Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 7:08 AM
Default How to Earn $100,000?
Consort Capp has this LTW, and I don't know how to achieve it. Capp Manor has a net worth of $181,079; Consort's funds are at present $68,969. He has reached the top of his career, Business Tycoon, earning $2,100 every working day. He is now 58 years old, and I don't know whether he will make it before the Grim Reaper comes for him. Does anyone know how I can find out how much he has earned during his career? Is there some sort of counter available?

What counts as 'earning'? Does it include buying and selling property? If he digs up a treasure chest worth $5000, would that count towards his earnings? If his grandchildren return from college, bringing $20,000 each, will that achieve his LTW? If I cheat and give him a motherlode, will that do it? I would welcome any intelligent guesses.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 7:16 AM
Digging, all items count, easel paintings, crafting and sell from inventory, aspirations money tree. He actually has to earn it himself and no, motherlode doesn't count. Not sure what else. Would be easier to achieve if on a hobby or community lot for digging and crafting.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 7:58 AM
You should be able to find the money-earned milestones in his memories. He could earn money running a business, although when I recently checked the memories of one of my Sims with the same LTW, the cash perks she redeemed for ranking up her businesses didn't count, but I'm sure the money from normal business operations does. Another good money maker I recently discovered is the FreeTime restorable car - it costs §800 and goes for well over §5,000 if you sell it immediately after fixing it up.

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
You should be able to find the money-earned milestones in his memories. He could earn money running a business, although when I recently checked the memories of one of my Sims with the same LTW, the cash perks she redeemed for ranking up her businesses didn't count, but I'm sure the money from normal business operations does. Another good money maker I recently discovered is the FreeTime restorable car - it costs §800 and goes for well over §5,000 if you sell it immediately after fixing it up.

I can't see Consort Capp restoring a car.

Somebody here reckoned she achieved the LTW in one day by buying a business, tidying it up, and re-selling at an enormous profit. I wondered which business that could be? I did not download the provided shopping district because I don't like the sims who come with it. Instead, I created a shopping district called Brighton, on the Twikkii template so I could build a seaside lot for my sim children to enjoy. I decorated it with all the OFB lots provided in the Lots and Houses bin. I suppose Consort could buy one of those?
Scholar
#5 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 10:59 AM
If your Sim has no money memories for any reason, or you'd like something more precise, you can use Squinge's Grilled Cheese and Date Counter (there is a version updated 5 years ago on MTS2) or the more-recently updated Cyjon's Debugger (this also requires Cyjon's Smarter EP Check, and gives a few extra functions). Both provide information on amount of money a Sim has earned, along with a variety of other items needed to track exact progress to life time wants. (I believe Cyjon's has more data, and it is the one I use in my own game).
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ieta_cassiopeia
If your Sim has no money memories for any reason, or you'd like something more precise, you can use Squinge's Grilled Cheese and Date Counter (there is a version updated 5 years ago on MTS2) or the more-recently updated Cyjon's Debugger (this also requires Cyjon's Smarter EP Check, and gives a few extra functions). Both provide information on amount of money a Sim has earned, along with a variety of other items needed to track exact progress to life time wants. (I believe Cyjon's has more data, and it is the one I use in my own game).

Thanks. I've downloaded Squinge's mod.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 1:20 PM
Buying and selling property does count as earning money. (At least it does in my game!) It's a bit cheaty because the money you get for selling property counts as income, even if you sell it at a loss. (i.e. If you buy a business for §52,000 and sell it for §50,000, you get an "Earned §50,000" memory.)

In New Desconia the founders lent Joel Ferguson some money so he could buy a business, make some improvements to it, and sell it back to the community. (The real reason was to save the settings on some hacked objects, so that I wouldn't have to set them every time I sent Sims to the lot.) As a result he got "Earned §10,000", "Earned §25,000" and "Earned §50,000" memories all at once. Even though he sold the lot for less than he paid for it.

My Sims would be very interested in any suggestions for really earning money, because in truth most of them are quite poor.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 3:26 PM
A real estate business does seem a good idea, but I'm wondering how it works in practice in a fairly poor Sims community. Please excuse my ignorance, but I am still quite a newbie when it comes to OFB. Presumably you need a fair bit of working capital to get started, since the idea is to buy up business lots and try to sell them on at a profit. I think I know that you run a real estate business by displaying the title deeds for properties you've bought, and marking them for sale. Can you do that as a home-run business? Do you need a cash register to take the money from buyers? Presumably they always pay cash, handing over wads of Simoleons.

And what about the buyers themselves? Veronaville isn't teeming with Sims with thousands of Simoleons on their pockets? Will Sims with §47 spending money to their name come in and buy a §73,000 business? And, if they do, what do I do then? Can townies buy businesses? And, again, if they do, do I have to make them playable so they can run the business, or sell it on?

Can you actually run a business at the same the as offering it for sale? Can Sims visit businesses that are being offered for sale. And what happens to employees, when a business is sold?

Sorry for all the questions! But there seem to be so many things that I need to know before starting a real estate business. The most likely candidate to actually start one is none other than my Consort Capp.-- he's the only Sim who has the working capital to start one. Thanks to him being the only Sim in my game who owns a goldmine. Alone amongst my Sims, he gets to use Motherlode whenever he needs any money.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 3:49 PM
I have all the same questions AndrewGloria has. I've never ran a real estate business - it seems exciting, but only non-playables would be able to afford it. Barely any of my sims can afford to own a business.

