstand me like that. But I wish this group could be praying for each other, sharing our testimonies, and just hanging out.

Most of all, I am thankful that MTS, despite being a secular site, welcomes or at least tolerates a community like ours that is rejected in so many other communities. Thank you, MTS.

So who's still alive?

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 5:36 AM
Not Me!
Sorry, I know what you mean.
It is harder though when we haven't got physical contact. I think I might have driven others away (that's just me though)

sorry that this is a week late.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 5:54 PM
Quote:
I think I might have driven others away (that's just me though)

I don't think so. You started some pretty cool conversations. I'm still alive
Scholar
#5 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 8:01 AM
What about Affinity Sims? I'm sure that I seen Gospel there somewhere.
Thanks @venusking.

So if we start up again what would be good conversation? I was thinking about the theological issues in relation to our time.
Ie what the old testemant laws are like in relation to today laws.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 12:48 AM
That sounds interesting. I always thought some of the laws were so extreme (a literal eye for an eye - yikes). However, I was reading a book recently about ancient civilizations and their laws were comparable. So, for their time, they were relatively reasonable. The eye for an eye rule was actually to prevent out of proportion revenge, such as killing someone for gouging your eye out. That humans would even need such a law shows how broken we were and how much we needed a savior. What are your thoughts on old testament laws?
Scholar
#8 Old 15th Sep 2015 at 6:00 AM
I read somewhere that The Code of Hammurabi is a Horizontal (man to man) set of laws whereas when Moses wrote the laws it was Vertical (God to humanity) as well as between people.

Leviticus 19:19 "'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" that I don't understand, even for the time and context. Why would it be such a problem?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 5:58 PM
Sometimes laws were more than just similar, 'an eye for an eye' being just one example of a law that was exactly the same. A lot of the wisdom poetry (Proverbs and Psalms) were the same as well. So those laws didn't really set the Jews apart from other civilizations. That is why laws like 'don't mix different materials together in a garment', 'don't eat animals with blood still in them', and 'don't work on the seventh day' were important to set the Jews apart from the other civilizations. God wanted them to be different, to have a unique culture that stood out from the rest. The more like their neighbors they were, the more temptation there was to intermarry with other cultures and worship idols.
Scholar
#10 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 4:08 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, I knew that because of how the Seventh day is holy due to God resting on the 7th day after working the first six days.
Also not eating the blood was because without it our hearts would be circulating around air not oxygen filled blood, meaning we would be dead. So it was a sign of respect for the dead creature, and by holding up that law we also would respect God.

I think that while the Laws were meant for the Hebrews, many of them can be good for us to follow. not so much the circumcision because that was the covenant for Hebrews only. as Paul(?) later talked about that Gentiles are not required to have circumcision.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 6:24 AM
The laws, such as not eating shellfish and not wearing fabric blends, were a demonstration. Back then, the Jews asked God how to get to Heaven, and so He provided them with all those laws. He was telling them that it was impossible to get to Heaven by man's works alone, and that they should just trust Him, but, given how humans are, they tried anyway.

After Jesus' sacrifice, such laws were no longer needed, hence why we can eat everything and wear all kinds of blends! (Which is good news, because I LOVE shrimp!)

Does that help, too?
Scholar
#12 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 9:03 AM
Yes it does, thank you.