Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 12:41 PM
Default Merging Sims into different households (using mods that allows more than 8 sims)
I use Boiling oils Unlimited sims and edited the UserStartup file so I can merge sims into households from the neighborhood view. BUT even If I can play with a ridiculous amount of sims in one household, I rather not doing that, because I dont like to watch over too many sims at the same time (not to mention, they can be a bit "stupid" when you dont ) Also, I dont find merging random "roomates" or playing childless/elder couples interesting (for my own preference), so usually Ive only closely related sims or neweeds living together. But each time Ive a household that are very big, I often get these thoughts: Where to move them, With who and How sims should I move together. I probably a bit silly for overthinking about this kind of stuff but I get easily bored with the game if I dont. When moving out sims or merging sims with other households,do you also make decisions about this kind of stuff?

Often with my threads, I give an example:
My hood is based on a society where arranged marriage at a young age and heirs having more than one spouse/lover are common and there is a distinct difference between the poor and the rich, like women from a higher status may not work nor live alone and the oldest son will inherit the majority of his parents fortune and must produce a bilogical child (a boy). 99% of my sims have at least 1 biological child, so when Ive too many girls, they might "fight" over the same guy. Now, I don't have that many sims to deal with fortunetly, but when the 4th generation is grown up, I might, and there're plently of single mothers in my game.

One of my wealthier families are in this situation where I try to split up 13 sims into at least two households which consist of an elder parents and three adult children, 1 girl and 2 boy. Each had two children each while the girl was a "victim" of being mistress to another wealthy family but couldnt fit into that household (a royal family where I already have 10 sims in same household, but it could just be an woman who had an love affair with a married guy.).
Usually Ive the successor live with the parents who will inherit the money (their funds, including the house is 200-300K worth, Sims who move may only take enough to buy a house while the rest will stay with the sucessor). But right now I keep debating whether its better to move the parents to live with the daughter or have the daughter live with another close relative instead.

Like in this example, what decision do you usually make when deciding who will move out and who will stay with their parents?
(Hmmm... I cant clearly summarize what I want to type, thats for sure. Sorry if the post is long. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 2:23 PM
Are you playing with some kind of aging mod or something, it is very hard to even have 3 gen in the same household and the 3rd gen when they hit teenhood the grand parents start dying off.

I try to keep the family all together because I like the least amount of households to play, but if I have to move anyone out it would be the 2nd son and the daughter and there families that would go.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 2:51 PM
Marka89. I used Simbolical's Ageicon mod where I can alter the sims lifespan SimPE myself and where I removed 20% from the vanilla age (removed some of the child and teen, plus using a 48h semester mod and 36hour pregnancy), so it wasnt much shorter than if you play vanilla lifespans. But Ive an tendency to use simblender or Insim plus a object that change the seasons to quickly go through the rotations which are five days, by aging them up and adding skills/relationships. Also, I use teenwoohoo so my sims get married off earlier, which is usually in their college years (18-25 years old in human age), so the grandparents are rather young.

Because it only take a few real life days to get through a generation when skipping their rotation, Ive extended their lifespan with double, (4 days infants, 6 days toddler, 12 child, 12 teen, 8 YA, 72 Adult and normal Elder) so hopefully it will take alot longer to get to 5th. The 4th generation are children/young teens. The grandparents, 2nd gen have just reached elder (who were middleaged in the Parties with kid thread).

I rather play with a few more households than 10+ sims in one family. The example, 13 is stretching it a little. Right now Ive 30 households, but the next genertion, I will have 40-50 unless I plan some death stories.....and Ive reduced the amount of kids/couple, most had 2 kids. Those with multiple lovers had several and only a few had six, but this kind of thing adds up so easily...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 3:07 PM
College friends make excellent adult-life housemates. I currently have two married pairs of recent graduates sharing a house and expenses because neither of them could quite afford their pregnancies. This shouldn't have resulted in an oversized household, but there were three pregnancies, and both one of the normal ones and the abduction one resulted in twins, so...they're sharing labor as well as space and expenses. Sorority sisters and frat brothers may well live communally for a time after graduation, too - it's basically an extension of the original relationship. And I've got a band living communally, four closely-related musicians and two SOs, with probably some kids coming along eventually.

