Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 8:49 PM
Can't choose major or write term paper?
My Sim just joined University and I can't choose her major OR write her term paper! The option does not appear on the phone or computer!

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:23 PM
Is she actually showing as a student?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:31 PM
That's the sort of problem you get when you have hack conflicts, which calls for troubleshooting. There's a FAQ about this, under Game Help, but the first step is:

Back up your game.

Then, move your downloads folder someplace where the game can't find it. Start up game. Try again.

If the options return, the problem's in your downloads folder. Get out of the game, open up the Downloads folder, divide contents in half, put them back into your game, fire it up, and try again. No problem? This half of your downloads is innocent! Problem returns? The culprit's in there. Divide in half again, move half back out, test some more, in increasingly smaller increments, till you narrow it down to the one or two files that are creating the problem. Don't worry about how awful everything looks without our CC - you'll be quitting without saving, and anyway it'll all go back to normal when you put your back-up copy back in.

Tedious? Yes. But it doesn't take as long as you think it will. And if you know which files you added recently, or keep all your hacks in one handy folder (hacks being the most likely culprit), you may be able to shortcut it even more.I can't actually see the computer being used - is it a custom computer? Maybe it was made for base game and doesn't have University functions. (Unlikely since the phone's not working, either.) But you see the principle. Try with different sims, or on different lots; maybe you can get information that will help steer you more quickly to the right place. But it doesn't have to make sense. I've had clothes that crashed the game when the wearer tried to use the photo booth to take photos.

If that doesn't work, go to Help at the top of this screen and follow the steps in the FAQ. Do them if it's physically possible, don't just read them. If that still doesn't work, make a thread in the Game Help forum explaining what you tried, and what happened when you did.

Only you can troubleshoot your game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
That's the sort of problem you get when you have hack conflicts, which calls for troubleshooting. There's a FAQ about this, under Game Help, but the first step is:

Back up your game.

Then, move your downloads folder someplace where the game can't find it. Start up game. Try again.

If the options return, the problem's in your downloads folder. Get out of the game, open up the Downloads folder, divide contents in half, put them back into your game, fire it up, and try again. No problem? This half of your downloads is innocent! Problem returns? The culprit's in there. Divide in half again, move half back out, test some more, in increasingly smaller increments, till you narrow it down to the one or two files that are creating the problem. Don't worry about how awful everything looks without our CC - you'll be quitting without saving, and anyway it'll all go back to normal when you put your back-up copy back in.

Tedious? Yes. But it doesn't take as long as you think it will. And if you know which files you added recently, or keep all your hacks in one handy folder (hacks being the most likely culprit), you may be able to shortcut it even more.I can't actually see the computer being used - is it a custom computer? Maybe it was made for base game and doesn't have University functions. (Unlikely since the phone's not working, either.) But you see the principle. Try with different sims, or on different lots; maybe you can get information that will help steer you more quickly to the right place. But it doesn't have to make sense. I've had clothes that crashed the game when the wearer tried to use the photo booth to take photos.

If that doesn't work, go to Help at the top of this screen and follow the steps in the FAQ. Do them if it's physically possible, don't just read them. If that still doesn't work, make a thread in the Game Help forum explaining what you tried, and what happened when you did.

Only you can troubleshoot your game.

I'll just delete my downloads folder and uninstall + reinstall the game. IDC about any of my saves. I don't think I will even install any more CC for TS2. lol
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:09 PM
Nonononononononono! Uninstalling and reinstalling is much, much, much more work than the 50/50 and it doesn't solve anything that isn't due to bad installation, which is ALMOST NEVER the problem!

Seriously, this is not at all a smart thing to do. If you want to get rid of all your downloads and play CC free, and that solves the problem, fine - but uninstalling and reinstalling is a huge extra unnecessary step.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
My Sim just joined University and I can't choose her major OR write her term paper! The option does not appear on the phone or computer!

Is that the alienware computer? Wasn't there some issue with it at some point that had to be fixed?

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Scholar
#7 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:26 PM
You might want to try posting in the Help forum (http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=31)

Yes - get her to use another computer if possible, if doesn't work, try Peni's suggested method.
Never ever do a reinstall unless your game is a BFBVFS.

