Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 6:47 PM
Default 'lowering' mirror reflections?
Is it possible to kind of lower the reflection of mirrors? I would like to get an effect of of a high shine material, but no reflection really.
Further, ist it also possible to colour a mirror?

Thank you in advance
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 6:55 PM
Many of the Maxis objects do use material definitions and textures to make them appear shiny and reflective even though their really aren't. So, rather than using the actual mirror effect, you could copy these features from existing objects to get the desired effect. If you take a look at the material definition of the default texture for the expensive fridge, for example, you can see that it refers to a texture called reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube, which is the same one many other shiny objects use. If you copy that effect to another object, you will also have to copy all the lines that start with stdMatEnvCube... into the material definition of the subset in your object you want to appear similar.

It should be possible to color a mirror on a cloned object, but I don't think you can just recolor a Maxis mirror through a normal recolor process. Numenor has made a recolorable version of one of the standing Maxis mirrors.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:13 PM
I thought about using the usual way of creating reflections first, but I think it would be a much nicer effect to have a 'real' reflection, just like those shiny Floors from Teko, only for walls.

Anyway, this seems to be a very complicated option - too complicated for me at least, so I guess I'll stick to the traditional way.

Thanks for your help!