Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 4:15 PM
Default TS2 and Windows 10 thoughts
I am really going to buy a new computer.. a gaming laptop... to play the game I love most TS2!
But I heard so much about Win 10 and TS2 I got so confused!
There are really so many problems?
Will I be able to make custom hood (empty or clean templates)?
is true that the Windows 10 always restore the graphic rules each time the game load?
Who is playing on windows 10 can you list some personal pros and cons about it?

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 6:50 PM
Well, I had TS2 installed when I converted to Win10 - not quite the same thing - but I've had no problems whatsoever. I did have to update my graphicrules file when I changed my video card but that's to be expected. I think this is one of those things where you hear about the bad stuff because people complain about it but for the people it works for, you don't hear anything because we don't have anything to say. So be wary of those complaints about problems - I'm not saying that they're wrong or anything but I suspect the reality is more mixed and some people have difficulties and some don't. Quite a lot of people, as far as I can tell anyway, run TS2 with Win10 just fine and there are fixes for the most commonly reported problems. The other thing you can do is try and get the Ultimate Collection from EA and run it from Origin.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 7:05 PM
I use the Ultimate Collection and Windows 10. (Tips linked in my signature). I do not run it from Origin, though, but from a shortcut on my desktop - it is not necessary to run it through Origin after the first time.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 7:24 PM
I've also got UC and Windows 10, and I found changing the graphics to work on newer video cards to be the same process as on my previous computer - update the files and leave them. I only had an issue when I used "repair game" to fix the game through Origin - it will overwrote files I'd changed in the program files as it saw them as having been altered. I now keep backups of my graphic rules and any templates I'm using instead of the ones that shipped with the game so I can replace them after repairing if I have to repair again.

The biggest problem I had with the game after switching to windows 10 was lag, especially when going through the catalogs. It turned out to be a problem with Securom; it's incompatible with Windows 10. I replaced the .exe with a no-cd version and removed securom (there's instructions over at Leefish), and my game currently runs much faster than it had on my other computer. I keep a backup of that exe, too, in case of need to repair.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 7:31 PM
I had a few problems trying to install it - I use the discs - but googling my issues always had some sort of fix and I managed it once I got answers. Otherwise it runs the same as it did on my Windows 7 laptop (albeit faster, probably because this laptop is better than my last one in specs) and I've never had problems.

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 7:54 PM
I have the UC on Windows 10 and all of the problems I had were the same I had on windows 8 before I updated it on the same laptop (weird neighborhood grass textures, square shadows, etc..), which were probably caused by the graphics card and not Windows, and all of them could be fixed by mods. Other than that the game runs fine without any problems. My game never restored the graphic rules before.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 8:03 PM
I want to buy this one:
Acer Aspire VN7-792G (17.30", Full HD, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 500 SSD, 1000HDD)
any thought about?

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 4:49 PM
You can buy the new laptop and install Windows 7 on it. You just need a Windows 7 installation CD or a bootable flashdrive with Windows 7 on it
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 8:58 PM
I had to update my graphic card because it was being glitchy with the graphics (was kind of boxy) and it works better now. I think Windows 10 is great for Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2017 at 5:34 PM
I could not get the discs to install so I use UC, and it works perfectly fine. The only thing which doesn't work is AnyGameStarter. You can do empty templates, custom hoods, etc.

I would be interested to know about the workarounds for disc installation, though, because I have some families still stuck in limbo in an old AGS world I don't want to upgrade to the full game!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I would be interested to know about the workarounds for disc installation, though, because I have some families still stuck in limbo in an old AGS world I don't want to upgrade to the full game!

I use discs, but I really can't remember how I solved my problem as it's been a while since I last installed my game (which was when Windows 10 came out), and I really haven't needed to re-install it so far.

I *believe* in the end I used this tutorial video and the comments below it to get around my problem, which was the TS2upd.exe error when installing expansions. My memory is vague though so I probably wouldn't trust me on that one. ^_^; Browsing around I found this tutorial video and people linking to this for the error that I got whilst I was trying to install the expansions back then, which will probably be more helpful to you than my "I think I did it like this."

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)