Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 8:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CC suddenly lost it's reflectiveness?
So I downloaded some CC accessories a while back that were really glossy and shiny, but after about a year hiatus and moving my downloads to a new computer, i've noticed they're not shiny anymore?
I even tried redownloading but they're still dull and unshiny so i'm not sure what happened. Anyone know how to fix this? Did i accidentally disable something or..?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 11:21 AM
Probably your graphics settings.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Probably your graphics settings.

Okay well, i'm not sure... maybe? (that's not a very helpful answer...)
However, it's only a specific group of cc that lost it's shine.
I was thinking it might be something like that but other reflective items are okay such as:

it's only items like this that aren't appearing properly:

What they should look like:

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 6:35 AM
Have you tried turning your graphics up...particularly the smooth edges and the one about reflections (I can't remember what it's actually called). Also, can you link to those items? I'd love to have them.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 9:25 AM
The shine in those images isn't something the game can create itself - it's either textured on (which would be weird since I can't imagine what could cause the texture to change) or it's photoshopped into the pics.

Do bear in mind that the lighting in Bodyshop is massively different from the in-game lighting, so it's to be expected that stuff will look different in Bodyshop.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 9:49 PM Last edited by Kurisutii : 14th Jul 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
The shine in those images isn't something the game can create itself - it's either textured on (which would be weird since I can't imagine what could cause the texture to change) or it's photoshopped into the pics.

Do bear in mind that the lighting in Bodyshop is massively different from the in-game lighting, so it's to be expected that stuff will look different in Bodyshop.

I'd believe this if it wasn't for the fact i'd downloaded them in the past and they looked just like in the photos (maybe not EXACT, but extremely close). They were very glossy and im pretty sure it wasn't painted on, seeing how the reflections actually moved as i rotated the sim. (and i wouldn't even be posting this question if they were lol)

I made sure it wasn't just bodyshop and tested the items in-game but they still weren't reflective. I'm inclined to believe it could be graphics settings, for the record i have the sims 2 ultimate collection now so maybe something got reset when i went from double deluxe to ultimate collection.

Also, i downloaded the CC here (the items in question are under "REBORN" and "vongola X family") so if anyone wants it, or would like to test it out on their computer there ya go.

*edit: I went and made a project folder with one of the items that lost it's reflectiveness and i'm seeing a "MatEnvCube" texture file that i think is responsible for the shine, but i have no idea why its not actually taking effect...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 11:00 PM
Did you have a camera mod in your old installation?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Did you have a camera mod in your old installation?

the only camera mod i remember having then (and now) was gunmod's camera mod
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 11:32 PM
Have you tried turning all your graphics settings all the way up?

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
Have you tried turning all your graphics settings all the way up?

My in-game settings are all set to high, im not sure if i have to dig deeper and go into the "Grapic Rules" file even though i'm not sure what i'm looking for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 7:08 AM
ok so, since no one has helped me yet, i tried downloading Ultimate Collection on my laptop and testing them there.
They're not reflective on there either.
So that means it might be very likely that it's a problem with Ultimate Collection.
I went looking in the files in SimPE and from my very basic knowledge and the help of this guide over here everything SEEMS to be right. (which i mean, makes sense since i barely have touched the files since i've downloaded them)
So unlike when i had double deluxe, UC doesn't seem to want to display these cc correctly for some reason.

Hopefully now that i've sortakinda pinpointed the cause someone can maybe lend a hand??