Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 7:31 PM
Well done armiel, great picture!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:04 AM
simsample Excellent tutorial, so much potential. I wanted to test it with my CAW, but can't complete it because, somehow S3PE refuses to use hex editors and therefore I can't change layer digits. What version of S3PE and xvi32 did you use?
I keep getting the same error unfortunately.
Screenshots

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:44 PM
Miuki, that error usually occurs if you don't have this box ticked:

The one that says "needs quotes around filename".

Try that to see if it works.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#29 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:41 PM
Wee-e-e-e-e! It worked flawlessly! Thank you!
That's what I've got as the result. Thanks again for this brilliant (and what's important understandable even for such dummies as I am) tutorial!
Screenshots

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 2:14 PM
Bravo Miuki, well done for fixing it!

And what a pretty picture, that looks like a lovely world.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#31 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 4:18 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 24th Sep 2011 at 4:30 PM.
This time, I wanted to have the Bridgeport pigeons in my world... but bumped into a NEW problem. D : Wow, this thing is seriously delicate...

I tried opening my world in s3pe, but got this error message. I'm not sure, but this *may* have happened after some time ago when I tried to edit my sky and water files as in the tutorial of editing them. But it didn't work (and I thought to myself, well, gonna make it work later), and I probably screwed up something...?

I really don't have a clue about any of this stuff, I just do and try anything that tutorials say, so there's a good chance something blew up. : / So now I'm just kinda... lost. Hopefully I didn't accidentally do any irreplaceable damage, because I have no idea about which files I fiddled with, therefore got no idea where to start fixing it back as it were... Oh man.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 7:13 PM
Arisuka, I've seen that error before, it usually indicates there's something about the file that S3PE can't read properly.

In your case it's indicating the _KEY resource, and that's a file that is notorious for becoming corrupt. It's basically a texture database, so it contains filepath information- and for Bridgeport, that will point to a filepath on an EA server.

Try deleting the _KEY resource (there will only be one) from the world file, as CAW will regenerate it just fine.
http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-92.html
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#33 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 8:28 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 24th Sep 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Oh PHEW, man I'm relieved nothing had blown up...! Thank you again for the help, that was the solution!

Edit: Oh and hehe, it's so funny watching the pigeons walk across the world to the object's new placement when the object is moved...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 12:14 AM
I'm glad it worked Ari!

I agree about the pigeons, it's especially funny when they walk across the ocean to get there!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:52 PM
Seemingly brilliant tutorial but I have a problem.
I keep updating the hex characters to coincide with my layer that I want to import and, after editing the hex characters and saving and closing my hex editor, S3PE refuses to acknowledge any changes have occurred.
Any suggestions anyone?
Thanks,
Jay
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:01 PM
Which hex editor are you using, Jay? Do you see the 'commit changes yes/no' Dialog box?
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 7:35 PM Last edited by simsample : 23rd Oct 2011 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Merged posts
I knew I should've put that in the original message. Sorry about that.

I'm using the Free Hex Editor New x64 Edition (version 4.97.02.3667) and S3PE x64 - Front-end Distribution (version 11-0402-0951) Library Distribution (version 11-0402-0951)

The thing is, I've successfully edited the hex characters before.
I think it was when I edited the file that lets you change a world to a city.

So it's worked before but it wouldn't work this time.

I'm officially stumped!

Oh by the way, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition if that helps?
Er I've got 16GB of DDR3 RAM

Any other details required and I'll add them

Sorted it now.
Had to Export the file, edit it in Hex Editor, and then imported the file back into my World file.
Worked a charm
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 1:48 PM
Hey Jay290783, I've not tried that hex editor, try using the one I link to at the top in future to see if it's any more successful. It sounds like possibly a permissions issue- if the file you were editing was protected by UAC then that could explain things.

Well done for getting it fixed, the way you used is just slightly longer!

I'm glad you got it working.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 11:07 PM
Yeah it takes longer but it worked so that's the main thing.
I can't remember if I had to do that to change my world to a city or not.
I probably did but just forgot.
Ah well I'm getting there now with my world.
Just added the Horse Training and Equestrian Centres and the Dog Park.
Got to wait for EIG to finally save now. Just hope it doesn't crash like it did a few days ago when I added them
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 4:56 PM
I've just successfully imported effects from various EA worlds into my new custom world. When I tried to place effects above a lot however (example: smoke coming out of the science center chimneys, birds flying from roof of the city hall), they refuse to be moved beyond the edge of the lot. Do you have to place the effects first, and then the lot or is there a better way to do this?

And thank you for this brilliant tutorial by the way, I couldn't stand my non-lit lighthouse anymore!

Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#41 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 5:40 PM
I've done it just by first placing the effect, then the lot. With the chimney smoke, it requires a bit of repeating, to get the effect's position right, but that's how I did it.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 5:58 PM
Thanks Arisuka Already found the solution, if you move the effects box by typing in the coordinates rather than moving it on screen manually, it will go over the lot just fine! Yay!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#43 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 6:41 PM
Oh wow, it's great to know that works for this! Makes the placement a whole lot easier.
Test Subject
#44 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 9:34 AM
Hello simsample, thank you for your excellent tutorial, it`s brilliant!
The lighthouse light enriches my world, I love it!

I would like to translate the tutorial into german, of course, with a link to your tutorial. Do you agree ?
If you want, I'll send you the link to this german tutorial.
Test Subject
#45 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 1:58 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial and the further explanations how to import a second object of the same kind.

It worked perfectly for me and as soon as possible, I'll try to add some fireflies and such stuff.

So awesome! :lovestruc

And this is how it looks now:

1st: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2x-TRAusZ4

2nd in the distant terrain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnZ2ptItS8

And another one, 'cause I can't get enough of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVYlW4AIGY
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 10:43 PM
Well done for fixing it, Martine- that's the method I use, to manually edit the co-ordinates until I get the effect aligned by eye. I noticed that a lot of the effects, such as the chimney smoke and the lighthouse flare, are centred on the corner of the visible 'cube' that you can see in CAW, so you can visually align that to get the effect in the right place.

Kiwimaus, well done for getting it working! Lovely picture. Yes, I would be pleased to see this translated into German! If you send me a link to your forum/ website, I can put a link in my first post so that German speakers can find it easily. :D

Neph76, beautiful movies! Well done for figuring out how to place the second effect, that was a great idea by yeabil! Great work.
Test Subject
#47 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 7:01 AM
I liked yeabils idea from the moment, I read about it, as i use the same distant terrain.

Can't wait to finish the neighborhood to finally play there, but it's still so much work.
Test Subject
#48 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 11:48 AM Last edited by Kiwimaus : 15th Nov 2011 at 4:50 PM.
The german manual for your tutorial is finished, you can find it here in sims3forum.de.

It has become very long, so even for beginners.

Thank you very much for your approval. Many german sims 3-fans who don't speak english fluently, will be glad for it.
I can read and understand English well, but the writing is not so good sorry.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 5:43 PM
Wow, your tutorial is excellent, Kiwimaus! I've added a link to it in the first post, it could even help people who speak other languages through a translator, as your screenshots and explanations are excellent.

The only thing I can see which you might want to add is the screenshot I showed in post # 28, which illustrates the "needs quotes around filename" check box for if you are using XVI32.

Great work, thank you for the link!
Test Subject
#50 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 7:03 PM Last edited by Kiwimaus : 16th Nov 2011 at 7:26 PM.
Thanks a lot for your commend!
I read of Miuki's problem, but when I did this step, I did'nt have to activate this option and it worked fine.
I will complete my post with your comment.

Oh my God, I need to learn to write English...
Page 2 of 3