Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#551 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 2:42 PM
*Blinks* Well, that's... interesting. Have you got a screenshot of the mesh the way it looked in Milkshape?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#552 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 7:18 PM
It's a conversion. The hair is attached to a scalp with no seperate groups so I just decided to leave it there. I didnt know what type of pic you wanted, so I provided one of just the hair, the hair and the face, and the hair, face, and scalp colored.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#553 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 8:07 PM
I've never seen that before, sorry :/ I would definitely advise you to change the scalp, though. Is it a Sims 2 conversion? I see that at present you've got the old scalp AND the Sims 3 scalp working together, and that can't possibly be good. You options are:

1. Delete the scalp from the hair so that it is just a bunch of sausages floating in mid-air. This will work fine as a hair mesh, although you'll need to make a scalp texture for the built-in Sims 3 scalp.
2. Move the hair's built-in scalp around so that it fits neatly over the Sims 3 one, covering all of it.

I don't know if this will solve the weird problem above, but I know leaving the Sims 2 scalp sticking through the Sims 3 one is just asking for trouble.
Forum Resident
#554 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cheryl Mason
I've never seen that before, sorry :/ I would definitely advise you to change the scalp, though. Is it a Sims 2 conversion? I see that at present you've got the old scalp AND the Sims 3 scalp working together, and that can't possibly be good. You options are:

1. Delete the scalp from the hair so that it is just a bunch of sausages floating in mid-air. This will work fine as a hair mesh, although you'll need to make a scalp texture for the built-in Sims 3 scalp.
2. Move the hair's built-in scalp around so that it fits neatly over the Sims 3 one, covering all of it.

I don't know if this will solve the weird problem above, but I know leaving the Sims 2 scalp sticking through the Sims 3 one is just asking for trouble.

It is a Sims 2 conversion. For some odd reason, the hair and scalp is all in one group. So technically I would need to remove all the connecting vertices of the scalp and leave the hair pieces floating? I'm a little leery of trying to remove the scalp without messing something up. Moving the hair neatly over the Sims 3 scalp doesnt sound to easy either.

For the other problem, I was trying to reference the afro texture that is already in the game in DABOOBS but I guess that didnt turn out so well. It could just be that the mesh is clashing with the S3 scalp, causing some of the parts to not appear.
Lab Assistant
#555 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 9:08 PM
Don't worry about messing things up. Just create a copy of the hair; if it doesn't work, delete the copy and start again. You can have multiple copies of the same hair in the game at the same time, too, as long as you take care to give them all different mesh names.

So technically I would need to remove all the connecting vertices of the scalp and leave the hair pieces floating? That's it exactly. Don't worry; although it's fiddly and tedious, it's not half as hard as it looks.

This texture you're trying to use: have you tried placing it over the mesh in Milkshape using the Materials tab? If so, what did it look like? If you try it and it looks terrible, that'll explain the in-game problem.
Forum Resident
#556 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 7:51 AM
Deleting the scalp is so stressful! There are little squares of vertices in nooks and cranies all over the mesh. Is there any easier way to do this that doesnt involve pulling out my own hair?
Lab Assistant
#557 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 9:51 AM
You may be better adjusting the Sims 2 scalp to fit over the Sims 3 one, then. Make sure it fits nice and closely at the edges (though not so closely that it clips).
Forum Resident
#558 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cheryl Mason
You may be better adjusting the Sims 2 scalp to fit over the Sims 3 one, then. Make sure it fits nice and closely at the edges (though not so closely that it clips).

So it will probably be better for me to just start from the beginning. Sigh...over to the back burner for this project. Thanks Cheryl Mason for your help.
Mad Poster
#559 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 7:05 PM
Hello, I've got an issue with my mesh. I've not got to the stage where I can try it in game yet as I am still trying to create my LODs.

I'm using Milkshape and attempting to create the LODs by using the DirectX Mesh tool. The hair is pieced together from three in-game EA hairs exported with the TSR Workshop. The selPolyCount tool reports that the hair has 14170 Polys, 11040 Vertices and 4310 Distinct Vertices. I have no idea if that is good or not.

My problem is that when I use the DirectX Mesh tool it will NOT reduce the polys below a count of 12027. How should I go about reducing it if the tool won't work? I can't mesh from scratch which is one of the main reasons why I used existing EA meshes.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
#560 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 10:20 PM
Not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, but here goes.
Are there any tutorials for converting hair from Female to Male?

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.
Not just pretty words." -Addams Family
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#561 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 11:17 PM
14k is way too high for a normal hair, but it's strange that the DirectX tools aren't working. Try going Tools -> Clean, and see if DirectX works properly after that.

I don't know of a specific tutorial, rjwp, but you can work it out easily enough using this one - you just extract your meshes and textures from the original (you can also link to the original textures, but that's a bit more advanced and maybe not great for a beginner project), and use those according to this tutorial. Don't forget that you'll need to fix the mesh to fit the male head - just use adjustment by eye for that.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#562 Old 14th Sep 2011 at 1:18 AM
I appreciate the help!