This sort of thing seems perfectly natural and organic to me, and is far more common IRL than the traditional extended family. When deciding who lives with whom among blood relatives, the considerations are similar: Who needs financial help? Who is most likely to want to take over the family business? Which kid is the one who would naturally be inclined to take on the job of supporting the Old Folks? Is there a central household which all members would regard as the primary home, the place where "when you have to go there, they have to take you in"? The factors are too numerous and too individualized to render down to a formula.

In the wake of the Great Satellite Fall in Drama Acres, a lot of plans got disrupted, and a lot of disputes got settled. Petra Ottomas wanted to live with her lover Edward Beare, but as he was the only boy and far and away the most stable and conscientious of his parents' six children, his parents Kevin and Heather have always taken it for granted that he'd move back in with them to their rambling inconvenient downtown house where half his little sisters are still growing up - and Petra was not down with that. Living in an apartment over Edward's robotics business was more what she had in mind. So she was living in an apartment in Drama Acres proper when Edward graduated - and as soon as he moved back home the satellites destroyed it and the whole kit and kaboodle showed up at her house because moving in with Edward's big sister would've involved dragging the old folks up a steep hill and they were just too tired. So now they're all living together, but Petra picked out the house. It's hers, not theirs, and she is not about to live under her mother-in-law's thumb. Meanwhile, the disaster has also driven a serial dater and lifelong lone commitophobe to move in(along with her cat) with her brother, his husband, their adopted son, and their daughter-in-law (and their cat) - can Aunt Leslie share a house with anyone after all these years? I've got a father who moved out to live with his mistress after his wife died, leaving his daughter in possession of the family home, moving back in with her along with his mistress and their twin kids, on the morning she gave birth to his first grandchild; I've got the newlywed Miguelito and Minerva Casa suddenly sharing space with Miguelito's parents, big brother, and sister-in-law; I've got emergency messes all over that neighborhood.

In less trying times, the Drama Acres habit is for the child who graduates closest to the time the parents turn elder to move in and take over as Head of Household while the parents retire and enjoy their golden years living in the same house. Often there's an obvious Family Manager who is tempermentally suited to the job. But there's variations, and it is by no means a given that anyone will maintain the original Ruben household once Joshua and his Sally pass away. They may well downsize and move into a smaller house while all their kids lead their own lives.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 8:07 PM
Usually, all the kids move out of the house once they go to college. For rich or prominent sims, I have their appointed successor (usually the eldest, but in other cases, whoever is most competent or the favorite) move back in once they complete college, so if something unexpected happens, they can be on hand to inherit. For example, when Alexander Goth finishes college, he'll be moving back into Goth Manor, as he is the heir to the family name. For regular sims, each child establishes their own residence in adulthood. However, when a couple reaches elderhood, I choose one of the kids to move in with them so they can inheirt the house. Who I pick depends on the family's circumstances. For example, in the Grunt household, Tank was originally going to move back in with his dad once he hit elderhood so the house would pass to him, as both his dad's favorite and the heir to the Grunt legacy. However, when Buzz remarried to a much younger woman and had twins with her, things changed. Since Milania (the new wife) would probably outlive him, the house will go to her and then one of her children if they want it (of course, she might be generous and let Tank have the house after she dies, but who knows)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 9:32 PM
I don't like too many Sims in one house, so that influences who I merge or move into separate houses. For example: once two children who are close together in age graduate from college, I look at who has the closest relationship with the parents, and move that child back in with the parents and move the other one into their own house. (A common example is moving Mercutio Monty back into the Monty Ranch, and having Romeo/Juliette move into their own house. That is also influenced by the fact that Juliette doesn't have that great of a relationship with Patrizio and Isabella. I tend to have Mercutio marry Miranda Capp, and since she has the highest amount of nice points of the Capps and doesn't have a relationship with Parizio and Isabella a the beginning of Veronaville she usually can use her niceness to get into a good relationship with her husband's grandparents before they die.)

If Sims have a bunch of children that have a wide age range, I move the youngest back in with the parents and the older ones are moved into their own house to keep the number of Sims in the house down. (That is what I commonly do with Goneril and Albany Capp's children. Miranda usually moves in with Mercutio Monty after college, Hal and Desdemona move into their own house with their partners and Ariel moves back in to her parents house since she is the youngest to keep the number of Sims down (she also tends to have the best relationship with them.)

I look at relationship and how to keep the number of Sims down more than money.