Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 4:40 AM Last edited by yeyavailability : 18th Dec 2014 at 4:46 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Pets, Seasons, Free Time
Default [Solved] Installing to a drive other than C:
I am currently trying to install Freetime to my D: drive, which is a local disc and contains all my other Sims games. When I try to put it in D however, I get an error message saying "Cannot install to the selected directory, because it may cause the system to become unstable". I'm searched around and found only that a possible failure is if you're trying to install to an external disc, which D isn't. This is incredibly frustrating because I have already been able to install my base game and other EPs on D as mentioned (Nightlife and Seasons)--it's just Freetime that's giving me this bogus message.

Does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 4:21 PM
I installed all my sims games on a drive other than C, and Freetime worked as well as the others, so it's not a problem on that end. You need to be looking at your system. How much room is in your D drive? Which OS are you using? What's your antivirus software? Have you added or upgraded anything to your system since the last time you installed a game?

It's possible that there's an element of your system that can be told that the game is okay, or that needs to be reconfigured in order to accept the game, but you don't provide enough information about your system for anyone to make a specific suggestion.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 7:39 PM Last edited by maxon : 17th Dec 2014 at 8:29 PM.
Just done it onto my E drive - the old C drive from the other computer. No problems at all. I wonder if there's something going on with your system.

Edit to add: at one time there were instructions to manually install EPs available on the net. I can remember doing it for Nightlife for some reason that is now lost to me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 3:53 AM Last edited by yeyavailability : 18th Dec 2014 at 4:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I installed all my sims games on a drive other than C, and Freetime worked as well as the others, so it's not a problem on that end. You need to be looking at your system. How much room is in your D drive? Which OS are you using? What's your antivirus software? Have you added or upgraded anything to your system since the last time you installed a game?

It's possible that there's an element of your system that can be told that the game is okay, or that needs to be reconfigured in order to accept the game, but you don't provide enough information about your system for anyone to make a specific suggestion.

I'm using Windows 8.1 x64, running nothing but Malwarebytes, have an abundance of room on my D drive, and haven't upgraded my system since I last installed a game. The only thing I did was play the game, which is why I hadn't considered my drive being an issue before.

-- But now that I've tried installing it in my E drive and it lets me, I see that there's indeed something going on in the D drive. I cannot figure out what it could be though. Are there any general possibilities?

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Just done it onto my E drive - the old C drive from the other computer. No problems at all. I wonder if there's something going on with your system.

Edit to add: at one time there were instructions to manually install EPs available on the net. I can remember doing it for Nightlife for some reason that is now lost to me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for those instructions.

Edit: I just got this working, and it was for the most ridiculous reason ever: I had to have created the install directory inside the installer instead of in windows explorer.

Given that there are a few parent directories that I've created outside the installer, I'm not sure why it only matters for the bottom-level one I'm installing into, but it does and it works if the folder is created within the installer (while browsing for where to put files into).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 2:12 PM
OK - well that's good.

And dumb, as you say.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc