Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 10:58 AM
Default MTS2 expansion!
Hi All,

With the recent slowness problems we have been experiencing lately, MTS2 is expanding onto a dual-server setup. Due to the current server handling attachments, thumbnails, forums and uploading, it's maxing out the bandwidth on the network port assigned to it. To alleviate this problem, we've ordered a new machine to handle the forums and uploading as well as splitting off the mysql database onto a seperate box.

What does this mean for you?

Firstly, the forums will be down while the new server is installed and tested. This should happen at some point next week.

Secondly, browsing the actual forums, uploading, replying to threads will be a lot quicker. Downloading attachments and thumbnails, however, will be as fast as they are now since they will be hosted on the current unmetered bandwidth, limited outgoing 10mbps port. Given that the attachments server wont have to handle the main forum browsing traffic, it should be a little quicker.

Longer term plans include a revamped download section, and moving the current downloads and beta test attachments out of the vBulletin forum system and into a custom-written codebase designed specifically for that purpose.

We are also looking at ways of improving the navigation of the site, and we hope that all these changes will result in a much better user experience for everybody.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has become an MTS2 Supporter - without your donations this would not be possible, since adding an extra server means more cost per month.

I would also like to thank the great team we have here at MTS2 - RGiles, Loverat, tkdjunkie, daysies, athene, CynicalChick, LyricLee, Faylen - for making this community one of the best, most helpful and biggest Sims 2 websites out there!

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 2:15 PM Last edited by dean de beste : 31st Mar 2005 at 2:17 PM.
that sounds very good i'm feeling a bit a samed besouse i can't afford to be a seporter but when i have some mony left i'll give it to the site as a one time donation.
but keep the good work up . and one Q will there be a rss modthesims2 (like the newst downloads and that tipe fo stuuf? ?.
whit great happyness an pleasur
Dean...
oh and i thoght that there was an EP goning to be made for the sims 2

no ears
Instructor
#3 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 6:00 PM
sounds like things will be much better...

oh and dean...there already is an EP made for the sims2 its called University...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 7:27 PM Last edited by TheSims2Master : 31st Mar 2005 at 7:30 PM.
anonymous I think Dean meant the mts2 community was going to make an expansion!

Delphy, I look forward to the new server and such. I also feel guilty I can't donate because I don't have much spare cash either...

Hmm I also second the request for RSS because my homepage (Bt Yahoo) supports it and I have all my favourite site's news on it. So I am asking you, no pleading you to incorperate RSS into the site.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 9:07 PM
This is great! The server has been so slow and I can't wait for things to speed up! Like everyone else, I feel bad not being able to donate, but no money=no donations =(.

Um, I think whne they said MTS@ expansion, they mean the website is expanding in they're getting a new server machine-thingy.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 9:31 PM
Faboulous! I am so excited! I will send some $$ this week to help out!

So, does this mean that when the new code is written, a thumbnail will appear next to the description, and we won't have to click on the thread and open it to download? If so, that would be SOOO great.

A big thank you to all the creators out there! This is my FAVORITE Sims2 Site!
Test Subject
#7 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I would also like to thank the great team we have here at MTS2 - RGiles, Loverat, tkdjunkie, daysies, athene, CynicalChick, LyricLee, Faylen - for making this community one of the best, most helpful and biggest Sims 2 websites out there!

we thank the team as well - you all do a great job!! and as it is the best sims2 site i didnĀ“t mind the slowness or downtimes at all, i knew sooner or later it would work - and it was allways worth waiting.

thanks for all your efforts and hard work delphy (and of course all the people mentioned above!!!)
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 10:42 PM
As an IT admin I feel your pain and may God Speed. Also I hope that you can get some monetary units flowing your way. I hate to say this but how bout some simple ads. Nothing to obnoxious. You have a good thing going capatilize on it. (i would )
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:03 PM
I also thought that MTS2 made a expansion pack for the game. I also feel bad because I'm not a supporter... I love this site so much though...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:08 PM Last edited by Eriksrocks : 31st Mar 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by techgeek27
As an IT admin I feel your pain and may God Speed. Also I hope that you can get some monetary units flowing your way. I hate to say this but how bout some simple ads. Nothing to obnoxious. You have a good thing going capatilize on it. (i would )

There are ads... at the very top of the page... go straight up!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:08 AM
I am so greatful to the folks that run this site and the helpers that frequent it and the supporters that are financially stable enough to be able to help keep it free. I just don't know what I'd do w/o this site.. I've become a daily visitor, reading as much as I can and learning so much from these threads... its fantastic!

