Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Locked thread | Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 3872 times. | Locked by: ellacharm3d Reason: resolved-borked drivers
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2012 at 10:28 AM Last edited by Selene_Ravenwind : 2nd May 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: update

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Default Thumbnail issues
I have checked the forums for a similar issue but I have not found any. I first encountered this issue when I traveled to China for the first time. The thumbnails on relics and collectible metals seems to be broken. I took some screenshots to show you what I mean (I hit print screen then pasted the image and brightened it so you could clearly see it). I have tried numerous times to refresh the thumbnail cache by deleting the cache files in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and the cache files in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails, it has not worked. All of my mods are updated and working fine, I have absolutely no other game issues besides this thumbnail problem. I have all expansions and stuff packs installed and my game is patched to 1.33 via the super patch. Is there any way for me to fix this without reinstalling? (It takes forever! Dx)

On the map during my first collecting assignment -

In my inventory -

EDIT: I have removed all my cc and mods, cleared the caches again and started a new game. I tested on a premade Sunset Valley family and not only do I still have the problem but it seems it has now spread to children and books -

"Until our shattered selves once again collide."
Advertisement
In the Arena
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 4th May 2012 at 5:27 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Game Problems
    Please go through this FAQ and follow the instructions, doing each step in order and not skipping anything:Most issues with the game can be resolved by following those steps.

Quote:
I have removed all my cc and mods, cleared the caches again and started a new game

Started a new game after step#3 or just up to #2 of the FAQ? And does removing cc and mods include Sims3Pack and .sims CC or just the /Mods folder?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th May 2012 at 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellacharm3d
  • Sims 3 - Game Problems
    Please go through this FAQ and follow the instructions, doing each step in order and not skipping anything:Most issues with the game can be resolved by following those steps.

Started a new game after step#3 or just up to #2 of the FAQ? And does removing cc and mods include Sims3Pack and .sims CC or just the /Mods folder?

I removed the mods folder. I keep just about everything with the exception of patterns in .package format. I hate the launcher >.>
As much as I didn't want to, I am currently reinstalling and crossing my fingers that I don't get this issue again. I will post an update after I get everything reinstalled.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th May 2012 at 11:25 AM Last edited by Selene_Ravenwind : 4th May 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: update
Okay, completely fresh install, no cc, no old saves/library/savedsims or anything like that. I did use the 1.33 super patch again though. I will try again without it.

(I tried changing the baby's clothes to refresh the thumbnail and it just changed to another thing that looks just like that)

EDIT: I have uninstalled/reinstalled/patched as instructed here. I also deleted the Electronic Arts folder in My Documents and cleared my registry after uninstalling. I am still having this issue.

Site Helper
#5 Old 4th May 2012 at 2:55 PM
OK...

If it's happening on a brand new install in a brand-new vanilla game, then maybe we need to see system specs?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *Come visit Custom Sims 3!*2013 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th May 2012 at 3:46 PM

I do have an older computer which I have made upgrades to, however, I have never before had a problem running Sims 3. I keep the settings to low/med so it usually runs fine. I did have some lag before I replaced my processor but since I replaced it, it has run just fine. I also have no problems with any other games as long as I keep the settings on the medium/low side.
One thing I have noticed since I reinstalled (my old hdd died last month and that was when I had to reinstall Sims) - occasionally the first loading screen, the one with the ep title on it, gets stuck at about 1/8 of a bar and does nothing. I have to manually exit the game and restart to get it working properly. This happens both with and without cc. I did not have this problem before I reinstalled.

In the Arena
#7 Old 4th May 2012 at 5:41 PM
While the graphics drivers is updated, the ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series has RED Nos in the SysReq wiki.
Do you have this issue on Catalyst 12.3? There's been some issues reported on Catalayst 12.4 on older GPUs, as I see that is the version that you have. You may want to rollback to 12.3 if you never encountered this with that driver version.
Quote:
Update in safe mode
===============
- Download the driver file
- boot to Safe mode (press F8 during boot-up),
- uninstall old driver via Control Panel
- reboot (You'll be defaulted to standard VGA drivers at low resolution)
- install new drivers
- reboot again

A few other issues with that computer, other than the weak/unsupported graphics,
- outdated Win XP SP 2: run Windows Update to get to SP3.
- 32bit machine
- 2GB RAM
- outdated DirectX: update here
- and for all that lack of specs in RAM and GPU, if you had a stronger CPU, it may have help lessen things somewhat. But alas, even the CPU is lower than the 2.4GHz recommended minimum.

You can upload a (zipped up) Save where the thumbnails have gone bonkers and see if others loading that save see the same thing. That could at least confirm or rule out hardware issues.
Or, if it may have been an outdated Windows, DirectX issue. Or that Catalyst 12.4, even.
If Windows Updates prompt you for other updates than SP3, uncheck them and run SP3 first (and only that one alone, yes, by itself). You can rerun the update to get the rest later, as those may be prompted just because the SP3 is not installed. An outdated Visual C++ Redistributable may also contribute to the issue at hand. So that's another essential update to get (after the SP3 is finished).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2012 at 9:17 PM Last edited by Selene_Ravenwind : 4th May 2012 at 9:35 PM. Reason: attachment
I started playing Sims 3 on this machine before LN came out. Back then I had less than 2 gb of ram, an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor and this same video card. I have never encountered anything like this before. Since I upgraded the ram and most recently the processor, it is running better than I have ever seen it and it keeps a steady 25-30 fps.

