Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2016 at 4:57 PM
Default Farm ideas
I'm having my sims run a farm. They have a massive garden and chickens (from the store set), they did have the cows but it wasn't worth the effort for such a little profit. I also plan on using the canning station. I'm out of ideas on how to expand the farm, so i was wondering how you guys ran your farms, along with pictures, suggestions, and what cc you use.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:11 PM
Whenever I have a giant, multi-generation farm I always include horses. They could be general transportation or breed them.
If you're willing to download quite a few CC, you can even turn the horse into a cow and raise cows that way.
Instructor
#3 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:47 PM
The tractor from the Grandpa's Grove set might be useful. A small greenhouse with the auto-fertilizing/watering trellis (don't recall the name at the moment) would be neat too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:53 PM
I do have the tractor, actually 2 of them. I don't know if i want to include horses, maybe later on. Thanks!
Scholar
#5 Old 13th May 2016 at 12:46 AM
I put a pond for fishing on my little farms.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 13th May 2016 at 1:05 AM
I have Ani's Produce Stand on my farm lots and my sims sell produce and canned goods. Also eggs from the chickens
These are only Deco but adding some of Rebecah's Farm Animals give a more realistic farm look.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th May 2016 at 11:39 PM
I been using the produce stand for a couple sim days now, but i've only sold a few produce.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th May 2016 at 4:09 AM
Perhaps, if you're into a little supernatural, delve into some alchemy and sell elixirs.
Theorist
#9 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:21 PM
You can download (dog) piglets too, on the exchange I think

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd May 2016 at 6:02 PM
I might do elixers for my next generation. I'm trying to stay away from pets right now, too many sims to control. My second generation is doing nectar/cooking, gardening, and fishing. My third gen (when they grow up) is going to do diving (which they can catch fish underwater), someone needs to take over gardening, and i dont know yet what i'm going to do with my third sim. I have the kids get the eggs from the chickens and i use nraas returner to make it so they can harvest the honey.
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd May 2016 at 7:11 PM
Maybe you could use the bee house(?) from supernatural? If you keep the bees happy, honey can sell pretty well
Theorist
#12 Old 22nd May 2016 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajshn
I'm having my sims run a farm. They have a massive garden and chickens (from the store set), they did have the cows but it wasn't worth the effort for such a little profit. I also plan on using the canning station. I'm out of ideas on how to expand the farm, so i was wondering how you guys ran your farms, along with pictures, suggestions, and what cc you use.

I've searched for Farm cc but haven't found a whole lot, unfortunately. I did just install this mod although I haven't tried it yet: https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.co.../mod-more-milk/. It not only gives you more milk but sets the price at 10 simoleons which might make it a little more worth it to have the cows.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd May 2016 at 7:58 PM
If you have the tractor, I highly recommend this mod. I don't find the tractor worth it without it. Oh, and you can make the milk into cheese for recipes.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd May 2016 at 11:08 PM
I do have bees. I will download the cow and the tractor mod. It use to take them all day to harvest on the tractor when i had less plants, now my greenhouse has filled up the biggest lot its not possible for one sim to harvest it all in one day. I have 3 tractors set up in case i need more than one sims to harvest (which i do now) but maybe with this mod i can go back to only one sim. I've been putting my cheese into my shop (savvy seller and bakery store set) but i have trouble getting sims to buy things, they don't buy nectar, the cheese, or the jam/preserved veggies, just honey combs and the honey, and even then i only sell around 2 a day. So its a lot of pretending and just selling stuff in the inventory. The sims also didn't really use the produce stand so i had my sims buy the grocery store so i just sell my produce, and pretend there running it. I wish i could use retuner to make it so my sim kids can milk the cows but the object doesn't show up in the list.
Instructor
#15 Old 23rd May 2016 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajshn
I've been putting my cheese into my shop (savvy seller and bakery store set) but i have trouble getting sims to buy things, they don't buy nectar[...]

EA's Savvy Seller doesn't handle nectars, but the Savvier Seller mod does: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/The+Savvier+Seller+FAQ
Theorist
#16 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:31 AM
I'm running a test game atm to figure out exactly how the Savvier Seller mod works. My shops are currently zoned as a Hangout and I have a produce shop, a flower/plant shop, a bookshop, and a musical instrument store.

This is all just based on my experience so far, but the musical instruments are the most popular (and profitable), with the plants and flowers coming in second. The bookshop has some décor book items and I tried to sell skill books and children's books but the skill books will (and did) disappear when the lot clean-up routine runs at 3am. The children's books stay but won't be automatically restocked. The produce shop is the least popular shop on my lot.

It's a bit tricky with anything that you buy from the normal game registers or craft/grow/find/make yourself in-game. With the Savvier Seller mod you can sell those items (still haven't tried nectar or food), but if you want to have your sim stock the shop from things you buy/make you need to make sure that the craftables button on the displays are set to "enable restocking craftables" (you do this by clicking on each display). If you keep Enable restock craftables active you will need to click on the register and open inventory and place items for restocking there, or else the items will not get restocked through the restocking interaction (this included the children's books that my sim purchased at the bookstore). But you can drag items out of your inventory to replace them as an alternative, I think.

Anyway, I know none of this really addresses the fact that sims don't seem to buy very much produce or craftables. I don't know why. I think Ani's produce stand might work better for those kind of items but I haven't yet tested that item yet.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd May 2016 at 7:09 PM
I have the savvy sellar mod, i can sell the nectars, its just nobody buys them.