Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 1:21 PM
Sims 3 Farming Challenge with a Twist
Hello! I've been wanting to do something like this for a whilst now and well, now's the time! I had a feeling there would be other challenges like this out there and I found one which inspired me a little https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grltGhWT_UI. My farmhouse seems to resemble his a lot, though that wasn't at all intentional. Anyway!

What you'll need for this challenge:-

- Sims 3 (obviously)
- Pets (definitely)
- Ambitions (as washing is part of the challenge)
- World Adventures (for nectar production)
- Supernatural (for consigning produce and honey etc and for the rocking chair which your sim's elderly father spends most of his time in.)
- Showtime (simply because the windows and one of the beds are from Showtime. If you don't have Showtime then feel free to just replace these things.)
- University (for an end table and chair, same applies, if you don't have this then they can be easily replace.)
- Late Night is recommended.
- Seasons is highly recommended and will play a big role in this challenge.
- All farm related store items are also recommended.

(Store bought content "Perpetual wall ivy" and "Pleasant Wall Ivy" are used on the lot, but it's no real problem if you don't have them.)

Story:-

Our story begins with an old, rundown farmhouse with an unknown history. You have an elderly father who's ill and very frail, a teenage main character and just 500 simoleons.
Our main character's elderly father has just recently lost everything and they've had to move to a new town. They basically came to Appaloosa Plains with nothing and were given an old beaten up farmhouse and 500 simoleons on the condition that they renovate and build it up to be a working farm once again. The main character's elderly father is too frail to do any work and has to be cared for by the main character.

Rules:-

- You must begin with an elderly father and a teenage sim (which are on the lot by default. You may use a cheat and edit them in CAS. The elderly father must stay male but the teenager can be either male or female. You may also choose whichever traits you desire for this challenge. (Although the gatherer trait is discouraged). They must stay human though- no supernaturals.

- No cheats unless there's a glitch and it becomes a necessity.

- You start out with 500 simoleons and you may spend that on whatever you feel would be most productive.

- Lifespan is entirely up to you, but for more of a challenge keep it under or around 100 sim days.

- Teenage main character must attend school as normal and earn an A.

- MC must fix all broken items and clean up the horrific mess by him/herself.

- MC must also do all the growing of the crops him/herself.

- MC must also do all general housework (with the exception of old newspapers and dirty clothes that may be dragged by player.)

- MC must care for the elderly father as he is ill and very frail and must rest...
-Cook him a proper meal at least twice a week. (Father can eat leftovers whenever they're there and can get quick meal once a week)
-Clean up after him as much as you can.
-Don't leave him unattended unless MC is going to school.
-Don't allow him to do any housework if possible, especially cleaning, gardening or cooking. (Bringing in the washing now and again is acceptable if your MC is completely snowed under.)
-When the father wants to leave the house then MC must acompany him everywhere up until his passing.

-Everything that came with the house/lot cannot be customised. You must wait until you can afford to replace it all- this includes objects, windows and doors, wallpaper etc. Trees, plants and weeds must be deleted and not sold. Items such as fridges or beds may be sold only if they are to be replaced.

-The only ways you can make money:-
-Selling produce
-Selling nectar you've made yourself
-Selling eggs
-Selling cheese from milking cows
-Selling honey and bees wax (can be from own bee hive or the two from the elixir store once a week).
-Collecting bugs, rocks and general collectibles when there is time to spare. (Bugs must be traded at the science lab and rocks can either be sold or must be smelted/cut through mail for a fee.)
-Fishing when there is time to spare (fish may be sold (at the supermarket only), eaten or mounted.
-Your sims may also accept opportunities relating to their skills i.e. "fix broken stereo".
-Breeding and selling horses (next generation (MC's offspring)

may enter horse races and earn that way also).
-Next generation may earn money from playing an instrument for tips, painting and selling work, sculpting, inventing, writing, photography, alchemy and discovering new stars. (Blogging may also be accepted.)
-Children may have bake sales.

(All collectibles, crops, nectar honey and everything possible must be sold at either the consignment store or the elixir store. For things that aren't possible to be sold that way they may be sold normally. Crops may also be sold at the supermarket if you do so wish.)

- You may not steal or sell stolen items.

- You may not merge any other sims with your household.

- Your MC must marry and and have at least two children in his/her lifetime.

- MC can marry anyone you like with any traits you desire, but for more of a challenge stick with non-wealthy sims.

- The family may all help out with chores.

- You may have cats, dogs, horses and small animals as soon as you can afford them.

- Bugs and animals caught by cats may be sold or kept as pets, but obviously bugs must be donated to the science lab.

- Anything to aid your sim in farming is permitted if it can be afforded, such as sprinklers, tractors and harvesters. It's really up to the player- if you want more of a challenge then stay away from things such as Swiftgrow Gardening Station.

-Finally, have fun! It may seem like a lot of rules, but it is meant to be a challenge and it is certainly doable.

Download household here:- http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=8265173

Some pictures of the house and inside:-

Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 6:44 PM
I'll be doing a variation on your challenge. I like the cinderella-esque feeling to your game, but like doing my own thing. I will be doing this on Simore Sims.

1.) Grandmother- Grandaughter
2.) I prefer to build my own lot, so I did (trust me, it looks run down and barely lived in: you wanted a washer and dryer, so I put in a small shed and a trailer like someone was cleaning up, but then left; the place is well grown over with weeds and, well, you'll see in the video)... I LOVE my lot.
3.) I may allow /some/ help (farm only) simply because I know from (sims 3) experience that it's hard to keep up with gardening and every thing else as well. However, they (boy/girl, only 1 like other challenge) won't be allowed access to the house, at least at first. (Grandma has to die first!) That's my job (home care, not killing Grandma, LOL). I'll do as much as I possibly can on the farm apart from house chores and homework.)

So I'm actually basically doing a twist between yours and regular, Cinderella aka PianoAshes. Just curious: how did /you/ do with this challenge?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've been gearing towards making my first (farming) video. I tried all last week to make the commercial, w/out much success. Note for all: Do NOT use Sims 3 video camera. Just don't do it, ok? It comes out all blurry and... yuck! Snapshots seem to be ok, just not their video camera. Don't know what it is. Mean while, I've been having issues with my microphone making half my screen go away when I try to record my voice, specifically; it's there on video, but I can't see when I'm trying to play. The pause box and blue bar disappear from view. (What's that about? Grr.)
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th May 2015 at 5:55 PM
uni. has laundry too
<3
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 12:05 PM
I'm now in week 2, day 4 and this challenge is great fun! Even though the only way my teen is getting any fun is by slacking off at school (don't worry, he already has an A).

But what exactly is up with the graves under the floorboards and the skeletons in the basement?