Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 3:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Help! How do you install the sims 2 1.0 Rev F?
Hi i know that maybe this thing is old but any idea how to install it on a mac it says i need some kind of update software to install it so how do i install it? I'm still on my macbook pro so pls if i can't open it i will for real
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 3:49 PM
btw i placed all the emoji for fun
Theorist
#3 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 3:03 AM
What is the exact error message you are getting? (Try it again and write it down and then come back and tell us.) Do you have a link to where you got the Rev F patch?

What system are you running on your Macbook Pro? (Snow Leopard? Lion? Yosemite? Mavericks? Something else?)

Are you playing from disc or using the Super Collection?

I had some troubles with the Rev F patch when I was on a Mac, so it can be a bit tricky.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 1:21 PM
the message i got was unable to install

I'm using Yosemite

sorry i dont know what the super collection is i just got the base game
Theorist
#5 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 1:32 PM
How did you install the base game on Yosemite? I've not heard of anyone being able to do so, but maybe you found an awesome new trick that works great. Can you boot the game up and play?

The Rev F patch will not work for you if you only have the base game, because it includes patches for EPs you don't have, like Uni and Seasons and Bon Voyage. If you can boot the game up, you would need an earlier version of the patch, but I can't find it online. Even Aspyr (the company that ported everything over to Mac-land) doesn't offer it anymore, and they suggest that you get the Super Collection.

The Super Collection is all the EPs and SPs available for Mac plus (I believe) all the patches: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the...883782620?mt=12 The Super Collection costs $30.

If you can boot up the game and play, you can play the base game unpatched (I don't think there was anything game-breaking without the patch). Your other options are to spend $30 on the Super Collection, or to spend more than that to buy Windows, install it on Boot Camp, and use the Ultimate Collection instead.

Let me know what's what and we'll see if we can't get you playing somehow.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:14 PM
i figured how to install it but now its akin for a null disk. what's a null disk? does it mean an empty disk or something?Is it a glitch or something I'm confused?
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:30 PM
You installed the game and now you're trying to boot it up and play? That sounds like the error that happens on Lion and up when trying to play with the discs. Let me see if I can explain.

The Sims 2 is an old game, and it was written in a specific programming language 10 years ago. Prgramming languages have changed a lot since then, and a computer now can't talk to a program that's 10 years old. (It would be like you trying to talk to someone from Chaucer's time.) Through the Snow Leopard operating system, there was a special program called Rosetta on every Mac that would take the old programs and "translate" them to the newer language. (This is like having a literature professor to talk to the person from Chaucer's time who would tell you in modern English what they just said and then translate your words back to them.) However, with newer operating systems like Yosemite, Rosetta doesn't exist anymore and the computer can't talk to your game. (It's like the literature professor retired and moved away.) So when your computer says there's a null disk, what it's saying is "There's nothing here I can understand. Is this, like, blank or something? Cause I got nothin'."

So no, it's not a glitch, and there's nothing you can do to make your disc work. Your best bet is to buy the Super Collection, which has been translated into a language that your Yosemite-speaking computer can understand and which doesn't cost too much. You could also install Boot Camp, buy a copy of Windows (about $200), and then buy the Ultimate Collection for PC (about $50? maybe?). But that's way more complicated, more expensive, and takes up more memory on your computer. Also, if it's not just your computer and other people use it too, then switching between Windows and Mac is a giant pain in the rear.

I'm really sorry to have such disappointing news, but you can still play! Just not right this second like you want to. Let me know if you have more questions or problems.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:49 PM
K but HOW DO YOU EXIT THE INSTALLER IT WONT LET ME RESTART BECAUSE IT WONT LET ME QUIT ANY IDEAS!?!? ( + i have to update my computer) i just fell so stupid
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:57 PM
Never never mind i got it anyway before i go and get the sims 3/4 will the sims 3/4 will work on my computer
Theorist
#10 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 3:05 PM
That I'm not sure about, since I don't play either -- you should probably ask on the Sims 3 or Sims 4 boards. But the Super Collection definitely will work on your computer, no problems, if you are willing to spend money (which it sounds like you are, since you're talking about going to get TS3 or TS4) and you want to play Sims 2.

Sims 3 board: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=561
Sims 4 board: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=669

I have heard rumors that TS3 will run on a Mac, but that it runs very poorly and with lots of glitches. (Again, I can't confirm this, because I never tried it.) Take some time and ask around before you spend any money on anything, so you're not stuck with a game you can't play... again.

Good luck!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 3:08 PM
Thx for all your help and merry christmas even though I'm not a christen I'm just thankful that somebody can help me