I've never seen so much enthusiasm, drive and motivation for this game in ANY other forum ANYwhere... and I feel at home here even though I don't talk much. Everyone has one thing in common... SIMS and the personal net garbage is left at the door on the way in. I LOVE that! Thanks for all you do. It means more to me than I could ever really express.
Faster kill pussycat
#12 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:53 AM
I try to send $ but it will never take my card!? I realy want to give you my husbands $ I real do! I wont let him use it so why cant you! Please help me give you $ Delphy Please.
Nova
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 3:16 AM
Just donated. :yippee: I've been wanting to do that for a while. I love the work everyone does here. It's made my game wonderful. Now off I go to continue shopping the site... :D

(edited - spelling error)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:38 AM
well i have a jar on my desk now and people can give some mony and i'll ask cthem if they will donate and in 2 weeks time i'll see what in there and give some money. (when i say some i meant all the mony in the jar)
and delphy is it a sun server ?.. and could you tell us more about it i'm very intresed in web in jenral.

no ears
Field Researcher
#15 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 6:12 AM Last edited by SexyShelly : 1st Apr 2005 at 6:52 AM.
This is great.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 1:43 PM
This sounds great! :D

I just made a donation to help pay for all of this. It's not much, but I felt like I had to do something to pay you back for all of your hard work... I love this site!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 2:16 PM
If I could I would donate, except I'm battling the flu right now (damn virus!) and I'm not financially stable enough to donate toooo much. But thanks!
Scholar
#18 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:00 PM
sounds good
donated before with some random dollars in my paypal account, but i have now just worked out how to update my card with paypal so have donated again
love this site, my second home these days
Instructor
#19 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:01 PM
i wish i could donate im still a young teen (no specific age) and i dont have a credit card. i do have a debit card but my parents watch all my transactions and i would get in trouble for putting my debit card # on the web. i guess my parents hate me :P:P
YAY!! i have a really crappy comp and now mds2 is going to be faster! it takes like 30 for one page to load (yay faster mts2)!!!!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 4:19 AM
Sounds great! Can't wait for all the new changes!

And I was truly saving up money to donate with, had a little box full of it and I was going to go put it in our account then take it right back out and put all the money into this site! Then I got really sick two weeks ago and had to be taken to the hospital, and even though we have good insurance we are still out a bit more money and things were tight anyway considering we are newly married. So I put the money in our account and my husband was stunned I was stashing all that money away. Naturally since he does not like TS I just told him it was for an emergency!

But I love everyone here and hope to truly be of help in the very near future, even if I just find an extra $10 laying around I will put it in the pot! Thanks so much to all who put the time and effort into my all time favorite place!! Honestly I do not know what I would do all day if not for this site!! :D

HUGS AND KISSES!

Silk stockings, What bliss they recall,
When love promised all, Forever more . . .
Cole Porter - 1954
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 7:10 AM
this is the best news ive had all week

ive been very sick for the last 4 days and this is the first time ive been on MTS2 since

thank you all moderators and admins and supermods

special thanx to all you do to let us make things for the people at this site

Delphy you are the man

You should never put a cap on violence!! Suppressing violent urges only leads to psycological internal violence! Got it!? If I were to use an analogy, I'd turn to yeast! The root of all bread making!!
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 4:16 PM
Thank you all, guys, you rock!!! You've got the best site for the Sims2 and I visit many times everyday...and each time is worth it!!!
Off to donate the little I can!!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 7:39 PM
All right!!! We all know that MTS2 is the BEST Sims site around! And that Delphy, our fearless leader is "The Man!" And that the MTS2 crew is the best, most knowlegeable, helpfull, whitty and courteous bunch on the planet!!! And, last but not least, we thank those responsible for all of their time and effort.

What we don't know is how long it's gonna take for my bank to transfer funds to PayPal so I can make a contribution!!! I just put in the request and they said 3-4 business days. So when it happens you got some more Simoleons for your coffers!!! Not much but a great big THANK YOU worth!!!

Slip

Smile so people will wonder what you're up to...
Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 5:42 PM
Default Im so glad
For the reason that you are upgrading your servers (?) or something like that
I'm so sad that there will be downtimes because I think that this is the best site ever for sims 2

Often I do wonder.......hm... what I was wondering about
Field Researcher
#25 Old 4th Apr 2005 at 10:36 AM
yay, thanks guys ^^ (being here in the uk, the forums slow down for me any time after 12 noon so i have to get up befor i go to work to catch up on the news here lol)
oh, and i thought the next Sim2 EP was 'Nightlife'?
*in my Uni box there was a leaflet that has what *looked* like a lady vamp (she had fangs) and a guy and it 'said comming in november, Sims2 Nightlife...'
im assuming thats the next one..ooh, thats going to go down like ice-cream to a sore throte ^^ for all the vamp fans *grins evily*
Page 1 of 2