Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2012 at 9:06 PM
Default Help Caw Routing Issue
Hi. I have checked the forum and can't find a solution to my problems. Every world I have built I seem to run into the same issues with routing

1. Sometimes when I place a lot, a huge chuck of my world will become unroutable. If I move the lot a couple of squares over, the unroutable chunk will disappear. I have checked the wireframe and there is nothing underneath and I can't find anything that would cause this.

2. This may be linked, but I also get routing node "bunches", basically there will be several routing lines overlapping on one node

I started a new tiny flat world and I am getting the same issues. There is only 1 layer on this and all I have placed is a few lots. Here are a few screenshots of the bunched nodes but I can't recreate the unroutable issue (typical) If anyone can help I wopuld be extremely grateful as I have scrapped 4 worlds due to this.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd May 2012 at 4:12 AM
It would probably be easier for someone to help if you included screenshots showing the problems you're having...

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd May 2012 at 5:54 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd May 2012 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Sinkala : 2nd May 2012 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Image added
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
is what you're describing anything like this?
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=474678

Thanks , that's the same issue and that's the only solution I've found. I was hoping there was another solution as I have to completely re-organize my town layout.

Poisonfrog, I thought I had uploaded an image of the bunched routing lines but it hasn't uploaded. I will try again
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd May 2012 at 7:34 PM
Does it still happen if you flatten the area completely before placing lots? I'm curious as to why this is happening, I've seen a few people report this lately.

Also, are your lots all on the same layer? Perhaps you could upload the CAW files for me to take a look at, I'd be interested to see if we can find a better solution than just deleting some lots.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd May 2012 at 7:39 PM Last edited by Sinkala : 2nd May 2012 at 8:10 PM. Reason: updated
Does it still happen if you flatten the area completely before placing lots? I'm curious as to why this is happening, I've seen a few people report this lately.

Also, are your lots all on the same layer? Perhaps you could upload the CAW files for me to take a look at, I'd be interested to see if we can find a better solution than just deleting some lots.

I removed the problem lot on the world I was working on and rebuilt the routing, but yesterday it was happening on a completely new world (it was a tiny flat world) - no sculpting or routing paint. I will have another try now and see if it happens again.

I can't recreate the unroutable chunk problem but here is a better example of the bunched routing lines
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd May 2012 at 10:18 PM
Could you post a screenshot of the bunched routing, please?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd May 2012 at 1:49 AM Last edited by SharaRose : 3rd May 2012 at 2:26 AM.
It's an odd error, as though the system simply decides math is hard and gives up. Here are a couple new oddities I had last week. I was working on the opposite side of the world when these happened. With no changes in the terrain or routing paint anywhere nearby, the routing went haywire.

Luckily, I caught the error before too many changes had been made, and only had to go back two saves to find a file with nice smooth routing around the road. It definitely helps to make a new save every time. Right now, I have around 400 versions of a larger world on a backup disk... bit extreme?

Weird, I know. This was the first time I had this happen outside flat blocks of roads. There is only one road in this world, and only one lot anywhere near the error.

As an aside, sometimes dropping a tree or extra lot into broken routing also fixes the issue, though I'd be hesitant to continue developing a world based on that sort of fix in case it didn't stick for the long term.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd May 2012 at 3:13 AM
That looks normal to me; you should bear in mind that when there are more obstacles to the route (trees, for example), the resolution of the routing 'mesh' has to be increased.

Compare this:

Which is routing across an empty hill, to this:

Which is routing around trees and lots.

You can see in this picture that the routing 'mesh' increases in complexity as it nears lots and roads:

So both of your images look fine; the only thing I can see which is a little strange is the node in image one which has only one connection, and the route line in image two which cuts diagonally across the curve of the road. However, this is most likely just a route described across the shortest pedestrian distance, and unless it proves problematic in testing I wouldn't be concerned.

This thread provides good information about what is acceptable and what should be avoided:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=439329
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 3rd May 2012 at 3:29 AM
Would a possible way to avoid this be to place the lots before the roads?

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd May 2012 at 6:49 AM
That looks normal to me; you should bear in mind that when there are more obstacles to the route (trees, for example), the resolution of the routing 'mesh' has to be increased.

Compare this:
[snip]

So both of your images look fine; the only thing I can see which is a little strange is the node in image one which has only one connection, and the route line in image two which cuts diagonally across the curve of the road. However, this is most likely just a route described across the shortest pedestrian distance, and unless it proves problematic in testing I wouldn't be concerned.

This thread provides good information about what is acceptable and what should be avoided:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=439329
I'm not sure about that... what clued me in that something might be amiss was a sudden lag to the world. It wasn't horrendous, but it was definitely choppier than it had been in any previous export. Once I eliminated those odd routing lines so everything connected to the nearest nodes again, the lag disappeared entirely.

The odd lines in my images aren't severe compared to others. However, between the lag, some oddly unpredictable behavior when I tried to reconnect everything, and the fact that the routing changed when I hadn't been working on that part of the world at all, I'd rather avoid the odd spots that don't connect to anything, or to the nearest nodes. Far-reaching lines work fine, but lines crossing other lines without landing on common nodes seems to cause lag.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd May 2012 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Sinkala : 3rd May 2012 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Uploaded file
Could you post a screenshot of the bunched routing, please?

Sorry simsample, I keep getting a server error when trying to upload the image. I managed to recreate the unroutable chunk issue too on a flat world.

Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Lot World.7z (1.98 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th May 2012 at 6:24 AM
Your images are 0bytes and the world is too big to upload here, I expect, even when zipped up. You should upload the zipped world (with the Lots and Layers subfolders, too) to Mediafire or somesuch.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2012 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Your images are 0bytes and the world is too big to upload here, I expect, even when zipped up. You should upload the zipped world (with the Lots and Layers subfolders, too) to Mediafire or somesuch.

Thanks, I think my PC is part of Skynet as the uploads are working fine today
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Lot World.zip (2.51 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th May 2012 at 1:07 PM
View in Wireframe mode. Do you see the spline of the road in Cyan? That appears to go under the terrain for some reason. And messed up those 2 Lots that has routing attached to it.

Also, the layers as shown on your image does not transfer with the .world file. Which means there is something wrong with those Lots/Layers upon Saving.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2012 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
View in Wireframe mode. Do you see the spline of the road in Cyan? That appears to go under the terrain for some reason. And messed up those 2 Lots that has routing attached to it.

Also, the layers as shown on your image does not transfer with the .world file. Which means there is something wrong with those Lots/Layers upon Saving.

Thanks a lot Ellacharm. I do tend to get a lot of world save fails from eig due to lots. I usually just delet the lots. I'll have a play around a bit more to see if I can figure out what's causing the problems with the lots.

I do have a lot of custom textures and unlocked items in CAW (Twinbrook and LL items), do you think these are likely to cause an issue?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 7th May 2012 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sinkala
I do have a lot of custom textures and unlocked items in CAW (Twinbrook and LL items), do you think these are likely to cause an issue?

Shouldn't be a problem unless the creator has cloned the whole item, instead of just the OBJD. To test, you can try your game without the unlocked items and see if it behaves better.