You might need the HCDU at:
http://www.simwardrobe.com/

You can find it under Sims 2 -> Programs, and it is the second one down. it does as it says on the tin, really.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:34 PM
If you do want to start over, don't reinstall. There's no reason to. Just remove the folder in your documents, it'll regenerate a new one when you open the game, and you can start fresh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:37 PM
Can I just add a few more no, no, noooes to the idea of Uninstalling and reinstalling. That will only fix problems in your installation files which is almost never the problem. That's like emptying a bookcase and putting all the books back again. An absolute waste of time. Most problems occur in the My Documents> EA Games>The Sims 2 folder. The one that contains your Downloads, saved Sims, neighbourhood folders, not your installation files on C drive.
Make a backup, remove your download folder, make a test hood if you don't have one (every sims 2 player should have a test hood.) Send a sim to uni and see what happens. Make sure you have also tried other computers.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#10 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:48 PM
If it is a custom pc, possibility is you just don't have all the options there because of how it's made.
If you also use a custom phone, maybe same thing.
But if you used items that came with the game, then I guess the posters above me are worth paying attention to how to solve it and what not to do.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 2:42 AM
Did you patch after each EP that you reinstalled and the 1 SP that needs a patch plus the patch for the base game if you have all in disk form.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Link Ninja
#12 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 3:09 AM
I know I can't write terms on some CC computers because they were made before or by people who didn't have Uni installed. I can't see the computer in your pic but try selling it if its custom and buying a computer that came with the game or expansion.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 5:06 PM
Yep most of my CC computers (Around The Sims is a big culprit) were never updated to have the Uni functions.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Alchemist
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:06 PM
Reinstalling is stupid, there is never a need for that since you can restore any game file much much easier. Why won't you just do a 50/50? Along the way you can clean up some CC, thats always what I do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 12:29 AM
I just uninstalled and reinstalled. I don't really care, because now I can finally do what I always wanted - do a game with barely any CC (0-10 items max).

And I recently found out my graphics card can't handle TS2 (or maybe my GC is just damaged..) anyways. This makes me so sad and I'm officially craving to play the game.. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a new laptop for Christmas, and even if I did, I don't think my parents would know which laptop has the better graphics card..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:13 AM
You don't need to uninstall and reinstall to have a game with very little CC, those are a separate set of folders. Make sure you put all your settings on low, especially shadows and reflections. That may help your computer cope with the UC.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:30 AM
I just can't stand having a lot of CC in my game. I can't really explain it, but all I know is I have OCD and I'm a perfectionist. So pretty much my mind screams,
yasdajhdasgdahsdya3sdvawbwy36qyv2egatsjdajsdladlfuasghaduasocasjasvca3a
when I have certain CC in my game. Wait- scratch that. My mind says-
y a s d a j h d a s g d a h s d y a 3 s d v a w b w y 3 6 q y v 2 e g a t s j d a j s d l a d l f u a s g h a d u a s o c a s j a s v c a 3 a.

Sorry. Perfectionist trait acting up again.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:36 AM
OP, I can only recommend the 50/50 method as it could be a hack conflict.

But I mainly posted because I wanted to tell you that your sim's face is absolutely gorgeous!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:54 AM
Also you can rename your files so instead of 4856jhuy84648696 you have Bacon_and_Eggs_Exnem Just an example from my own download folder.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 11:39 PM
Oh my, looks like we didn't scream "No! Don't do it!" loudly enough...

Again, as mentioned several times, uninstalling and reinstalling is only really necessary if the game installation files themselves are corrupted, which is very rare if you don't do any of the VBTs.

Got a game problem? Try this guide first. Guaranteed to fix 99% of game problems (or your money back! oh wait, there are no monetary costs).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa_4ever
I wanted to tell you that your sim's face is absolutely gorgeous!

Is that a joke? I mean- my settings were all on low (bad graphics card) so the sim looked a bit blurry, and she looks like most sims (default nose, mouth = ugly, etc.). It's a simself in her sleepwear so she didn't have my glasses on.