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.
Not just pretty words." -Addams Family
Test Subject
#563 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 5:26 PM
Okay so I really suck at this cause I don't know "open the mesh file" instruction. Yeah I know it only shows I'm a real newbie but can someone give me a link for a complete idiots guide cause I really want to learn
Test Subject
#564 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 6:29 PM
Hi, I'm trying to convert Sim 2 hair to three, but I keep hitting a brick wall, I've got the milkshape plugins needed but they aren't showing up so I'm a little stuck :] any advice you could give I'd be thankfull for.
sadly been a newbie this is my first attempt at converting ANYTHING! so if you have any hints or tips could you let me know?
Test Subject
#565 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 4:08 AM
First of all I want to say thank you guys for the tutorial and this very informative thread. It's been super helpful with trying to convert this one hair. Except I've seem to hit a snag...

I've gotten to the part of assigning the bones, and when I open up the unimesh tool, I do not have the same selections as the tutorial for joints. I just had "head" "spine1" "spine2" etc etc. Also the joints I do have do not correspond with the numbers in the tutorial, so I can't just go to joint 71, because it thinks I only have 64 joints. Prior to attempting to assign bones, I had a sims 3 face,scalp, and body loaded in (but deleted them right before I attempted to assign bones) so I'm not sure how that would affect anything.

But I've tried assigning them to the head, spine 2 joints just to see what happens, and everytime I finish and select "draw vertices with bone colors" my milkshape crashes. I've tried finding an explanation, and some other tutorials and q&a's of milkshape meshing have suggested that it's either assigned to an improper bone, OR the comments on the mesh is incorrect.

Which has me more confused because according to this tutorial, we don't mess with comments until after assigning weights. So just to try out the comments I opened my GEOM file and looked at the comments, and the comments are gone. No matter was sims 3 base mesh I've tried importing, they don't have comments.

It's kinda late, and I've exhausted myself, so I'm not sure if I fubar'd something along the way, or if my milkshape is broken.
Test Subject
#566 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 2:11 PM
Okay, first off. thanks so much for this tutorial!

But... im having a problem, when i go into CTU and select my hair and extract meshes, i get a message saying " Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection" wtf does this mean? haha

Thanks
Test Subject
#567 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:38 AM
Default Help With Milkshape
You're all going to get angry with me when I say this, but this is my first time picking up creating in my life. I read that this was not a beginners tutorial, but being determined and Sim-Loving as I am, I tried.

I got all the way to step 3.3.3 : Remove Undersides.

Can SOMEONE, anyone, help me. I've been trying to convert this hair for four days now. I downloaded all of these programs to convert Sims 2 hair to Sims 3. Please, what do I do from this point?

Contact me. Any day, any time. I probably won't sleep until I get this right....
Instructor
#568 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 3:13 AM
I need to do one of two things: either clone an existing custom hairstyle and change the plain scalp texture it uses to AMHairShortFeather, OR create a scalp overlay/tattoo/accessory/something of the sort that's usable with any hair and extends the sideburns into the scalp area.

The reason I need this is because the Sim I'm trying to make has sideburns that visibly cut off at the scalp line and are not fully covered by the hair I'm using, and it looks odd.

Can anyone give me a suggestion for how best to proceed?
Test Subject
#569 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 4:37 PM
First off, thank you, HP for a great tutorial! Honestly the best CC tut I've read, it was easy to follow especially for a hard topic such as converting hair.

Now here's my problem, hopefully someone can help me with this.

Whenever I load that hair it comes off transparent and polygon-y, and I have no I idea why. At first I thought it was the diffuse so I checked it out, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Then I re-worked the mesh, thinking it might be the underside but it still didn't fix anything. Did I miss a step or something? Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It will be very much appreciated. @_@
Test Subject
#570 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 1:19 AM
So, um, I think I did something wrong. Help please?
Test Subject
#571 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 8:04 PM
So I found my way to the "File>Import>Wavefront OBJ" but all I have is this

What have I done wrong or what should I do? s:
Mad Poster
#572 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 11:14 PM
What did you import? Looks to me like the joints of a sim skeleton. If this is the first time you have used Milkshape then you will need to set the joint size to something smaller so that you can actually see your mesh.
Go to File> Preferences then select the Misc tab and set Joint Size to 0.008000

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#573 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:41 AM
Ohh that helped! Thank you so much. (:
Lab Assistant
#574 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 2:44 PM Last edited by RayneHeaven : 1st Sep 2012 at 5:44 PM.
Hello!

I converted a Sims 2 hair for sims 3 but in the game the texture looks strange and kinda messed up, eventhough I am sure I put it in correctly.
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#575 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 3:36 PM
Usually, crashing in CAS is caused by missing bone assignments.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Page 23 of 25