The system requirements listed for Showtime are:

Quote:
CPU:
For XP: 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
For Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2.4 GHz P4 prcoessor or equivalent
RAM: For XP 1 GB RAM / Windows Vista and Windows 7 1.5 GB RAM*
DISC DRIVE: DVD drive
Hard Drive: At least 3.5 GB** of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
Video: 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
*For NVIDIA ION™ computers, the game requires at least 2.0 GB RAM.
**9.6 GB of hard drive space if installing with The Sims 3.
Supported Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce 6 series or better, and all NVidia G, GT, GTS, and GTX video cards. ATI Radeon™ series card 9500 series or better, and all ATI X, X1, and HD video cards; Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA): GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series

Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100 cards are not supported.

I am running Windows XP, not Vista or 7 so according to this I only need a 2.0 ghz processor. My current processor should be more than enough.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with this site but I use it often to see what I can run on here and what I can't and it's usually right on the mark.

I am aware that the more expansions you have, the more demanding the game is, but as I said, it runs fine. I have absolutely no game issues other than the thumbnails looking like that. I didn't even know there was a problem with my game until I found those thumbnails.
It's not even for every thumbnail either, only select ones. I tested a family in Starlight Shores with a baby and the picture for that child was fine, however, the books and collectables/food items all had that weird thumbnail.

When I opened the launcher I got a patch notification, I think it was for store stuff, although I still have absolutely nothing installed into this game, it's completely clean. I let it patch to be on the safe side and then it gave me this when I started the game.

I went back to that family in Sunset Valley again and still the same thing - some item thumbnails are messed up and that toddler's picture is messed up.

I have attached the zipped save file if you would be so kind as to test it and see if the thumbnails show up for you. It very well may be my graphics card. Though I have never had any problems like this before, it has been about 3 years since I bought it. Although, I think it's kind of odd that it only does that for certain ones and not all of them.
Please let me know how it looks and thank you very much for your help.

Edit: I added the file as an attachment but it's been a few minutes and it's not showing up. Here's a mirror in case it doesn't come up.

In the Arena
#9 Old 4th May 2012 at 10:03 PM
The 2shared download link doesn't do anything, and pops up another page with a 403null in the URL. MTS servers has a cap of 10MB on file uploads, this is why all our World downloads are in multi-part files. Can you try mediafire?

You mentioned already having done an Uninstall, reinstall and Patch. Following our FAQs? With all the bits and bobs removed?
Because if you're already using a brand, new vanilla user folder and still get that "Unofficial ..." dialog box, that points to issue being in Programs Files. But you've done an uninstall, so...are you using cracks? Or, the Uninstall wasn't "clean", and you have to do it again.
  1. Game Help:TS3 Uninstallwiki
  2. Game Help:Issues with 1.3x Superpatcherwiki
  3. Q&A for "Issues with 1.3x Superpatcher" wiki FAQ

You probably have not seen this sticky on the Computer Tech sub-forum, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=346215. Their calculations and results doesn't tally or makes sense, sometimes. So that makes the results of such scans unreliable.
As that Specs Requirements from EA is never updated (all the addons essentially used the base game's version, there has been no changes for 3 years), I only apply the Official requirements to an unpatched, base game. For all the patches since then and all the addons, the increments are quite considerable. Plus, for a machine of that age, the wear and tear takes a toll. And then, too, even old reliable plow horses need to be retired when they become old. Game Help:Your Computer is Like a Carwiki

Haven't tried a driver rollback? This thread claims a rollback fix their graphical issues. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=475241
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th May 2012 at 10:38 PM Last edited by Selene_Ravenwind : 5th May 2012 at 3:53 AM.
Nope and I did not get that message the first time I started up the fresh install, only after that store patch popped up. I just launched the game again and did not receive that message this time either.
I just updated my graphics driver this past weekend for the GW2 beta (which also ran fine on my computer) but I will try a fresh install once again and a graphics rollback.

Mediafire link is here

Edit: Success! You were right on the money about the graphics driver. I usually don't install Catalyst Control Center, just the driver. I rolled my driver back, downloaded and installed version 12.3 and loaded the game up again and it's fixed!

Thank you so much for your help and patience!

In the Arena
#11 Old 5th May 2012 at 4:47 AM
The glitch was captured in the Save, too! It appeared when I loaded the Save and no amount of resetting and stuff makes it go away permanently. Even a Save As, Moving did not help. And Errortrap did not capture the issue as it is a graphical thing.

But glad, the root cause is now identified!
I was just about to come in to ask if it occurs in all Households with Toddlers or just the Sekemoto's Household, but moot now. Anyway, Happy Simming!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th May 2012 at 4:53 AM
Thanks again =D!

Closed Thread

Section jump