The only sim I've ever tried to get up to $100,000 for their lifetime wish was Francis J. Worthington III. Through university he painted as a way of making money, as well as going to a job (I think inteen gives that option, I don't think it's possible in a vanilla game) and of course had to make deans list every single time. In his last year, he purchased a very small community lot, although he doesn't make much money off it. He's about half-way there, and he's about between a quarter and half way through the adult life stage, so I'm hoping he'll manage it, although I think altogether university life is about the same amount of time as the adult life stage (I could be wrong, I play 24 hour semesters now) so I'm worried he won't.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
A real estate business does seem a good idea, but I'm wondering how it works in practice in a fairly poor Sims community.

The townies have §20000 if you peek in SimPE, but their wallets are magically refilled if they spend money.

Also You can place small empty lots, such as Aelflaed's 1x1 community lots and sell them. They will not be expensive.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Theorist
#13 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 6:34 PM Last edited by Duine : 16th Jan 2016 at 6:55 PM.
The OFB neighborhood was a problem with their Bakery, something to do with the food not being sell-able. This may, or may not have been due to the fact it corrupted due to packaging it that way. If you create a fake bakery, with stocked food, will this business work for a playable - new owner? Or, is it best to not stock shelves prior to selling?

Let's say a townie buys a business, empty or not, what happens to that lot after that? Can it be sold again, will it work as a community lot to visit? Will it cause corruption if sold again? In the case of townie purchases, I would set up an empty sub-hood and place 'fake' businesses just to sell, but never use them just to be safe.

Selling drive-able cars is mentioned as being a VBT if added to inventory, that might not be a good idea for a business. I have the mod to not add purchases to a sims inventory and found that it does add to some sims. So far my playables have not had any added, but Ivy Kupor, for example, did.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 6:38 PM
I've managed this a couple of times by having my sims switch up jobs. The first time is the hardest, but once they've got a lot of skills and friends, they can pretty much walk into a new job and come home with promotions every day and then when they get to the point where they have more days off than days at work, just find a new job. But for elders, you will probably need the mod that allows them to get adult jobs.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 6:40 PM
I believe the reason the Bluewater Village food is unsellable is because of the neighborhood reset the neighborhood undergoes when added to a main hood, Duine. The Jocque bakery will work fine if you delete all the food that's in it and restock it normally.

Music2ologist, money earned on investments and financial consulting counts as income, so if you have Freetime get him those perks ASAP. And you can always feed him elixir to keep him alive long enough to earn the $100K.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#16 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 6:57 PM
Ok, that's why I asked about stocking food before selling, didn't remember exactly what was the reason for it not working.

Test Subject
#18 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 8:08 PM
Chance cards may give you some bonus, usually above 50 000
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 8:32 AM
If he has gained enough aspiration points for the fortune ones, he can give financial counselling on a pc (3rd one) and invest money (4th one). You don't control the investments, you will just find out what he makes or loses, but that can be a lot of money.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 3:31 PM
The investment gains are based on the total value of the household (I believe), so they can indeed be considerable. Also, if you're not using Community Lot Time, it's possible to get investment results more than once in a day. Junior Mann took his wife on a date in the afternoon, and they made about $2000 while eating dinner; then they returned home and got about $4000 more!

You can also lose money this way, and those are unusually large amounts in my experience; but losses/money spent don't count against the total earned, from the point of view of this LTW there's no negative effect in this perk.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#21 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 3:17 AM
I'm trying out the realtor aspect of business. Added a sub-hood to my test hood, moved in a small family so the mom could try it out. Have to play a bit while testing. Anyway, the mom goes and drops dead so the teen girl took over on the business. I had added about 10 totally empty community lots with no decor at all, except the business sign. She bought one of them and headed to the business to fix it up after earning some money. The odd thing is the buildings, all onn 1x1 lots with one story, but a few had two stories. The two stories were cheaper at $3652. while the one story was $5098.. The only thing I could figure out was no stairs making the 2nd floor obsolete. She saved and went home, set the sell price at $20,000., I think it was valued at around $13,000. After she sets up a few of the smaller ones, she'll open the home business and attempt to sell them.

Another thing that happened is her 2 child age sisters, one who was selling lemonade and the other went to harvest the lemon tree. She picked the lemons and there weren't any. I looked in the other's inventory, no lemons. Looked in the teen's and she not only had the lemons but a certificate for the 1st simoleon earned. Does this mean the lemonade stand can be considered part of a home business, even though the business had not been opened yet? Who should keep the 1st simoleon certificate, the business holder or the girl actually selling lemonade?

Inventor
#22 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 11:31 AM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 19th Jan 2016 at 9:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
Another good money maker I recently discovered is the FreeTime restorable car - it costs §800 and goes for well over §5,000 if you sell it immediately after fixing it up.

It's like you read my mind! .

Quote: Originally posted by zdivek
Chance cards may give you some bonus, usually above 50 000

I wouldn't say "usually". The big rewards from Chance Cards are only for the higher-ranking careers on the Career Track. If you're, say, in the third career for your Track, your Chance Card successes aren't going to give you anything near 50,000 Simoleons.

Even then, as the OP said, Consort Capp has reached the top rank of the Business track. Bearing in mind that each Chance Card can only come up once for however long your Sim works at that job, the Business Tycoon card won't give you more than 40,000 (if you choose to buy the trucks instead of building the seaport). Unfortunately for Consort, he's an Elder by this point, so he might be limited to the far-from-lucrative Elder Career Tracks if he changes careers now, which means no more Chance Cards. So it looks like music2ologist won't be able to count on Chance Cards for fulfilling Consort's LTW before his time on SimEarth is up.