Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Increased Texture Detail & Shine - TS3 Skin Replacements

by HystericalParoxysm Posted 5th Jun 2009 at 7:21 PM - Updated 16th Jun 2009 at 12:20 PM by HystericalParoxysm : Clarifying some points.

701 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 653 Feedback Posts, 47 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 29
Field Researcher
#76 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:20 PM
They look great! I've been wondering how custom skins were going to work in this incarnation of the game. I can't wait to see future improvements, too. Thanks so much.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:21 PM
Ryouken - Please download the fixed files. They should be okay now.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#78 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
Yeah, they work 100% okay now, no more zombiefied bodies.
Test Subject
#79 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:27 PM
Haven't tested for females the first time I installed it. Then I read all the comments and I make a female sim... the body was green for me too; but now, with your new files the problem is fixed. Thank you
Test Subject
#80 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexiaAshford
can someone help me to install this? U.u I just can´t I even tried the dummy steps! TT.TT

Step 1 (Pre-Set Up):
Is this the first sims3 mod you are installing? If so, you need to make sure you have your folders set up properly.

Navigate to the installation folder of your sims3 game; for most users this is typically 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3'. You should see, after a fresh install, 5 folders. These are: (caches, game, gamedata, support, thumbnails).

Getting to this folder is just step 1.

Step 2 (Make your mods folder):
In 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3', make a folder called 'Mods' and then within THAT, a folder named 'Packages'. Make sure to capitalize, just in case.

Step 3 (get your config file):
Next, go here and look under "Summary". There is a link that says 'click here' for 'Resource.cfg'. Download 'Resource.cfg'.

Step 4 (put the config file in the right place):
Take your newly downloaded 'Resource.cfg' and place it in your base Sims 3 directory. This is, again, 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3.' Do not place it in your 'Mods' or 'Packages' folder. It will not work.

Step 5 (get HP's files):
To use this particular mod, you have to decide what combination you want. You can have the following combinations;
shiny x1, male face x1, male body x1, female body x1, female face x1
or the above without the shiny.

Make sure you only download ONE set of skins. Pick either female barbie or female non-Barbie.

Step 6 (unzipping HP's files):
Once you have the appropriate files (one each of male and female face, shiny still being optional), unzip the '.rar' files. You will see a list of '.package' files.

Step 7 (placing HP's files):
All '.package' files, which are thesims3 mod files, go in your 'Packages' folder. If you set it up as we did in the first steps, this will be located at ''C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages".

Step 8 (test it!):
Run the sims3 and open Create a Sim. Testing is quickest if you start a new town. Keep in mind this mod will not update existing sims unless you go to 'plan outfit' using the dresser, as this forces a minor CAS screen.

If you don't notice the difference, try experimenting. Take pictures of the sims before and after mod installs wearing bathing suits. Did their belly buttons change? Do they look less like mannequins? Make sure you don't have any mispellings in your folder setup. Also, make sure you put your .package files directly in your 'Package' folder, or else they may not work correctly.

Good luck. HystericalParoxysm--I'm sorry to clutter your comments with this. >_< Just trying to be helpful.
Test Subject
#81 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:36 PM
You know, as long as I've been a member of Modthesims2, I have never left a reply. Ever! However, this download diserves my undivided thank yous and praise. This is a great download, and I am so appreciative that you've provided it. Thank you!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:36 PM
pkstar - No need to apologize, that's -very- helpful!

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#83 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Ryouken - Please download the fixed files. They should be okay now.

Yep, It works now....Thank you so much for fixed the files.
Top Secret Researcher
#84 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:42 PM Last edited by Daisie : 6th Jun 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Thanks for this, HP!

Er, this is probably a stupid question (sorry!). Is hair the only difference between barbie and non-barbie for males?

EDIT: Thanks for the quick response.

Test Subject
#85 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:46 PM
Thank so much for this! The sims in the screenshots really do look great, you did a much better job than the game designers!

I just wanted to ask if it's possible to delete mods that you put in a game. I ask because I've never downloaded mods before (only objects, etc.), and just in case somethings goes wrong for me, I'd like to know I could go back to how things originally were.

Anyway, I'm dying to download this, just wanna make sure first. Thank you again!
Field Researcher
#86 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:51 PM
hey
do I get a fried egg or two plus tomato with the fried bacon lol

Thank you for such great instructions. You and MODSIMS ROCKZ

cheers
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:55 PM
Daisie - Yup, that's the only difference. Non-barbie has some arm and leg and chest hairs. Mainly to differentiate it from the with pubes and happy trail version I'll be uploading to the adult site soon.

leovenancio123 - Should be able to delete the files but because skins are cached you may have to beat your head against Change Appearance and Plan Outfit for a while to get them to go back to normal.

Test Subject
#88 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Test Subject
#89 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM
Ooh, thanks! I have yet to receive my game, but I know I love as much realism as possible in The Sims.
Test Subject
#90 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:01 AM
Think i might rip it apart a little to see how you improved beyond what i have looked at & played with in my own game, If that is okay?

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:03 AM
Fire~ - Sure, go for it. I never mind people poking and prodding at my stuff. My policies boil down to "Go nuts, just give me a mention if you repost anything."

Test Subject
#92 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:04 AM
I read the forum you linked, it just seems people with Vista are having problems getting custom content to work. I still have a feeling its something to do with the path the Resource.cfg tells the game to look for custom content. If anyone with Vista was able to get this to work, a quick How To would be appreciated.
Test Subject
#93 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:32 AM
Skin cache: For me, a simple 'shower' worked for refreshing the textures. Might be worth a try.

Vista and mods: Dunno, no problems here at all.

I have inside the /Sims3 folder a resource.cfg with the content:

Code:
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Hacks/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Patterns/*.package
Priority 498
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Skins/*.package

And then place the mods in the appropriate folders, creating new ones as needed.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:33 AM
Ok i feel dumb, I didn't download Barbie because i thought that was the one with no nipples but when i get the other ones it says no pubes. is one with nipples and pubes and the other one just nipples?
Test Subject
#95 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:37 AM
Even in danger of sounding stupid:

what do the two different male and female packages include?
or what does fully barbie mean compared to just nipples?
Test Subject
#96 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:37 AM
Very good work. I've always thought body hair should be put into Sims yet I never saw any good mods in TS2. Though I was a little surprised the body hair skinmod didn't include armpit hair.

Though, I think it'd be interesting if you made a body hair version for the females too. You know, for all those au natural sims out there.
Test Subject
#97 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lootable
I read the forum you linked, it just seems people with Vista are having problems getting custom content to work. I still have a feeling its something to do with the path the Resource.cfg tells the game to look for custom content. If anyone with Vista was able to get this to work, a quick How To would be appreciated.

I have been playing with mods in my game fine and i am running Vista, also noted i have been running everything in x86, The game, The mods folder and downloaded files, I also had to download the Resource.cfg and put it into the sims3 folder, it works just as well if you put it in the "Mods" folder. So far.

Other than this i changed nothing else that i can think of?

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:54 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! What would we ever do without you?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#99 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:05 AM
DarkLolita, neither of the versions have pubes, as it says in the first post.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#100 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:12 AM
thx very much, its a great improvement.

I also found a way to update all your skins whitout starting a new game.
Go to "My Documents" open the folder "Electronic Arts" next the folder "The Sims 3"
and delete the file "simCompositorCache.package" next time you start your game the file will be made again. (this time with the new skintones).

If you dont trust it, simply make a backup of the file.
Page 4 of 29