Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:11 PM
Default starter help quick!
Dear boys, i need help. I am just starting modding. i want to make dresses for males. In particular, this pink and black houndstooth marc jacobs dress worn by two male model, Cole Mohr and Hong Jong Hyun, both looking quite nice.

http://popseoul.files.wordpress.com...-0829.jpg?w=500

I also want to know do you need photoshop to make clothing. I don't have photoshop. Is there any alternatives to photoshop?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:20 PM
You don't have to use Photoshop. There's also The Gimp, found at gimp.org - and it's free. It's not quite as powerful as Photoshop, but it can do some nice stuff. You can use other programs too - as long as they have a DDS plugin for making the textures.

Finding a clothing mesh in that shape for males will be the hard part - I don't know if anyone's doing crossdressing clothing for TS3 yet. You'd either have to find a mesh that's about the right shape, or make one yourself. If you want to find one, you can ask in the Where Can I Find section. If you want to make your own, I'd strongly suggest starting slower with some retextures of clothing first before trying to tackle a full clothing mesh, especially a crossdressing one (which will tend to be more challenging) since you're not going to find male outfits cut much like that to alter.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:23 PM
how do you make your own mesh? And how do you load your sims onto the gimp?
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:39 PM
I think you should start with some basic tutorials.

This one on lipstick is a good basic introduction: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=381003

You'll need to get Gimp and its DDS plugin - googling "dds plugin gimp" will get you a link. Don't worry about meshing yet - you need to learn the basics of texturing first. Meshing is a LOT harder.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:55 PM
How do you do texturing?
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 5:08 PM
I linked you to a basic tutorial on doing a texturing project for TS3. It's for lipstick, not clothes, but is simpler than clothes. It doesn't tell you how to use the graphics editing program (it shows it in Photoshop but it can be done in Gimp too). You may have to google "beginners gimp tutorial" for some basic info on using the Gimp.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 7:00 PM
I have probelms with GIMP. Do yupou save it and then resart and run it!
Banned
#8 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:35 PM
I think you are being told that you need to learn to walk before you try running. It's good advice.

Maybe you can find someone to make it for you? Unfortunately, after my last experience with the cross dressing community, it will be a cold day in Hell before I help them out again! Otherwise, I probably would make the mesh for you and let you figure out the texture.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:38 PM
I am not allowed to request. it would be a dream, but it won't happen.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 9:21 PM
You're allowed to request, just not in the Sims 3 Help forum. There's a thread listing creators who take requests in the WCIF (Where Can I Find?) forum.

This is a big project for a beginner - so really it depends on whether or not you're willing to be a bit patient, and invest the extra time in learning to use GIMP, learning to texture etc.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 8:16 AM
could you five me a link to that list?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 10:03 AM
You can find it under the Help menu.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 10:40 AM
I did send onebut it is a private message. How will i get a reply?
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 11:01 AM
By private message, if they decide to reply.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 9:32 PM
Oh, yeah, if anyone makes a man-dress for me, is that persion able to post information that the dress will be posted online?
Banned
#16 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 1:42 AM
Also, if you use TSR Workshop, you apparently can now use png files rather than DDS files, which means that most paint programs could do the work. Those of us who have Photoshop probably will not be of much help in using png files.

Currently I am creating a series of lessons in making clothing. Eventually, I will make a lesson in doing what you want to do. It's very similar to a number of the projects I have done and uploaded. However, the lessons I am making now are dealing more with basics, with a view towards getting new creators used to using the various tools out there. (You can access my blog from my signature line, and once there, click on the lesson tag).

What you want to do is very advanced. I had been creating stuff for over a year before I even attempted something of that nature. A short skirt has been uploaded to this site, and I have a long skirt at my site. Both of those should offer you some practice at texturing.

The truth of the matter is that very few people are making new meshes, fewer yet making anything of this complexity, and even fewer yet wanting to make cross dressing clothes.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 8:17 AM
Really? How does TSRW handle the DDS compression issue when it converts? I'd like to assume it asks the user, but knowing TSRW it probably just uses 8.8.8.8 for everything...

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 9:06 AM
So, if you can will you ekam a dress for me?
Ekam: anagram backwards!
Will you do it?
retired moderator
#19 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 9:13 AM
MADELEYMADE - Please don't post about requests here. If you have questions about how to proceed in making the outfit yourself, that's fine, but we really don't do requests here - you've found your way to the list of creators who do requests, and PMed someone, so that's about all you can do if you don't want to make it yourself. Let's keep this thread to actual discussion of creation techniques and so forth, please.
Banned
#20 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Really? How does TSRW handle the DDS compression issue when it converts? I'd like to assume it asks the user, but knowing TSRW it probably just uses 8.8.8.8 for everything...

I really have no idea. I still use Photoshop and DDS files.

They may have the alpha layer as a separate item.

The other thing about TSR Workshop: no documentation.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Oct 2010 at 5:37 PM
Hey, i was looking at my game. This is another quick answer i need. It said put my downloadedcharatcers in savedsims. Where is this folder, as i could not find it, so i put it in gamedata. Where is the svaedsims folder in sims 3's computer settings thingy?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#22 Old 18th Oct 2010 at 7:07 PM
If you hit "Install Instructions" on the download page, there are very clear instructions on installing the content on that page. Fundamentally, you're looking in Program Files, when you should be looking in Documents.

retired moderator
#23 Old 18th Oct 2010 at 7:18 PM
And if you have further problems with installing custom content, click the Help menu at the top of every page on MTS and read our custom content FAQs (Help > Sims 3 > Custom Content FAQs). There's also help forums (linked at the top of every FAQ) where you can ask questions - but do make sure to read carefully first, as most questions about how to do this stuff can be answered by paying close attention to the instructions.

Locking, as this thread really isn't about making the original item and has gone off-topic.
Locked thread