Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 7:12 PM
Default Converting a top, having some texture problems
So... I just converted the rocker top for females from EAxis' career outfit, but I'm having a little problem with textures on bottoms.

The mesh works fine, so far:

But, if I try to give it bottoms with a higher waist, here's what I get, both in CAS and in game:

...However, this happens only if I select the top first and the bottom second.
If I select first the bottom and THEN choose the top, the bottom texture doesn't appear on the top:

...What could cause this?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 7:38 PM
The bottom of the top is mapped to the same place as the top of the bottoms... if that makes sense. If you extracted the UVMaps for both top and skirt, and combined them into one image, there'd be overlap. Because the game doesn't use the textures separately, when it combines them into one the second texture added is overlaid on the first. This wasn't a problem with the original outfit because, as I remember it, it's a full outfit so the trousers texture never overlaps.

I don't if there's a way to specify that the top should always be on top... the easiest solution is probably to squish/move the UVMap, but do be aware that doing so will change the mapping of the skintone too if you tweak any exposed areas.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
The bottom of the top is mapped to the same place as the top of the bottoms... if that makes sense.

[...]

Because the game doesn't use the textures separately, when it combines them into one the second texture added is overlaid on the first. This wasn't a problem with the original outfit because, as I remember it, it's a full outfit so the trousers texture never overlaps.

Yep, that was what I thought, too!

Two utterly stupid questions, though...
First one: how do I extract UVMaps (using CTU)? Are they the ones called 'base textures' in CTU, by any chance?

Quote:
If you extracted the UVMaps for both top and skirt, and combined them into one image, there'd be overlap.

Second question: I'm a bit of a newbie at this, so forgive me if this is really silly
Combining top and bottom UVMaps into a single image wouldn't mean to make this process for every other bottom with a higher waist? And, even if I do that and it works... wouldn't this resolve the problem for base game bottoms only?
Hope this makes sense, I don't really know how to explain

Quote:
I don't if there's a way to specify that the top should always be on top... the easiest solution is probably to squish/move the UVMap, but do be aware that doing so will change the mapping of the skintone too if you tweak any exposed areas.

Mmmh, I've seen some other custom top meshes and none of them seemed to have that problem, but I'm not really sure how the creators could obtain that.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 9:23 PM
The UVMap is part of the mesh. If you're using Milkshape, you can edit the UVMap via Window -> Texture co-ordinate editor; or you can export the mesh as OBJ, edit the UVMap in some other program (like UVMapper, LithUnWrap or Roadkill) and then use Import -> OBJ (UV Only) to update the map in Milkshape.

The thing about combining UVMaps won't fix anything - it was just to illustrate the problem.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 9:53 PM
Oh, I see now! Lol, sorry for the misunderstanding!
Will try the UVMaps thing if I can figure it out, then...
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 11:50 AM
Make sure you clone a original similar top as base(do not clone/edit and set the Rockerfullbodyoutfit as toponly unless your updating the partmask texture and such.)
Banned
#7 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 1:05 PM
Exporting the map to another program really is doing ten times the work you really need to do. You can do it quite easily within the texture coordinate editor of milkshape.

Usually I change the texture first. Go into photoshop and scale the multipler, mask, overlay and specular to 90% or 80% along the Y axis (length). 80% almost certainly will work, but 90% might work. If you don't mind going back a few times do 90%, and if is not enough, do it again.

Use your modified multiplier as the image you will import into the texture coordinate editor. After selecting the vertices of the vest, use the scale function in the texture coordinate editor doing it to the same degree as you did with the texture (i.e. if you scaled the texture to 90%, scale your UV map along the Y axis to 90%). While you are in the texture coordinate editor, you can also double check to see that the UV map matches with the texture you are using.

I am not suggesting this approach as the best method, but it probably is a lot faster.