Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 4:08 AM Last edited by theapoo : 29th Aug 2015 at 2:43 AM.
Default Help, please! Why does my edited premade world have gameplay bugs?
Hello everyone,

My game runs well, but I have noticed several bugs that only happen when I reload my game. I have googled about it a lot but no one else seems to be having these issues. I'm at a loss for how to fix them or what may be causing them. I have bugs like:
  • If I save and quit the game with a group serving container of food in the fridge, then when I reload the game the individual servings inside the group dish will be spoiled.
  • If I save, quit, and reload the game after a prom is annouced, then when I reload the game the prom will not work properly.
  • Sometimes when I reload the game, the pregnancies of townies have been paused and I have to use Pregnancy Progress Controller to resume their pregnancies.
  • If I save, quit, and reload the game after a sim throws a party, then when I reload the game no one will show up to the party. AND the game won't let me throw another party.
  • This one is the most annoying. If my Sim finishes writing a book, and I reload the game, then they will not get their book royalties for that book on Sundays at noon. It makes it much harder to progress in the Writer career, which relies on royalties to progress.

None of these bugs happen if I leave my game running, but obviously I can't leave my game running forever. The fact that no one else seems to have these issues makes me thing that maybe if I change something I can fix them. Something is happening on game restart. Please, any ideas?

EDIT: I have finished my testing and the cause of my problems is my edited premade world itself. If I open an unedited Sunset Valley, food does not spoil in the fridge when I reload the game, even with all mods and custom content installed. When I did a factory reset and installed my edited world in a fresh game, with nothing else in it, the food spoiled. I have no idea why my world has these problems.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 5:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Have you tested this on a clean game?

For the longest time I was sure a mod wasn't causing the issues, because even with only NRaas mods I had the issues. But you know what? Now I think a mod is causing the issue. I renamed My Sims 3 folder in My Documents to Sims 3 backup and opened a fresh game. I had a sim cook a group meal and put it in the fridge. Then I saved, quit and reloaded the game. I had the same sim go back to the fridge to get a plate and it wasn't spoiled!

I will slowly add my mods back in and see what happens.

I also usually play a custom world, made from an EA world imported into CAW. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 12:56 AM Last edited by theapoo : 29th Aug 2015 at 2:44 AM.
Okay.

I have been doing extensive testing all day today, and my results are not what I expected. I decided that there are four possible causes of my game bugs:

1. mods
2. custom content
3. the save game
4. the world itself (I am playing a version of Sunset Valley that I edited in CAW, and I don't know if that caused problems).

I first tested using not my edited Sunset Valley, but the vanilla Sunset Valley that shipped with the game. In that world, I found that food did not immediately spoil in the fridge, regardless of whether my mods were in there or not. So I determined that mods were not the cause of the problem in my save game.

Next I experimented with an earlier version of my edited world. I found that with or without mods, I had the food spoilage issue. Next, I disabled my custom content. I still had the food spoilage issue. Then, I tested it with a new game, to see if the save game was the issue. I STILL had the food spoilage issue.

Now I am in the process of testing whether the world itself is the issue.

EDIT: Finished testing. Changed first post.
Alchemist
#5 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 5:50 AM
Hmm, interesting troubleshooting. Perhaps editing a premade world in CAW may ruin the world itself in some ways. It's probably the danger of editing premade worlds in CAW in general, or maybe it was done improperly?

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#6 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 7:19 AM
Technically, CAW is (and will forever be) in Beta and "Things Change (tm)". I suspect the edit is corrupted somehow. If it isn't too complicated of an edit, try re-doing it and see how it works out. It may also be that your CAW is corrupted, and any edits you make will be borkinated somehow. Part of the problem is that with EA's $h***y code, and the differences between every computer, small blips in the code affect everyone differently.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 5:08 PM
I think you guys are right. I was thinking about my edited world last night, and I remembered that a long time ago, I didn't actually import EA's Sunset Valley into CAW--I imported an edited save game into CAW. I had forgotten that I had done that because that was years ago. I think therein lies the problem--I was editing a save game.

I need to rant.

*rant is beginning*/

So basically this means that I have to scrap my edited world and start all over. But I worked on that world for so long! I spent many months working on that world. I added and recolored and smoothed road sections. I painted and blended the terrain. I carved mountains and hills, and painted them. I put all the spawners exactly where I wanted them. And when I finished, my world wasn't perfect, but it was beautiful. But now for what?! I did all that for nothing, because my world is corrupted, and it has a number of glitches that are specific to it. How many more glitches does it have that I haven't discovered yet? So now I have to start all over. By this point I am scared of even importing the default EA Sunset Valley into CAW. But if I don't do that, I will have to start with the Sunset Valley Lite that comes with CAW. Have you seen that thing? It isn't lite, it's almost nonexistent! The terrain is sculpted and painted and the roads are in place but that's it. No spawners, no world objects, no lots, no effects, no nothing.

*rant over*/
Scholar
#8 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 9:40 PM
But now for what?! I did all that for nothing,

Not for nothing. All that time spent developed your skills and your sense of what you want, so this time it will be easier, it will take less time, and you will be more effective at it. Good luck and have fun!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 10:33 AM
@theapoo- The only thing I can think of to try is to clean the global layer of the world. I'm thinking that these glitches could be caused by inititalisations that occurred in the savegame files you used to make the world. Bear in mind that if you do this you should backup first, as this will affect any sims you added in CAW, as well as houseboats and probably a whole load of stuff in later EPs that I've never even played.
Link here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=473791
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@theapoo- The only thing I can think of to try is to clean the global layer of the world. I'm thinking that these glitches could be caused by inititalisations that occurred in the savegame files you used to make the world. Bear in mind that if you do this you should backup first, as this will affect any sims you added in CAW, as well as houseboats and probably a whole load of stuff in later EPs that I've never even played.
Link here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=473791

Thanks for responding! I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

EDIT: What are initializations? And you can add sims in CAW? I didn't know that.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 11:45 AM
By initialisations I was meaning things like cooked meals, scenarios that are started, written books etc. It could be that by importing your savegame to CAW all of these things are added to the global layer which is causing problems with your ongoing game. I'm really only guessing here, but I know from trying this myself that bizarre things get added to this layer when play testing (such as knubb pieces, collectibles etc.,) so it would be a good thing to try to solve your problem. As long as you make a safe copy of everything before you start, you have nothing to lose.

This is a tutorial for adding sims in CAW:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ting_CAW_Worlds
If you ever open one of the EA worlds in CAW, you will see that the sims reside on the Global layer, so this is why I warned you about these!